Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Interactive Media

Options
  • 22-04-2013 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Sooo I've decided on a whim to apply for the MSc in Interactive Media in UCC because the fees haven't shot up this year like I thought they would. http://www.ucc.ie/en/ckr05/

Originally I was meant to be taking a year out then applying for it so I've been ignoring all the post graduate advice all year.

Registered for the PAC website and the application seems a bit scarce? Just wondering do I just have to upload my transcripts and that's sorta it or do I need to get an academic reference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 speedytyper

yes u have to upload transcripts when the college ask you to, but as a person who has completed this course, I'd advise you to steer clear of it and UCC in general.

The website that promotes the course makes it seem very appealing, as do the lecturers when you initially email them looking for information on the course, that was my first mistake!

The layout of the course isn't what it says on the tin, and by that I mean the following.

If you don't have a computer science background - or a great grounding in the world of JavaScript, PHP, HTML, ObjectiveC or Maths, this course isn't for you.

Although the Masters is supposedly 'taught' and meant to be a conversion course, in reality it isn't.

Their is an astronomical amount of 'independent learning' involved.

UCC's version of providing a taught Masters Programme is to put the work on a two hour PowerPoint presentation and then run a one hour lab in which the lecturer either fumbles their way through it, or they assume you know how to program based on their PowerPoint the hour or day before.

It is billed as a conversion course that you can come into from any background and get through, in my experience, you may get there, but you won't enjoy a second of it.

I know this all sounds mean, and belittling for the course and the college in general, but it is a heart felt plea to anyone who is considering this course to steer clear of it.

The example I keep going back to when explaining why I disliked this course in the end is... if I was to say I done a module on Graphics and Graphic Design... most people assume, right that is Photoshop or InDesign or something along that lines.. it isn't! it was a 12 week course on Flash Action-Script and JavaScript for Photoshop - no Graphic Design element what so ever to it.

I know past graduates will prob come up here at some point, and they will all tell you the same thing - get a different course while you can, and one that you will be taught on and have a qualification that you can be proud of afterwards.

If you need any clarification on anything I've said, please feel free to ask! and what I have said, I say as someone who runs tutorials and lectures in my old college and I now see the massive difference between how I was taught for my primary degree and how I wasn't taught on my masters programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I can only reflect what the above poster has said about UCC and its Compuer Science dept lectures, they are shocking for the most part.
    I believe CIT is actually a much better college for faciitating students and assisting their learning
    noone wants to be spoon fed but UCC is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1 19cr

I also have to emphasise not to do this course unless you are willing to spend 12 months infront of youtube and wikepidia or hoplessly looking around the lab hoping that just one classmate will get it. From week 1 to 7 of first semster you will make some really good friends in your class as you spend all your spare time in the cantine as ye have nothing to do. Then comes week 8 and despite a few exceptions the lecturers will realise that they have messed up and now have 12 assignment to give u in the next 4 weeks. Of course that isn't possible and ur christmas will be spent poundering how u r meant to turn a stick man into a one minute animation. The gap between the lectures and labs and what you are excepected to do in the assignments is just ridicoulous and god forgive u have children or a part time job or any life outside of the course as in second semster this proves nearly impossible. Again it was week 8 before we got assignments and they ran into study month which gives you very little time to study for the 12 exams you have to do.

I too ignored this forum and ignored the class the year before when they told us not to do it but even if this course was free for you I would not reccomend it. Its a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 abyrne85

I completed the course last year and I feel the exact same way. The course was a waste of a year. Granted I learned a lot, but if I spent that much time learning relevant information I would be CEO of Adobe by now.

It was INTENSE. 60+ hours a week from October on. The exams were a joke, they just enforced rote-learning in an effort to keep the stats up for the department. The thesis was miserable. Feedback, direction, guidance and all that good stuff, was a myth (except for a couple of supervisors).

I walked away from that masters with a solid first, but with nothing to show for it. For the last year I've been properly learning web-design/development, working freelance, trying to build a portfolio. Like I said before, I learned a heap, but most of it didn't need learning. Had we spent that time even just a bit more constructively, we would all be immensely employable.

