Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about gender identity

Options
  • 20-04-2013 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,
    So, for a long time I've been unsure about my gender identity. I've always felt uncomfortable or removed from my own body for as long as I can remember. During my teenage years, it didn't bother me as much but since getting to college and having more time to think these things over, I've started to think about it more and more. I would identify as straight as my current gender (male) but I've always been hesitant to try and get into relationships because this thing has always been at the back of my mind. I've been thinking about it a lot lately and I'm not really sure what I should do about it. Should I talk to someone about it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I just don't know what to do at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Confused 20 Something

...I'm guessing that's a no then. Does anyone know someone I can talk to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Danny Edwards

I was like that up until I was 19. I was almost certain I'd move out at 18 and search for a way I can live my life as a woman, but as I hit 19, I felt more masculine and content with my body (I've actually taking up bodybuliding). It's really hard to explain, some days I wanted to be a man with a pre-op girlfriend, then some days, I wanted to be a pre-op myself. I always felt my penis was apart of me but I should have breasts and look like a woman. However, if I found a beautiful pre-op girlfriend to grow old with, I'd die a happy man.

I'm kind of glad I grew out of my crossdressing phase because I'm way too manly looking now to transition. Reading articles and watching documentaries on ladyboys/trannies, they start taking medication to prevent puberty - I hit puberty at 11, which is two years earlier than average, so trying to make my body look feminine would be difficult then it would be if I prevented puberty.

You're better off trying to contact some of Ireland's member of the transgendered community and seeking their experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

You are welcome to PM me if you like :) I was in a similar position myself, and am now progressing to transition. Also in a similar age bracket :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

...I'm guessing that's a no then. Does anyone know someone I can talk to?

sorry, it seems that very few trans people post here these days, so that's probably why your thread has been overlooked.

On Teni's First Port of Call page, you can find the number for Vanessa, if you need someone to talk to. There are many support groups around Ireland, which can be a great help. and also, there's Dr. James Kelly, a psychologist who I would highly recommend. Message me if you want his number

I really hope that helps ;)

I was like that up until I was 19. I was almost certain I'd move out at 18 and search for a way I can live my life as a woman, but as I hit 19, I felt more masculine and content with my body (I've actually taking up bodybuliding). It's really hard to explain, some days I wanted to be a man with a pre-op girlfriend, then some days, I wanted to be a pre-op myself. I always felt my penis was apart of me but I should have breasts and look like a woman. However, if I found a beautiful pre-op girlfriend to grow old with, I'd die a happy man.

I'm kind of glad I grew out of my crossdressing phase because I'm way too manly looking now to transition. Reading articles and watching documentaries on ladyboys/trannies, they start taking medication to prevent puberty - I hit puberty at 11, which is two years earlier than average, so trying to make my body look feminine would be difficult then it would be if I prevented puberty.

You're better off trying to contact some of Ireland's member of the transgendered community and seeking their experience.

Thanks for the advice :)

• Advertisement

Meesared wrote: »
    You are welcome to PM me if you like :) I was in a similar position myself, and am now progressing to transition. Also in a similar age bracket :)

Thanks, I think I'll send you a PM in a bit :)

Links234 wrote: »
    sorry, it seems that very few trans people post here these days, so that's probably why your thread has been overlooked.

On Teni's First Port of Call page, you can find the number for Vanessa, if you need someone to talk to. There are many support groups around Ireland, which can be a great help. and also, there's Dr. James Kelly, a psychologist who I would highly recommend. Message me if you want his number

I really hope that helps ;)

Thank you for the advice. I think I will PM you for that number. Also, sorry if the above response seemed a little annoyed, I was just a bit frustrated at the time.

Advertisement