Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings Inn Application form (Declaration Question)

Options
  • 22-04-2013 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi
    I want to continue on a take the Bar exams however I need some clarification. Over 11 years ago while in active addiction I got into trouble with the law.I have a number of convictions. I am very willing to declare everything and will have no problem getting references from persons in my community. Id like to know whether there is an instant refusal due to prior criminal conduct. All offences I committed were while I was intoxicated. I have been in recovery 11 years. I returned to education completing my leaving cert and two degrees. I also opened a business and employ several staff . In the Bar rules it says that applicants will be disqualified if

(i) he is for any reason considered by the benchers to be unsuitable for admission.

I know that currently it is not possible to have my record expunged ..even though legislation might change this soon.

can anybody help please ..all feedback appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved from Newbies & FAQ to Legal Discussion with redirect expiring in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Its up to the benchers. Just apply and see. Or call the KI and ask for a list of benchers names and call one of them to explain, try Fergal Foley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I'm sure you'd have to make an honest declaration; if the facts emerged later the Inns would probably take a dim view at that stage.

Advertisement