Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Chemistry like?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone, I'm currently in Transition Year and was wondering what Chemistry is like in the LC?

I need to pick what subjects I want to study for the Leaving Cert by the end of this week. I'm doing Biology and Chemistry (subjects needed to study medicine). However the problem is that I'm struggling in Chemistry (even though my teacher said I amn't). I enjoy Chemistry and have no problem learning off the definitions but when it comes to the "mathematical" side of it I'm completely lost. These are the type of questions I struggle with:

k7P2GVv.png
    BG5Gt8n.png

Basically most of the "calculate this" questions really... As I said before I really like Chemistry, I got a few A's but mostly B's in my chemistry tests during 1st to 3rd year. I haven't done many tests due to me being in TY but in both of my tests I've gotten a C, which is terrible especially seeing as I'm only in TY.

So my questions are:

1) What is Chemistry like in the LC?

2) Are there are a lot of mathematical questions involved like the ones above?

3) If I'm struggling and I'm only in TY should I just change subjects now while I can?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Incredible wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm currently in Transition Year and was wondering what Chemistry is like in the LC?

I need to pick what subjects I want to study for the Leaving Cert by the end of this week. I'm doing Biology and Chemistry (subjects needed to study medicine). However the problem is that I'm struggling in Chemistry (even though my teacher said I amn't). I enjoy Chemistry and have no problem learning off the definitions but when it comes to the "mathematical" side of it I'm completely lost. These are the type of questions I struggle with:

k7P2GVv.png
    BG5Gt8n.png

Basically most of the "calculate this" questions really... As I said before I really like Chemistry, I got a few A's but mostly B's in my chemistry tests during 1st to 3rd year. I haven't done many tests due to me being in TY but in both of my tests I've gotten a C, which is terrible especially seeing as I'm only in TY.

So my questions are:

1) What is Chemistry like in the LC?

2) Are there are a lot of mathematical questions involved like the ones above?

3) If I'm struggling and I'm only in TY should I just change subjects now while I can?

Those aren't particularly mathematical questions. :confused: It's just basic theory. If you study Chemistry, you'll be well able to answer them.

You shouldn't be studying Chemistry in TY.

It's probably a hard subject to get an A in. If you work hard at it, you can expect a B/C if you have no natural aptitude for it or interest in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

There isn't a lot of Maths in Chemistry, it's ordinary level stuff anyway. Moving numbers back and forth over an equation.

The LC paper for any subject will look daunting when you've only just started studying. I'm surprised you've even had any tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

If you're only in Transition Year, I don't see the value of doing such questions in Chemistry. At best, it's just going to terrify any of you who were hoping to take Chemistry as a subject. As the above poster said, of course it'll be daunting upon seeing them for the first time. While they are not terribly difficult, being able to answer these questions requires practice, as does anything else. It also develops appreciation for the subject.

Enjoy TY while you can- don't have the burden of work that you'll be doing for the next two years on your shoulders.

In relation to your question, Chemistry is a very good subject- It's interesting. The chapters compliment each other. There is also a lot of mathematical work, based on simple manipulation of formulae for the most part. If you do Physics too, they work well together. Physics is more interesting, in my opinion.

Best of luck- feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Layzerman

Those questions are all based on theory so you wouldn't be able to do them without having done volumetric analysis. The maths in chemistry is really basic, it's all following formulae.

The exam papers obviously look hard now - they looked impossible to me before I started it, but once you've the topics covered they're easy enough. Chemistry's easier than what I expected it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

I studied chemistry on my own for the leaving.

I remember mid way through fourth year (we had no ty) having a panic attack because I could not understand it.

Since talking to other people who studied chemistry for their leaving everything falls into place for most people about mid way through leaving cert.

The exam question you have chosen is probably the most difficult in recent years . The marking schemes were a big help to me as they showed exactly what the examiners were looking for because with chem the examiners tend to be very picky . . .

You have a good chance of picking up a high grade. I think something like 30% got an A last year.

Personally I would give it another go. If you want to do medicine it's an essential part of the course. It's really enjoyable subject and you'll have your eureka moment when everything fits into place until then just keep up the hard work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

They're both very simple questions, both from a theoretical and mathematical point of view.

First question is a simple case of multiplying two numbers and the second question is just plugging some numbers in to a formula. Nothing too difficult about either of them. Don't worry about the calculations in LC Chemistry, they're far from difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

I'm not sure why you would have been given a Q like that to do in TY :confused:

I'm in 5th year, we've just done four experiments relating to these type Qs and had loads of practise before moving onto exam paper Qs like that one, it seems a bit nonsensical for you to get that in TY. Anyway, we've done three chapters involving calculations so far and they're not all that bad. They are a bit difficult but it's not great honours maths, it's all formulas and methods, the difficult part is just remember which procedure to follow doing an eqt.

Honestly if you like and are interested in science, I think chemistry is a really good subject! A lot of it is based on understanding things as opposed to learning stuff off, and once you're interested in it, it won't be too bad for ya. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

i'll start by saying that i'm in leaving cert this year and haven't had the best of chemistry teachers over the two years
    BUT i will say that its a really lovely course, and it is being changed soon to be much more practical and there's even going to be a practical(i think) and there was at least two points in the course where everything we'd done up to that point made sense(having been completely lost up to that point) valency was a pretty big moment for our class. and everything has really started to fall into place since christmas. its really become one of my favorite subjects :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I do chemistry and am hoping for an A1. It's one of the harder subjects I do . There are many definitions and experiment procedures to learn .

Regarding the questions including calculations . They are very easy once you know how to do them .
    First of all establish your v1 , m1 , n1 and v2 , n2 , m2 . You will be solving for the molarity of one of the solutions. So find the molarity. Read the equation to find out the reacting ratio . It will be In moles per litre so say if the solution was made up to 250cm you would have to divide the molarity by 4 . Once you find out the molarity then find the relative molecular mass of the substances. And then use them and the molarity to solve for the mass of anhydrous na2co3 .
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

I'm in 5th year studying chemistry and I love it! It's a predictable exam you'll get the same kind of questions all the time, by the time of the exam you'll know them inside out. But it can get a bit difficult if you don't do your work you can't really guess the answers :/

• Advertisement
Advertisement