I'm annoyed at myself for not doing something about it last year as it could have made something better for this years class. But at the same time, I can't imagine the department are ignorant of the situation. In our year, over two thirds of the class dropped out and I imagine this year it was the same. That must have raised a few alarm bells somewhere along the line.

Bottom line: Don't do this course. Do it somewhere else or do a FAS course. There are thousands of resources to teach you everything you need to know about interactive media, and UCC is most definitely not one of those resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 trimitron

Hello,

I have some questions for those that completed this course. I plan to follow the part-time version CKR06.

On the course page (http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/postgraduate/Masters/science/page04.html#Interactive) it writes: "Part-time students are required to take three of the following core modules in each year (15 credits), for a total of six separate modules over the two years (30 credits).".

Looking over the current/last year timetable for the part-time (Interactive Media 2 programme - http://timetable.ucc.ie/1314/programme.asp), I can't seem to find ALL courses. Can't I chose any module like they say? I am limited to what the timetable has to offer?

For example, the core modules are:
    CS6100 Authoring (5 credits)
    CS6101 Digital Publishing and Hypermedia Systems (5 credits)
    CS6102 Graphics and Graphic Design (5 credits)
    CS6103 Audio and Sound Engineering (5 credits)
    CS6104 Digital Video Capture and Packaging (5 credits)
    CS6111 3D Graphics and Modelling (5 credits)

Now, looking over the current (next) year (2013/2014) timetable we can see only the following courses in the timetable: CS6101, CS6103, CS6111. But the CS6100, CS6102 and CS6104 are missing. This behaviour can be seen for the elective modules as well. What's the problem? I am looking at the wrong timetables? I thought that Interactive Media 1 (MSCIM1) is the full-time CKR05 course while MSCIM2 is the part-time CKR06

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi trimitron

Ignore the timetable that is on the UCC website, the course coordinator will email a copy to you at the start of the year.

As for the following course modules, here you go

processing environment and language - this changes year to year, the year before us had actionscript for this module
    html4, css, php and javascript all rolled into one
    isn't what it says, it is javascript for photoshop and actionscript for flash
    is what it says, but is not practical based. you will need to get familiar with wikipedia, youtube and google to find your way around the module
    is about the best module on offer for the entire course. the lecturer lets you work away in a group of your own choosing on a video project
    you will need to get familiar with wikipedia, youtube and google to find your way around the module - and you will spend Christmas working on the project for a measly ten percent of your overall mark. it is much more work than the marks allocated.

when it comes to electives in the second semester, you will see a lot of them online, but they aren't offered, so their is no choice - you will have to take whatever is on offer.

As myself and other fellow graduates of this course have stated previously, consider a different course! please!!

Thanks a lot speedytyper for the clarifications.

It seems this module isn't regarded well, and still, for some reason it makes me even more want to try this, seeing so many different technologies and inter-mingled stuff (I love this). Though this might clash severly with my will of taking up a full time job besides the course.

Unfortunately, I don't know if there are any other part-time MSc programmes, computer-science related in Cork.

PS: Any idea when the results of acceptance will be dispatched? Cause in about 5 weeks the course should start.

trimitron wrote: »

PS: Any idea when the results of acceptance will be dispatched? Cause in about 5 weeks the course should start.

have you been offered a place on the course, because as far as I remember offers come out the middle of July and it is only about two weeks before hand that you find out what you need to hand into UCC before you start.

and, yes that's how I felt when I accepted the place on this Masters, I was very wrong... you don't get to see new technologies, that's the killer... what is posted on the website and what happens on the course are two very different things. As far as I know, they are still on Adobe CS4 in UCC. The year I completed my primary degree, I was taught on CS5.1 (and not in UCC).

I think lectures start around the week of the 24th of September, so keep an eye on your emails or the pac website if that is how you applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

OP, I was interested in this course myself since finishing college but since then I decided to just brush up on my code via self learning. Code can be learnt in your own time or as a night/evening course. Plenty jobbridges in this area you could try which I would recommend. Fas as well. If I were deciding to do MM I do a short course in it or a Masters in MM I do it elsewhere or do another Masters in UCC/elsewhere instead of this one to be honest.

