Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does your University really matter?

Options
  • 21-04-2013 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

What I mean is, if a company gets two applicants, both with the same degree - say in computer science - but from different colleges. Do the colleges that the two applicants attended have an influence on their decision?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭who what when

Yes, I'm afraid it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Yes.

Not so much on the reputation of the university but the reputation of the course itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

In Ireland, not really. Abroad, perhaps.

What really counts is your grade. College courses and thus your degree has a grade. From First Class Honor's to Pass. The higher you achieve the better. Its irrelevant if you went to the best CSI course in the world if you just had a bare pass. Most jobs will not even consider you if you have below a Second Class Honours, Grade 1 (Known as a 2.1)

Employers also want experience. So you could get a job before a far superior candidate purely based on an internship, thesis or previous job you had.

I'm an Electronic Eng. with a Masters in Electronic Eng. & Computers. So ask any questions you have and I'll try answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Yes as some people are bias when hiring depending on where they went etc.

But honestly once you get beyond entry level, people care a hell of a lot more about your experience and work than what college you were in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

The again, everywhere is different. I was taken into a full-time position in a place where I was a member of the relief panel ahead of someone who had an actual qualification for the work we were doing. I think that it had to do with seniority and time served. Also, I had a degree that was to be completed. But if I had been the employer and I was looking at the cold facts on paper between me and the other eligible candidates, I would have taken the other guys' credentials into account more. But if you do your best, you can't regret too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Thanks for all of the replies.

Basically I'm looking at Computer Science. My two preferences would be Trinity and UCD. I personally like the look of UCD better: more modern, brand new building, great atmosphere. However, Trinity is ranked as a better college in world rankings.
    My dilemma really is which one I should pick. Most likely I'd be going abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

I don't think you should pick a college based solely on reputation. If you prefer the look of UCD, go there. In saying that, the only reason Trintiy is above Galway in my CAO for History is because of reputation/points required heh..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Prodigious wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the replies.

Basically I'm looking at Computer Science. My two preferences would be Trinity and UCD. I personally like the look of UCD better: more modern, brand new building, great atmosphere. However, Trinity is ranked as a better college in world rankings.
    My dilemma really is which one I should pick. Most likely I'd be going abroad.

Won't make any odds in my opinion. Your grade, life experience and previous experience will add a lot more weight to your job application. Employers want people who can hit the ground running with minimal training (Which costs them money) A CSI candidate from UCD or Trinity will be exactly the same, but if one has previous SQL, C++ or some other (Job applicable) skill/certificate they will get the job.

All CSI courses follow a fairly similar line so being from one college or another isn't really going to sway an employer. Also CSI is a very general field so you'll need to add to your CV on the way. My advice would be to do as many internships, placements and external courses as you can. Good CSI candidates can be hard to find and if you are one you'll quickly climb any ladder.

Oh, and rankings mean absolutely nothing. I know people who went to Trinity and hated every second. Likewise, I was in UCD and some people preferred Trinity. Go to the college that you like and actually want to be in. I cannot stress that enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭who what when

To be honest if you get a first class honours from either Trinity or UCD you're in a very strong position. You have nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I was in the same position as you, I wasn't sure whether to do Engineering in UCD or Trinity, mainly due to the fact that Trinity has a better reputation, and I did notice those rankings too. I have settled on Engineering in UCD now though because you really don't want to be in a place you don't want to be for the next 4+ years of your life, and the reputation of the college to go to doesn't generally matter for the employer, it is all about your degree and experience. And anyway, the standard of the departments within each college can vary too, eg. Trinity has a bigger reputation for Arts than it would for Engineering or Science.

But yeah UCD looks class and I can't see myself going anywhere else next year! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

The courses I'm looking at are TR033 and DN201.
    I just noticed that TR033 is a BA degree while the DN201 is a BSc degree.
    Is that a factor that should be taken into account?

Advertisement