Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade racers with checkpoints for ps1 or ps2

Options
  • 21-04-2013 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

I was thinking recently a genre of games I like but don't have a lot of are arcade racers with checkpoints. Like sega rally or outrun for example.

Have to be pal for now. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, check points, Vanishing Point is an interesting one, on both the PS and DC.
    It's a racer plus has a great stunt mode.

What about Test Drive Unlimited, that's on the PS2 and impressive because they managed to get so much of the 360 edition into it.

Shox is a novel one, an arcade racer to the bone and it wasn't part of the up and coming games of the day so it flopped, meaning EA didn't make any more, but of itself it's a blast and in the Sega Rally mode.

Rollcage and Rollcage 2 are simply brilliant, both on the PS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it's a shame Gaelco never released World Rally Championship on any console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Can't remember if the first wipeouts had checkpoints mid lap. They were definitely time limits per lap but not sure if they were mid lap as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Some good suggestions thanks. Forgot about rollcage in particular.

That said since I posted this I got the namco arcade stick so I'd say it'll be fighting games and schumps for the next while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Namco stick & The Raiden Project = bliss :)

o1s1n wrote: »

It's on my to get list. Until then it'll be lots of tekken and gunbird.

Then I'll get the ps2 to 360 adapter so I play some cave schumps, street fighter and kof.

Gonna be a good few weeks. My first arcade stick! Woohoo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Namco Stick + Modded PS & Raiden DX = Gone straight to Shmuppy heaven!

+ telly in TATE mode (on it's side) = Gone past Shmuppy heaven, into Shmuppy Rapture!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

@murphyebass: Excellent purchase! That Namco stick is one of the best there is.

What about this for a cool twist; Namco stick + Tototek Saturn adapter + chipped Jap Saturn + Garegga. All vert ofc. :cool:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    @murphyebass: Excellent purchase! That Namco stick is one of the best there is.

What about this for a cool twist; Namco stick + Tototek Saturn adapter + chipped Jap Saturn + Garegga. All vert ofc. :cool:

Cheers Andrew. It seemed like a lot of money to pay (€58.50 all in) but then again there are just so few of them about. That said it'll be my luck that I'll see one on adverts for a tenner or something once I get this one in the post .. yeah your right I'd probably but it as well. :rolleyes:

Anyway reeeeally lookin forward to gettin it now. Proper kid before xmas feeling about this purchase.

• Advertisement

Those sticks are expensive everywhere, so well done on picking one up.
    I guess they are almost all in the hands of enthusiasts now, so fewer and fewer will appear on the market at cheap prices, they'll probably only get more expensive as time goes on.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Those sticks are expensive everywhere, so well done on picking one up.
    I guess they are almost all in the hands of enthusiasts now, so fewer and fewer will appear on the market at cheap prices, they'll probably only get more expensive as time goes on.

Yeah it'll be nice to own one. And I know I'll use it as I've become rather addicted to Tekken Tag of late. Plus got Tekken 5 not so long ago which has 1,2 and 3 on it so I have a lot of tekken ahead of me.

Should be good for virtua tennis 2 as well.

And of course Gunbird.

Hopefully its in decent nick now. It was described as excellent condition and looked good in the picture so we'll see I suppose.

Its mad how they've become so hard to get. As you say though must be the enthusiasts are just holding on to them so when they go up for sale (rarely) they go for decent money.

On the issue of checkpoint racers I'm going to pick up Ridge Racer for the PS1. Was watchin videos of it on youtube this morning. Its been a while since I had a go of it.

Will look at rollcage and shox when I get a chance properly. I remember when rollcage came out. I never played it though. It was like a wipeout on wheels if I remember correctly.

Lastly, what about motorbike games with checkpoints. Are there any?

The last edition of TT Superbikes on the ps2 is good, the entire Isle of Man track is there.
    Rage Racer on the PS is one of my favourites, loses the artificial look of the first and second games of the series and plays wonderfully, very nice indeed.

Ridge Racer Revolution was my first play in the series when I bought it with my ps1.
    Thought is was an awesome game with a thumping soundtrack.

I bought ridge racer afterwards but found it less playable than revolution.