I know a few who done this course and I be saying the same thing avoid it like the plague or do a course similar to it else where or a course like it that is or isn't a Masters. Multimedia can be different to many other courses you do. You need a lot of time, discipline and willpower, paitence and motivation. I did it as a module in college and all I can say it was hard work I did enjoy it but was hard all the same, no matter how creative, talented or how much of an interest or not you have its not worth wrecking your head over it. I say reassess career options/courses or go for something with a blend of MM and something else. CIT be good for IT courses as well.

from the 35+ of us that started this masters, about 25 finished, with a few of us just staying for the sake of the piece of paper with M.Sc. in Interactive Media wrote on it at the end & a good few of us have planned on doing a different masters somewhere down the line (when we gather a few euros together again) cause this one doesn't qualify you in anything apart from become proficient in copy & paste and the use of youtube and wikipedia!

It is too broad for one masters (and is billed as a conversion course, but it isn't really) and the time needed to feel you have accomplished anything isn't there.

I know a few of the people on this thread and from the other MSc IM thread(s), and we all feel the same way, year in, year out - re-asses why you want this masters.

You will think you are on the pigs back for the first six weeks of this course, simply because you are doing nothing for those weeks apart from attending lectures, labs and drinking coffee, then the work is piled on and you have very little time to get the work in, despite the effort you will have put in to get the work done.

Given my time back, I would have stayed where I done my primary degree and that was far from UCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 abyrne85

For those of you who are currently sitting through this course, could you let me know if the modules advertised here are the courses that are actually running?

When I applied for this masters almost three years ago these modules were advertised but never provided. I plan on writing a letter to the registrar informing him of the false advertising. It seems the reams of complaint letters to the department aren't accomplishing much considering the course is still raking in the cash. I think pointing out the legal consequences of false advertising might finally put the fire under them.

If someone could confirm that these modules (animation, speech processing, interactive visualisation, intelligent media systems) don't actually exist. Better yet, could you link a pdf of the current timetable, or module list?

Thanks everyone

abyrne85 wrote: »
    For those of you who are currently sitting through this course, could you let me know if the modules advertised here are the courses that are actually running?

When I applied for this masters almost three years ago these modules were advertised but never provided. I plan on writing a letter to the registrar informing him of the false advertising. It seems the reams of complaint letters to the department aren't accomplishing much considering the course is still raking in the cash. I think pointing out the legal consequences of false advertising might finally put the fire under them.

If someone could confirm that these modules (animation, speech processing, interactive visualisation, intelligent media systems) don't actually exist. Better yet, could you link a pdf of the current timetable, or module list?

Thanks everyone

This is the current module list as of this site - any yes, those modules you mentioned, do not exist - the ones with a line through them in the second semester are our infamous electives which we didn't have a choice in as only six were on offer anyway.

I have pm'd you with details of the timetable

CORE MODULES (PERIOD 1)
    ELECTIVE MODULES (PERIOD 2)
    CS6105 Future and Emerging Interaction Technologies (5 credits)
    CS6110 Animation (5 credits)
    CS6112 Image Processing (5 credits)
    CS6113 Internet-based Applications (5 credits)
    CS6114 Digital Video Compression and Delivery (5 credits)
    CS6115 Human Computer Interaction (5 credits)
    CS6116 Mobile Multimedia (5 credits)
    CS6117 Audio Processing (5 credits)
    CS6118 Speech Processing (5 credits)
    CS6119 Interactive Visualisation (5 credits)
    CS6120 Intelligent Media Systems (5 credits)
    PROJECT PHASE (AFTER PERIOD 2)
    CS6200 Project (30 credits)

Well, it seems they got "covered" by the following note: ~Note: Not all elective modules may be offered in a particular year. ~

Unfortunately, that pretty much gives them the freedom to chose any course they want to offer the elective ones. :(

trimitron wrote: »
    Well, it seems they got "covered" by the following note: ~Note: Not all elective modules may be offered in a particular year. ~

Unfortunately, that pretty much gives them the freedom to chose any course they want to offer the elective ones. :(

they changed the site since I looked at it last, but ya, it gives them the freedom to run whatever they want now.

the majority of us had picked Image Processing in the second semester, but ended up with audio again and when we tried to push UCC on the issue, we only got a political answer as to why they couldn't give us the module.

