Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Seeking Advice from PhD's - Postdocs!

• 20-04-2013 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ Lunafizzle

[Mods,I already posted this thread to another forum (Link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056930438) but now realise it might have been a better fit here. please feel free to delete the original post - Cheers LF]

Hi All

Just a quick question with regards to postdoc positions.

Say that you completed your PhD using specific techniques, skills and equipment, can you then apply for a postdoc that is within the same domain but utilizes different equipment/skills?

I.e. You did a sociology PhD on culture but wish to do a postdoc on the educational system.
    Or you did a clinical/medical PhD that never used a MRI - but you wish to apply for a postdoc that does?

Hopefully someone can enligten me on this
    Thanks
    LF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭ Ostrom

Hi LF,

The substantive area of my postdoc was a world apart from my PhD; I was hired for the methods I applied which were the same in both. The data were about two centuries apart, but I had used time series and clustering methods before, so it was an easy enough transition. I really enjoyed the break of getting into a completely different area after spending so long on my thesis. Also, projects are so varied and specific, it is quite unusual to get a perfect match between your existing work - although specific experience would doubtless give you an edge.

There are plenty of people in my current workplace who have made bigger leaps than myself in terms of focus, so I wouldn't rule anything out. I think an awful lot comes down to interviews also - how well you might fit with the the PI or project team in terms of your approach to your work - as well as publication records, extra training and work experience.

Advertisement