Any remember rave racer? Was gutted that it never appeared on ps1. Think I vaguely recall it being in the Atari Expo in the Square. Was a noisy beast of a cab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah I remember playing it somewhere years ago, enjoyable enough but it just lacked the charm the originals had for me. From then on, Ridge Racer games never actually felt like Ridge Racer games on the PS1...never got the appeal of them, actually thought they're fairly forgettable games

I played revolution for hours and hours. Partly because I loved it and partly be wise I was a broke secondary school student who had to work part time to fund it all himself!

I played Rage Racer but not much after that apart for the first psp game.

The last edition of TT Superbikes on the ps2 is good, the entire Isle of Man track is there.
    Rage Racer on the PS is one of my favourites, loses the artificial look of the first and second games of the series and plays wonderfully, very nice indeed.

Had a look at TT Superbikes there. Looks like a decent game but its not what I'm after.

I'm lookin for games that have a checkpoint system like Outrun or Sega Rally.

Lookin for the arcade feel I suppose more than the simulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I picked up OutRun 2006- Coast 2 Coast a week or two ago on PS2, and it's a great little checkpoint challenge game. Easy to play, and a hell of a lot of fun. Also, honoury mention to Speedster on Ps1... just because it's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I just discovered a PS1 game that might be up your alley. Dunno your rig-up, but it's NTSC-only, called Dead in the Water. It's got battle elements, but is mainly a racer.

It's available on that site I posted yesterday for pittance.

• Advertisement

deathrider wrote: »
    I picked up OutRun 2006- Coast 2 Coast a week or two ago on PS2, and it's a great little checkpoint challenge game. Easy to play, and a hell of a lot of fun. Also, honoury mention to Speedster on Ps1... just because it's crap.

Honestly, the Xbox version of Outrun 2006 is much better.

Speedster isn't that bad, I met one of the development team and he told me the full story about it.
    They were getting tons of support from Sony, who were looking for a racer to appeal to the Mario Kart market.
    They worked very hard, producing a professional product and brought it to the E3.
    And when they arrived top setup they found Sony putting Crash Team Racing, hitherto unannounced, into pride of place and Speedster was buried.
    It did well in reviews at release but it was given no support from Sony and the general tanked.

Honestly, the Xbox version of Outrun 2006 is much better.

Speedster isn't that bad, I met one of the development team and he told me the full story about it.
    They were getting tons of support from Sony, who were looking for a racer to appeal to the Mario Kart market.
    They worked very hard, producing a professional product and brought it to the E3.
    And when they arrived top setup they found Sony putting Crash Team Racing, hitherto unannounced, into pride of place and Speedster was buried.
    It did well in reviews at release but it was given no support from Sony and the general tanked.

That's a sad story and all, but it's still a really bad game. It's slow, and threw controls are muck. It was far from great back in the day, but age really ain't been kind to it. It's just a very boring game.

Which Xbox version? The original Xbox, or the XBLA? I believe it's available on both, but I haven't played either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I remember a decent checkpoint arcade racer called Speed-Up...only ever seen it the one time but was a twin sit down machine, good arcade fun

Which Xbox version? The original Xbox, or the XBLA? I believe it's available on both, but I haven't played either.

The original xbox one, the arcade hardware that Outrun 2 ran on was essentially an xbox with more ram.

Speedster, are you thinking of an overhead viewed racer?
    I'm talking about a different game, my mistake, it was called Speedfreaks.
    My bad!

The original xbox one, the arcade hardware that Outrun 2 ran on was essentially an xbox with more ram.

Speedster, are you thinking of an overhead viewed racer?
    I'm talking about a different game, my mistake, it was called Speedfreaks.
    My bad!

Yeah, the top-down racer. It was muck. Speed Freaks (I think it's known as Speed Punks across the pond) was good fun though. Cute little go-kart racer. Was that made in Ireland? I remember hearing years ago that it was.

Thats the one my tale of woe is from, I think that Sony did a bit of idea stealing from the Speedfreaks team as well, to bolster the Crash Team Racing product.
    They were screwed over big time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

outrun c2c is fantastic and quite frankly everyone should own a copy.
    I've a softspot for the sega ages remake of Outrun.
    (I knows my outrun as I've played .. a bit..)

The Sega Ages remake is weird, not the new one, 3d and all, but feels very very like the original, still it's no where near as pitiful as the Goldenaxe remake on the same disk!

I had speed freaks on the ps1. That was a decent litte kart racer.

I suspect it won't have aged well but defo worth checking out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

+1 for Rage Racer

Porche Challenge is an oft-forgotten little arcade racer that had some really good course design. Well worth picking up.

Advertisement