Well, I did it:D I've just accepted the part-time CK06 Interactive Media Master :) - I've been offered the Mobile one too, but I really need just a part-time + job.

Do you know when the term will start? 16th of September, the same as BSc ones? What about the registration? I didn't get yet any details from UCC.

I would like to say congratulations on accepting the course, but I'll withhold as I know all about the badly planned, money spinner of a course you are heading into.

Yes, you will be starting the week of the 16th of September, with orientation on the first day to show you the lay out of the western gateway and the equipment you will never be allowed to use, even though they will convince you on the first day that it is available to students (and you will pretty much be doing nothing for the first six weeks, so get to know your class mates and learn how to work together including each others strengths and weaknesses, as that is all that will get you from one end of the year to the next).

You will need to submit stuff through the pac website (if you have applied that way) and you will need to submit stuff to the fees and registration office on the Quad in UCC. You will be informed of a date (the same week) to be in Kampus Kitchen to collect your student card.

Congrats hope it work out for you doing it part time and job. Let us know how you get on!

I started 3rd or 4th week of september might be roughly the 16th. Might be sooner as you doing masters but most students including undergrads tend to start around the same date.

You get a letter sent out giving you details that be required before you start, student number, pick option subjects, youve until october to decide but usually go with majority. Same happened in my course.

I picked vb and technology management but all the class had to do java as option subject as the majority of the class picked it we all had to do it due to not having resources to teach both.

Best of luck with the course trimitron!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mediagrad

Hi guys,

I also took the course this year and I enjoyed it. I would just like to say that the overrding opinion that this course is really bad, is not representative of how everyone in the class feels about the course. I actually quite enjoyed the course, as did many others in the class. It is intense, but sure why would you want it to be easy? I personally prefer being thrown into the deep end than being spoon fed.

I do acknowledge that the layout of the course could have been better. It would make more sense to have two hours of tutorials instead of two hours lectures. I also felt that they covered too much subject matter too loosely. Web, progeamming, audio, video, animation etc. and it would probably have been more beneficial to focus on a smaller number of subjects more intensely. On the otherhand, no one knows what software or programming language you will be using on a job, and a skill you learn from this course is how to pick up things quickly! As it is definitely a sink or swim situation!

I also had no background in any sort of computer science and I am not saying I picked it up particularly quickly, but I enjoyed the challenge. There were also many other people who didn't have a CS background but figured it out as they went along and also really enjoyed the course! The lecturers are not going to take you from basics, they will just throw it at you, and you will just have to figure it out! But sure that's the fun of it! :P

Anyways, the course is not for everyone, but I certainly enjoyed it and I am glad I did it! If you just take it as it comes, have a positive attitude and work well with your classmates you will be grand! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 simplesole

the thing is, and I've been watching the msc threads on here with a few years, it is representative of most of the general proportion of graduates of this course, myself included.

out of the three or more threads that are 'on the go' here on boards about this particular course, you are the only student who feels this way about the course mediagrad - so ya, I take on board what you said, but having sat the course myself, I am now completing a masters that is being taught, not being googled!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mediagrad

Well I can only speak for my own class, I can't speak for everyone who has graduated. In my class, I found that the people who didn't like the course were a lot more vocal about it. They had strong opinions about why they didn't enjoy it. This is fair enough, if you have a negative experience of something you're probably going to be more opinionated about it. I totally understand that.

I think it's fair to agree that no one thought it was the most amazing course in the world. As you can see from my previous post, I had some issues with it. However, there are people in the class who did enjoy the course.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "the thing is, and I've been watching the msc threads on here with a few years, it is representative of most of the general proportion of graduates of this course, myself included." Do you mean from watching these threads, you can see that most people who comment have had a negative experience. Well obviously that is true. You're not going to bother going on boards to talk about it, if you were happy enough with your experience.

On the other hand, you could mean that you know that the majority of graduates of this course have had a bad experience. But sure, there's no way of you knowing that unless you have talked to all the graduates of the course. Not just the ones who have had a bad experience, who are willing to talk about it on boards!

I am probably being pedantic. But anyways, I still stand by saying that (for my class anyways) the posts on this wall are not representative of how everyone felt about the course this year.

