Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seeking Advice from PhD's - Postdocs!

Options
  • 20-04-2013 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

[Mods,I already posted this thread to another forum (Link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056930438) but now realise it might have been a better fit here. please feel free to delete the original post - Cheers LF]

Hi All

Just a quick question with regards to postdoc positions.

Say that you completed your PhD using specific techniques, skills and equipment, can you then apply for a postdoc that is within the same domain but utilizes different equipment/skills?

I.e. You did a sociology PhD on culture but wish to do a postdoc on the educational system.
    Or you did a clinical/medical PhD that never used a MRI - but you wish to apply for a postdoc that does?

Hopefully someone can enligten me on this
    Thanks
    LF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Hi LF,

The substantive area of my postdoc was a world apart from my PhD; I was hired for the methods I applied which were the same in both. The data were about two centuries apart, but I had used time series and clustering methods before, so it was an easy enough transition. I really enjoyed the break of getting into a completely different area after spending so long on my thesis. Also, projects are so varied and specific, it is quite unusual to get a perfect match between your existing work - although specific experience would doubtless give you an edge.

There are plenty of people in my current workplace who have made bigger leaps than myself in terms of focus, so I wouldn't rule anything out. I think an awful lot comes down to interviews also - how well you might fit with the the PI or project team in terms of your approach to your work - as well as publication records, extra training and work experience.

Advertisement