Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nathan For You [US]

Options
  • 20-04-2013 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

I wasn't expecting much when I started watching this Comedy Central show a couple of months ago but I think that it's the funniest show around at the moment and the best new comedy of the last two or three years.

It's a faux-reality/documentary where Nathan Fielder tries to help struggling small businesses and comes up with absurd ideas. It's hilarious, surreal, clever and sometimes surprisingly poignant.

The first season just finished. Hopefully it gets renewed.

Any other fans?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Yes, great show! His deadpan absurdist style produced some truly laugh-out-loud moments. I don't think there was any poor episode, probably helped by the fact that there was only 10.

It's hard to figure out just how real the businesses and the people used in the show were because there were some ridiculously unbelievable moments with some of the people Nathan talked to (The gas station owner in episode 4 being a prime example!). I would be suspicious of the authenticity of the some encounters and interviews in the show. It either shows the bizarre nature or "everyday people" when put in front of a camera or else the show is really enforcing the "stupid American" stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Yeah, it's sometimes tough to see where the scripting ends and the realness begins but I'm certainly happy to accept all the people as genuine. Some of the stories go in strange directions which seem completely unplanned. I think Nathan's style is a big part of it - I've just realised you could compare it to how Louis Theroux interacts with his documentary subjects.

As you say, there was no poor episode. Each sketch was either very good or tears-rolling-down-your-face hilarious. The gas station rebate was the highlight for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I watched the first one, and the job interview segments (especially the middle one) were very very funny. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I just watched the "Claw Of Shame" episode. Have to say, it was unreal! Enjoyed all the episodes I've seen so far, but that was one of the most original skits I've seen. And his delivery throughout the episode is brilliant

Really enjoyed the rebate episode as well, and of course the viral video for the petting zoo.
    Very talented man!

Season 2 ahoy! Back with another great episode.

• Advertisement

This show is genius! The second season is somehow even better than the first. Watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just got into it a few weeks ago. Absolutely genius. Broke my hole laughing at the ones with the Private Detective, the Gas station and the focus group especially.

How he doesn't break character is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

My favourite show that's on at the moment. I love it. My favourite person so far in the show is the Bill Gates impersonator. The LA souvenir shop I think is my favourite episode so far. Once it gets to the film festival with basically the most elaborate fart joke ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭The Pooka

I've been looking for people to talk about this show with! Finest cringe comedy since the original UK Office :D It's been on a real roll this season too - the Dumb Starbucks episode was perfect, and the most recent one with the dating service/party planning/weight loss scheme was just 3 knockout segments in a row... Anyone on the fence, I'd encourage you to watch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭The Pooka

"Daddy, Daddy,
    Come over now,
    Save my life,
    You made a vow..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

Yeah, this is the funniest show around at the moment. My favourite ep this series was the one with the ghost realtor.

There's also a playlist on YouTube from his Nathan on your Side segments from his old appearances on Canadian show This Hour Has 22 Minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2A33FE2E88945B39

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Penn wrote: »
    Just got into it a few weeks ago. Absolutely genius. Broke my hole laughing at the ones with the Private Detective, the Gas station and the focus group especially.

How he doesn't break character is beyond me.

I think the closest he came to breaking was the gas station.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

I only heard about this show recently, but it's already probably my favorite sketch comedy ever. There are other shows that I enjoy for other reasons, but I don't think any make me laugh as hard or as frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Watched the whole first season without realising that most the people weren't in on it, was hilarious but seemed way too absurd for people to be actually buying it. Absolutely loving the second series, he's great.

This video on his youtube page is one of my favourite things of the last while too

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

This video on his youtube page is one of my favourite things of the last while too

Should have been filmed in portrait mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Slightly scared about how much I am looking forward to season 3, coming in mid October.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭al87987

People of Boards, rejoice for Nathan is back with season 4.

I just watched the first episode of season 4 and I was crying laughing again. No other tv show can do what he does so consistently.

I am looking forward to the return of Curb tonight and the last episode of Rick and Morty too but this show really is on a different level to anything else in terms of comedy these days.

Tell me we have some fans here...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Season 4 is excellent. Probably the best unknown show out there. More people should watch this, if you are reading this....watch it! Loved the Jimmy Kimmel interview episode

2 hour finale on Thursday. Must be a big stunt

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

A couple of people have mentioned this show to me over the years, but never got around to it until last week. About halfway through Season 2 at the moment - it's such a clever show. Nathan Fielder is a genius.

Advertisement