You also say out of the three or more threads that are 'on the go' here on boards about this particular course, you are the only student who feels this way about the course mediagrad. I know that. The only reason I replied to this thread is because I felt that the posts did not represent everyone. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Transposition

Hi guys,

I'm considering applying for this course for Sept 2014. I've only one pressing question at the moment, and would be very grateful if somebody could provide info.

- If doing the part-time option CKR06, would it be possible to retain part-time employment (Mon-Weds, 8-5)? I understand there are compulsory-attendance lectures and labs?

From the feedback here, it doesn't seem like the lectures and labs would be of that much practical benefit, or at the very least, they don't sound indispensable. But if there is a compulsory-attendance rule, it would seem a shame, as I can't see myself being able to commit to something like this full-time. I'd need to keep my job (which, as it happens, it quite related to the course content).

I think it be difficult enough to keep on part time employment doing this course, as I know a few who did the full time course said the part timers felt was a full time course rather than a part time course. Its pretty full on.

I'd suggest to look at other Uni's or IT's doing similar course. There's just too many subjects to do. My advice either do it full time or not at all. You find it hard enough to fit in both the course part time and job part time. I say one or the other to be honest. Unless you pick a similar course or do another course part-time. If you need to keep the job your in I suggest look else where for a course. Would an evening or night course suit you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Transposition

Thanks doovdela,

I have to say I'm relieved (and saddened) that I stumbled upon this boards thread. I only did additionally searching because the module descriptions I was able to find were so vague, mentioning neither specific software nor languages used. The course just sounded so perfect at first, as I'm looking for a creative course that doesn't shy away from the technical side of things.

To give you a bit of background, I'm nearly 31, I have a BA and MA in Philosophy, have a good drawing ability and eye for design/photography, am teaching myself HTML5, CSS3, Javascript and Processing, and in my part-time job I'd often do a bit of graphic design. I'd probably be more a creative than a technical person, but am quite comfortable with both. This is why I thought the course might be a good fit. But from the sounds of it, even if I completed the course, I wouldn't have a solid grounding in anything in particular. And I really dislike learning things just to scrape by. I always feel uneasy if I don't understand something properly.

I've also had a look at DIT's MSc in Creative Digital Media, but it being in Dublin is a problem. Other than that it looks great.

Last Sept I started Hertfordshire's online Comp Sci conversion masters, but it didn't work out. When in difficultly I felt there was little support, and reluctantly I dropped out. I had pinned a lot of hopes on that one, so at this point I'm feeling a little lost to be honest. But that course also made me realise that it's design that I'm far more interested in, but I still very much enjoy programming insofar as it relates to design. Ultimately I'd rather be in academia (I'd like to teach) than in the commercial sector, so if I find the right Masters it's quite possible I'd continue on to do further research. This makes it even more important for me not just to 'scrape by' - the piece of paper plays its part of course as I couldn't proceed further without it, but probably becomes irrelevant as soon as further research begins.

Sorry if I've gone overboard in providing info. Thanks again for replying. Looks like it's back to the drawing board for me! If only DIT's MSc (or something similar) was offered via distance-learning... I haven't checked UL at all yet, and as my mum recently moved back to Limerick, driving up and down from Cork may just be possible.

Iv heard U.L and D.I.T do a good interactive creative media masters if you can do one of them have a look into them or do a specific area of multimedia as a distance or night course.

Fetac and plc courses might give you a taster what be involved in a course in multimedia. Iv done as a module as part of my degree. It was a lot of hard work. You need to have a lot of comittment to it. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Has anybody on here done the Software Systems for Mobile Networks.

http://www.ucc.ie/en/ckr07/

Again, it looks good on paper, but after reading this thread I'm starting to think otherwise :confused:

It wouldn't be as popular as the computer science masters one. There seems to be a lot of subjects in it but depends what you want from it and career aspirations. Some courses look good on paper unless there is good structure to it and put in what you get out of it will it be worth doing, every masters is different. So look at all possible options.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CorkRebell

Hi All,
    I’ve been offered a place on the MSc in Interactive Media in UCC however I have read very mixed reviews from students of previous years in this forum and i’m having second thoughts. Can anyone that has done the course in the last year or two say if the issues with course have been resolved and if they would recommend it? Thanks a million!

Advertisement