Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant install windows server 2008R2

Options
  • 20-04-2013 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

hi

i am studying IT and having problem installing server 2008R2 Its a genuine copy from dream spark, i am trying to install the standard version from an ISO image burnt to a DVD disc.

i have a new laptop
    windows 8
    1 Tb hard drive
    6 Gb Ram
    i5 3210 2.5Ghz
    64 bit

i have partitioned 50 Gb to run server from and the install starts goes through the process of loading , then it gets to a certain point and i get the following message

File: \$Windows ~ BT\Windows\system32\winload\efi

Status 0xc0000428

Info: The digital signature for this file couldn't be verified

The screen also gives a startup option of either windows setup or windows 8 but when i try the windows setup i just come back to the message. It also refers to something about disabling signature verification in advanced bootup options but i cant seem to find that in the bios.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks dom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

You could use the hyper-v feature in Windows 8 to create your 2008R2 machine as a virtual machine. Sounds like you are trying to dual boot at the moment? You just need to add hyper-v as a feature in windows 8. Create a new vm, point it as your iso file and install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

It could be a bad burn. try burning the ISO at the slowest available speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Turn off UEFI mode in your BIOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dom17

mbroaders wrote: »
    You could use the hyper-v feature in Windows 8 to create your 2008R2 machine as a virtual machine. Sounds like you are trying to dual boot at the moment? You just need to add hyper-v as a feature in windows 8. Create a new vm, point it as your iso file and install.

Yes i am trying to have the dual boot option, i have virtual box installed and i find things just run slower. I think i will just get a used desktop and set it up on that. Its mainly gonna be a machine to practice on.
    Thanks anyway.

Hi baconzombie
    i can only find a EUFI in the boot options that refers to the legacy boot and when i click on it a warning bos comes up saying that if i choose this option the OS might not boot. Didnt want to risk it, a guy in my class said its ok to do but i wasnt sure so i didnt
    Thanks for the suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

dom17 wrote: »
    Yes i am trying to have the dual boot option, i have virtual box installed and i find things just run slower. I think i will just get a used desktop and set it up on that. Its mainly gonna be a machine to practice on.
    Thanks anyway.

Hi baconzombie
    i can only find a EUFI in the boot options that refers to the legacy boot and when i click on it a warning bos comes up saying that if i choose this option the OS might not boot. Didnt want to risk it, a guy in my class said its ok to do but i wasnt sure so i didnt
    Thanks for the suggestion

And if it doesn't boot then you go back and change the BIOS back to the settings that worked before.

If it works lesson learnt, if it doesn't boot lesson learnt, if you do nothing guess what do you learn ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

eirator wrote: »
    If it works lesson learnt, if it doesn't boot lesson learnt, if you do nothing guess what do you learn ;)

Part of the fun in learning IT is breaking it and then fixing it... or breaking it and learning not to ever do that again :P Given it's a test system, try it out and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Part of the fun in learning IT is breaking it and then fixing it... or breaking it and learning not to ever do that again :P Given it's a test system, try it out and see how you get on.
    exactly this. :)

You'll learn more by fixing the things you break yourself than by anything else. :D

You need to disable secure boot in the UEFI setup options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'd say download the iso file again, Server2012 has been release for 180 day activation also, so you might be best to use that.

Advertisement