Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1987 idents

Options
  • 21-04-2013 10:31pm

I stumbled across some presentation from RTE in the mid 80s recently:

250413.jpg

250414.jpg

Were these used interchangeably, or did one set replace the other? I have vague memories of the RTE 1 ident with the black background, but I've no memories of the blue background ones.

That corporate logo looks archaic now; in fact I'd think it looked dated when it was new.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I hadn't even recalled that there were more than one ident set during this period. But apparently so. There was a version of the RTÉ1 ident that saw the St Bridget's Cross morph into the "1". That one, I think, is the one with the darker background. Looking at it I'd imagine the top ones replaced the second - i'd be surprised if it was the other way around.

That RTÉ logo - introduced for Telefis Éireann's twenty-fifth anniversary - was awful. It lasted on screen for only about 18 months or so. It remained the corporate logo, astonishingly, for another six years after that but was practically never used on screen - they tended just to use "RTE" in a serif font. The design it was replaced with, on the other hand, is a classic - its seventeen years old now and yet looks as great as the day it was introduced.

Yeah, here's one of each. I also have a saved copy of the RTE 1 ident with the dark background, got it from a video site back in 2001. It has the same tune as the blue one but sounds like it was composed electronically. It does indeed morph from the St Brigid's Cross to the 1 as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hideous!

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement