Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby League Challenge Cup. Live on BBC

Options
  • 20-04-2013 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

Today's game is the 4th round tie between Hull KR and St. Helens. BBC don't do a bad job of the sports coverage. Better than most things on the telly at this time of day!

Fancy Saints to win by a few but really just looking forward to seeing RL on a decent screen rather than dodgy stream.

Edit: Hull KR all over Saints so far, one way traffic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Jebus, Meli nearly took Halls head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Love the BBC coverage of RL...particularly like Hunter-Paul's pre match build-up in front of the teams warming up. Very good indeed. Shaping up to be a good clash. Nice to see a dry-track. KR shaping up well against the form books....nice second try as i speak. Dobson going well, but you'd fear for KR if he ships an injury...

Think that red card has probably finished it as a contest.

Think that red card has probably finished it as a contest.

I'm 20 mins behind on live pause...just saw the Meli tackle, Christ! Straight red, no question..but as you say a shame as was shaping up to be quite a scrap. On a positive note, so refreshing to listen to jiffy et al commentate on a game as opposed to the hysterical nonsense spouted by "Eddie and Stevo" surely the two worst commentators on TV for any professional sport.

Back in real time, nice opportunist Saints try, if any team can fashion a win with 12 men it must be saints....

• Advertisement

Great game in the end. Fair play to Saints for putting it up to KR. You'd have to say on balance that Meli cost them the game. Hohaia and Soliola were superb and I predict a big future for Alex Walmsley.

Yep. Thoroughly enjoyable game and Saints played well considering they were down to 12 for so long. Shame the BBC don't try and spend a few bob and get the rights to Championship games, I bet they would be dirt cheap and would nicely fill their Saturday schedule (think I have probably banged on about this before, but still!)

Broncos got a fright yesterday, Featherstone Rovers reportedly battered them in the first half, and were up at half time, think the SL conditioning/fitness was probably the only difference. Think the draw is Monday for next round, but might be wrong.

So true re: the Beeb, I sense though, that they see RL as a predominantly regional, northern-based sport and in fairness, of late I think they have a point. The RL's recent disastrous attempts to spread the game outside the m62 corridor haven't done much for the game's profile. The Welsh debacle was a thundering disgrace and in exposed the utter ineptitude of the people who run the sport. And that's before you even get into the laughable Stobart sponsorship of the SL last year. At least the beeb have got the rights for the RL WC though, might help the game. But at the moment the game has virtually no national media profile. Its the great paradox of league. A superb product on-field but badly served by those who run the game off the pitch

As for this weekend, the Broncos just aren't physical enough to prosper in my book. They really lack grunt in the pack and I'm not remotely surprised that Fev gave 'em a fright. I've see n them play in the C'ship this year and they're virtually SL standard. They would certainly frighten the bottom half of the SL and have brilliant support.

If they can show the university boat race, which has no interest to virtually anyone, they shouldn't worry about a bit of regional interest!

If that was an issue, they could have regional BBC showing the games. BBCNI have live rugby and football, BBC Scotland have live football, BBC Wales show rugby, nothing to stop the regions in England doing the same, and with the delights of satellite TV offering all the regions, it would be win win!

If they can show the university boat race, which has no interest to virtually anyone, they shouldn't worry about a bit of regional interest!

If that was an issue, they could have regional BBC showing the games. BBCNI have live rugby and football, BBC Scotland have live football, BBC Wales show rugby, nothing to stop the regions in England doing the same, and with the delights of satellite TV offering all the regions, it would be win win!

Re:the boat race, its a SE England thing. Most of the bleedin' BBC went to feckin oxbridge so it matters to them! You're 100% correct re: the regional thing though, never thought of it that way...By the way I get premier sports over here so I can watch the GAA and NRL, they show a few C'ship games every week too. Decent value if you're into league. Virtually all the NRL weekly games, internationals, origin etc...Not HD though...

• Advertisement

Live game today on BBC one is Huddersfield at home to Leeds. Looking forward to this one.

Fantastic win for the Broncos against Bradford.

Cracking game of RL today, looking forward to next round and also the BBC coverage of the World Cup, hopefully it wont be a damp squib.

Cracking game of RL today, looking forward to next round and also the BBC coverage of the World Cup, hopefully it wont be a damp squib.

Really good game, fair play to the Giants. Brough was huge today. Leeds looked poor, off the pace. As regards the WC, I have my doubts. Might pop over to Thomond for the Australian gme, though we will be absolutely hockeyed so not sure what attraction that might have for potential converts...

Terrific game so far today, lot of errors but great stuff, much needed, after yesterday's embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

I picked a good time to start watching this match!

Great finish, Hull just about hung on.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Looking forward to the final here on Saturday.....

Advertisement