Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers

Options
  • 20-04-2013 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I can see a debate about to start here :P I was told before that the teacher didn't matter that you need to do your own work but i can honestly tell you that they have really made a difference for me ,i have always been motivated myself and i know the hard work is up to me but i had a brutal english teacher for years ,i did terrible in english, i finally got a new teacher and the improvement in my work was incredible, i'm so happy with my english teacher now.
    Is there anything in particular about the irish teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Claire1456 wrote: »
    Anyone have any leaving cert teachers that are useless and wish to shpeel about here? I , for one, have a terrible Irish teacher. I mean, BRUTAL.

My Irish teacher is the exact same! Since midterm after the mocks all we have done is 'pair' work where just spend the class talking cause she expects us to keep doing an oral everyday.

We only have done one essay and that's because it was coming up on the mocks and we are a higher level class! I think Irish is a subject where you really need to be thought it as its quiet difficult to do on your own. We only have fiuntas and she never gives us out notes or anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

My biology teacher. She spends the entire class talking about her problems or attempting to diagnose medical conditions (she has a biology degree so of course, she is a qualified doctor :rolleyes:) or trying to make stupid, pointless jokes. I used to LOVE biology, then she came along and ruined it all. We still have 20+ chapters to do and I graduate in a month! And I was counting on biology for an A1, Basically anything I've learnt since 5th year has been taught to myself by myself! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I could easily criticise all of my teachers, but maybe their style of teaching doesn't correspond to my style of perception? Maybe I'm not putting in the work required? I'm pretty sure though that a maths teacher shouldn't be making mistakes all the time, and a language teacher shouldn't be telling you to just "learn it off by heart, you don't need to understand it".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,168 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's what you wanted to hear about in this thread, that's what you got.

The point of this thread is what, exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

My Physics teacher is absolutely deplorable! We've only done about 5-10 experiments, all of them done by himself, out of 25+ experiments. We've do everything by the book and have been given no notes by him whatsoever. He's always a few minutes late for a class and during 5th year he regularly left the class for 5-10 minutes, often to get himself a scone (which he sends one of us to do now).

I've put loads of my own work into Physics as a result and I'm hoping I might be able to claw a high B or and A. At Leeson St. over the Christmas break I learned absolutely tonnes in comparison and the notes I've got have done me far more good in the subject than the teacher ever has done for me.

Sure at least I only I have a few weeks of this left :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

If you don't believe in or approve of this thread, I recommend you don't post in it.

You've a bit to learn about mods :D

Anyway, we had a HL Irish teacher who when questioned about the lack of Irish oral work we were doing said "Ye're well able to talk shíte here in the classroom, I'm sure it'll come to ye naturally."

He was quite the bollox.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Excuse me. The point of this thread is for people to share their experiences of bad teachers and now it has effected their education and results. If you don't believe in or approve of this thread, I recommend you don't post in it.

Probably not the best idea to say that to a CMod...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Excuse me. The point of this thread is for people to share their experiences of bad teachers and now it has effected their education and results. If you don't believe in or approve of this thread, I recommend you don't post in it.

Well that's an interesting tone to be using while talking to the category moderator.

And, spurious is right.
    This thread could easily go out of hand too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    And, spurious is right.
    This thread could easily go out of hand too.

It could, but it will be left open as long as there are no names or specific descriptions of teachers given that would make them easy to identify.

• Advertisement

Higher level Maths teacher who is constantly showing up 10-15 minutes late to class. It got so bad we took bets on when he'd show up.
    Spends so long on easy examples that are JC stuff and corrects every homework question even when everyone got them all right.

Advertisement