Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shell investigates accidental severing of gas pipe at Corrib terminal

Options
  • 20-04-2013 12:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

Shell E&P Ireland has said it is conducting an internal investigation, following the inadvertent cutting of a gas pipe at the Corrib gas terminal earlier this month.

The incident resulted in nitrogen being released into the atmosphere.
    As a precaution, all nitrogen was “vented off”, according to the company.

The Ballinaboy terminal built to refine gas from the Corrib gas field is not yet active, as work is still continuing on the last section of the project – the onshore pipeline, low pressure nitrogen has been pumped through pipes laid at the terminal to prevent corrosion.

The company has been criticised by the campaign group Shell to Sea for failing to make the incident public after it occurred on April 8th.

The multinational told the radio station the incident posed “no danger to the environment”, and said it was investigating the circumstances.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) told The Irish Times it had not been informed, but that there was no obligation on the company to do so as “licensable activities” had not actually started.

Mr Condon said Shell did provide the local authority with information on the incident, but could not state when this occurred..
    Shell to Sea spokeswoman Maura Harrington said “Shell, despite all their talk of being ‘good neighbours’, said nothing to anyone” until the radio station was alerted.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/shell-investigates-accidental-severing-of-gas-pipe-at-corrib-terminal-1.1366302

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ohhh, a nitrogen leak. This is up there with the Bhopal disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The incident resulted in nitrogen being released into the atmosphere.
    As a precaution, all nitrogen was “vented off”, according to the company.

You do know the atmosphere is 79% Nitrogen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Jeez............before we know it they'll be releasing oxygen next and not telling us.

Apocalypse Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

bonzodog2 wrote: »

i dont think thats the point we should be worried about....what we should be worried about is that the pipe is obviously not safe and what will happen when gas is passed through it and the pipe fails again?

i dont think thats the point we should be worried about....what we should be worried about is that the pipe is obviously not safe and what will happen when gas is passed through it and the pipe fails again?

Did you read the article?

It didn't fail. Some spanner cut it

• Advertisement

Paulzx wrote: »

maybe their spanners should be better trained then if they are going to be working with gas ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Cienciano wrote: »
    A post industrial wasteland of luscious greener-than-usual-grass?

Also, in before that video where the Norwegian people are vox popped with a fact-free diatribe about oil and gas in Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

maybe their spanners should be better trained then if they are going to be working with gas ?

Do we really need to make a hype over a mistake made by an employee? Not a dangerous one I should stress

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Do we really need to make a hype over a mistake made by an employee? Not a dangerous one I should stress

it was a mistake which could of been devistating to human life and nature if gas had been flowing

it was a mistake which could of been devistating to human life and nature if gas had been flowing

Somehow i don't think they'll be cutting pipes when the oul gas is flowing through them

.................Unless someones going for a Darwin award

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

They are not working with gas!
    Mountains out of molehills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

A mistake that couldn't happen where our gas thankfully comes ashore desite the best efforts of a handful of economic sabotuers and luddites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

The incident, which occurred during work on water pipes at the terminal site in north Mayo, resulted in nitrogen being released into the atmosphere.

I'll just cut this pipe here. It's probably only water, be grand. Fast forward two years and this ejit and the ejit who let him near the place are dead.

yes they were working on water pipes and cut the worng pipe....what sort of donkeys have they got working for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fred Cohen

A mistake that couldn't happen where our gas thankfully comes ashore desite the best efforts of a handful of economic sabotuers and luddites.

Not our gas though, is it?

This thread is so stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Ridiculous thread with ridiculous agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

yes they were working on water pipes and cut the worng pipe....what sort of donkeys have they got working for them?

Leave our politicans out of it..:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

They are not working with gas! ...
    The last time I checked, nitrogen, at normal temperature and pressure, was a gas. Maybe they should paint the gas pipes flourescent orange and only hire plumbers / fitters that are not colour-blind or stupid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

mathepac wrote: »
    The last time I checked, nitrogen, at normal temperature and pressure, was a gas. Maybe they should paint the gas pipes flourescent orange and only hire plumbers / fitters that are not colour-blind or stupid.

So is oxygen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I was working in a bar years ago, and there was a regular who had a half pint of Guinness. He had a half pint because he claimed the nitrogen injected into the pint as part of the two step pour of a pint gave him headaches. He didn't know what to say when I told him ~78% of the atmosphere is nitrogen.

• Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭Fr_Fitzexactly

If I was living near the gas pipe I'd drill a hole in it with a hammer drill from Lidl or aldi and a masonry drill bit and shove in a plastic tube, seal around the hole with silicone

Keep the SuperSer, Gas boiler, Awh-Gaw (I'm posh) and a modified honda generator going so I can give ESB/Electric Ireland and Airtricity the road as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    So is oxygen
    Shell have an oxygen pipeline as well as a nitrogen one? Well holy god don't that bate Bannagher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

If I was living near the gas pipe I'd drill a hole in it with a hammer drill from Lidl or aldi and a masonry drill bit and shove in a plastic tube, seal around the hole with silicone

Keep the SuperSer, Gas boiler, Awh-Gaw (I'm posh) and a modified honda generator going so I can give ESB/Electric Ireland and Airtricity the road as well.
    You should do a test run with drilling into your garden hose. Report back if the silicone holds. You do realise that gas pipes are operating at quite high pressures, right? It might take a bit more than silicone..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

You should do a test run with drilling into your garden hose. Report back if the silicone holds. You do realise that gas pipes are operating at quite high pressures, right? It might take a bit more than silicone..

Duct tape -

• Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭Fr_Fitzexactly

Garden hose isn't ideal because its so flexible. I might strap a brass fitting onto the pipe with a few steel bands. Seal it up nicely with a bit of mastic or silicone and drill the hole in after. It would be worth investing a few pound in this because you could spend the rest of your days with no uTility bills. It would be awkward signing up for a bank account or a mobile phone contract though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

bonzodog2 wrote: »

Yes as it's in the article already, so fair play for failing to read it.

However, as there is normally over 78 per cent nitrogen in the atmosphere, it was not a cause for concern, he said.

The main issue here is that the company failed to make the incident public after it occurred on April 8th. It came to light when a resident alerted Midwest Radio.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) told The Irish Times it had not been informed, but that there was no obligation on the company to do so as licensable activities” had not actually started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭RayCon

A spanner that can cut ? ... gots to get me one of those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

I accidentally released a noxious gas today. Fcuking cleared the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Cienciano wrote: »

Give it time.

Advertisement