Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Momentum Training Advice Fair

Options
  • 20-04-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey everyone,

Got a invitation to a training and advice fair run by Momentum a IT training company that offer experience with course training from s.welfare. Thing is, im already on a Springboard Part Time three year course in computing? Anyway, going to go along as it says if I don't it may effect my claim. My local office knows about my course but this letter came from a place not in Dublin. Anyone else on a course already got a letter like this? Or anyone been to their fairs? Is it just training options or can you avail of w experience opportunities at them minus the course bit since im already on a Level 8 course.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Technologic25

P.S was going to phone the place from where I got the letter to say im already on a training IT course but not going to chance that they say I don't need to go and then have a problem at a future date over me not attending as my name will obviously be already on the list as letter says if you don't go and register it can result in a problem with your claim!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey,

I received a letter from these guys yesterday. I'm going to go to the information session as they said if I don't then it may affect my claim. I've been looking into doing courses but the one they have me attending doesn't suit me to be honest.

Did you go to the info session? What's the story with it? Will they force me to do the course or can I tell them I want to do a course I'm actually interested in? Any advice would be great thanks.

Guest(B) wrote: »
    Hey,

I received a letter from these guys yesterday. I'm going to go to the information session as they said if I don't then it may affect my claim. I've been looking into doing courses but the one they have me attending doesn't suit me to be honest.

Did you go to the info session? What's the story with it? Will they force me to do the course or can I tell them I want to do a course I'm actually interested in? Any advice would be great thanks.
    Guest(B) wrote: »
    Hey,

Hey, yeah I went along. Once I told them I was doing a long term course already I was free to leave, letter had been sent in error as I wasn't the only person on a course already who had received a letter. I met a friend down there who wasn't on a course, but she didn't sign up to any as they type of courses they were offering (computing courses) didnt suit her. However, she was told to go back to her LES office - Local Employment Services Office to find something. Last time I spoke with her though she wasn't on a course, but I would say you will have to do some type of course or work placement programme. Their should be a LES stand at the fair you're going to though, so maybe you could have a word with the person at the stand about other courses that aren't related to Computing. People were friendly there, you just hand in the letter with your PPS n name written on the back to show you have registered. If you dont yeah it could affect your claim so definitely go and register anyway. I can't see them forcing you to sign up but as I said they will likely refer you informally elsewhere. Hope this helps!

Also, from June 21st you can apply for a Part Time Springboard course at www.springboardcourses.ie If youre interested in taking up one of those courses, you could always inform the people of this - these are courses that relAte to I.T and Business etc and can be distance learning based, blended learning based, evening and daytime. You also get to keep your payment once you hand in the Part Time Education Option Form to your local sw office, which the provider of the course will send you once you have been accepted! Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cheers for all that information, it's a great insight! Ya I'll go along to show my face so that they don't cut me off but hopefully they won't pressure me into doing a course which doesn't suit me. There's courses I'm interested in doing which are starting in September so if I haven't got a job by then I'll try and do 1 of them courses, I just hope the DSP don't tell me that it's too far away and to do something now!!

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement