Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain in Winter

Options
  • 20-04-2013 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here been to Spain in the winter like November or December?

Debating going for a week with the lads?

Wana know would it be much craic that time a' year? :P

Help me AH :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Spain is sort of a big place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

You'll be lucky if the plane actually lands in the airport given the extreme blizzards which manifest at that time of year. When it's not the constant blizzard to contend with, the torrential rain and flooding renders walking in the city impossible bringing it to a total standstill with all tourist opportunities terminally extirpated. As such, all parks and museums will be closed and it won't be possible to purchase alcohol given that all public houses and shops are shut. Apart from that, it's a great time of year to visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Spain is sort of a big place.

It's not is it?

Never knew that now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The weather in the costa Del Sol is nice in November/December. Temperatures can get up as far as high teens and into the 20s on occasions.

It's low tourist season and so many of the pubs and restaurants close at the end of October and so I'd say craic would be whatever you make yourselves as you I retry much be on your own except for the locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

We went in winter. Got off plane, got to deserted hotel in deserted, shut resort. went for windblown walk on frigid beach. Mad, deserted beach dog bit youngest kid. Hotel is built for summer. This is not summer. Hotel is cold, very cold. Pool is drained for maintenance. All restaurants are shut. Cold, starved and bitten, we go home after 3 days. It was great..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Stop debating, get the Lads On Tour! Down tools and down pints! Wait, 'the lads'... my lads are 'the lads' as well... you going with my lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Go to Madrid, Barcleona, Valencia etc.

Avoid the resorts at all costs.

I remember going to Turkey off season once, the hotel was in disrepair, it was comical to say the least. It was cheap, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

We went in winter. Got off plane, got to deserted hotel in deserted, shut resort. went for windblown walk on frigid beach. Mad, deserted beach dog bit youngest kid. Hotel is built for summer. This is not summer. Hotel is cold, very cold. Pool is drained for maintenance. All restaurants are shut. Cold, starved and bitten, we go home after 3 days. It was great..
    So ............. you'd recommend it then? :D

All good feedback so far :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

You sure that wasn't an Irish Coastal Resort in the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

If the thread irritated you, then stay away and dont bother with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The canarys would be a much better option than mainland Spain in the winter,weatherwise they have it good all year round so your ok there,the resorts would be a lot quieter but again because of the weather plenty of people take a winter week out there so yiz wouldn't be the only ones there.prices with package operators would be on par with mainland Spain,and when your actually there all the necessities,ie booze,cigs and stuff are a lot cheaper because of the tax free status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Large parts of Spain are lovely at all times of the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

puerto del carmen in lanzarote is good in the winter months

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Seville, you won't regret it.

Bring shoes though for getting into clubs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

After the "resort" paled(took less than 24 hrs) we headed to Barcelona, because that had to be better, right? Let's just say I wouldn't be too gone on Barcelona in the rain. People rave about it, I just didn't see the attraction tbh.

daver123 wrote: »
    puerto del carmen in lanzarote is good in the winter months

Did there seem to be many holidayers out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where in Spain are you going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Was in Madrid during November, was chilly! But still the while I was there it was pretty dry. Wrap up well and find a nice senorita to keep you warm ;D

biko wrote: »
    Where in Spain are you going?

You see I dont know yet, im kinda looking for advice on where the best place for a winter break would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I went to Malta in January, I got flights and accommodation for 2 for €350 in St. Julian's.
    Our hotel was in a shopping centre opposite a strip of pubs and clubs (of all kinds ;) ) Every night bar Monday was bopping, granted it was mostly locals in the clubs, but it was fun and drink was cheap! The typical Irish bars were packed to capacity most nights, very tight squeeze! I'd actually highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

It's not is it?

Never knew that now!!!
    To be fair, it does depend on which part.
    You can be skiing in the Pyrenness or eating al fresco in Seville.
    I lived in Spain for a number of years and can tell you
    A. It can be as cold as home at night time. Bloody freezing.
    B. Feels colder than home, as they don't build well built housing with insulation, cavity walls or double glazing.
    C. With the Spanish crisis, there is little party time these days..... particularly in Oct/Nov. Most bars and nightclubs in the coastal resorts close their doors after September. It's utterly dead.

I'd recommend Andorra to be honest. Beautiful scenery, very cheap for fags and booze, ski resorts, and plenty of young whippersnappers.
    Ryanair flight to Girona. Hire a car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Did there seem to be many holidayers out there?

Go skiing in central/eastern Europe. The tourist areas in Spain are dead in the winter and Barcelona and Madrid are coldish at that time of year.

Go skiing, go to an old soviet style bunker and pay 30 euro to shoot choppers for the afternoon, go and watch the local soccer team play and experience the mad fans, drink delicous cheap beer,try and click with some of the local chicks - and if you are as lame as me, fail miserably and pathetically. :)

You will have a better time and half the expense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

where in spain,the weather is bad, head tt the canneries weather is better

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

After the "resort" paled(took less than 24 hrs) we headed to Barcelona, because that had to be better, right? Let's just say I wouldn't be too gone on Barcelona in the rain. People rave about it, I just didn't see the attraction tbh.
    I went from loving the place to despising it.
    Full of thieves, pickpockets and angst.
    The centre is a tacky kip at night. As creepy as O Connell St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Has anyone here been to Spain in the winter like November or December?

Wana know would it be much craic that time a' year? :P

Help me AH :)

If it's mainland Spain, it won't be warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Why did you not look into the winter climate of the area?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I went to Barcelona in November one year - weather was like spring/early summer here: dull and relatively mild, the odd bit of sun (well "here" up to a couple of years ago, not the sh1tty springs/early summers we've had in recent years).

Advertisement