Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 Hard Drive[€108.40 delivered]

Options
  • 20-04-2013 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭

From Amazon.

link here

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's an even bigger bargain if you can get it delivered to someone you know who lives in Northern Ireland because they're only £86.99, which according to www.xe.com converts into €101.52 with free delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Yep, can use Parcel motel or one of those as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ruu- I'm going to be bankrupt if you don't stop posting alerts like these!

The 2Tb is arguably even better value @ £68 here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Thank OP. I just bought a WD Red 3TB for £115 2 weeks ago. I needed one more 3TB drive and £86 was much more palatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

smccarrick wrote: »
    Ruu- I'm going to be bankrupt if you don't stop posting alerts like these!

The 2Tb is arguably even better value @ £68 here

Curious as to why you should say that. I'm looking for a large capacity drive, 2TB would do but the 3TB looks better value i.e. 2TB is c. 66% of the volume for c. 80% of the cost.
    One of them seems to be SATA 3 while the other is not, which wouldn't matter to me anyway. Is the 2TB a better drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Are these suitable for a NAS?

Obviously the WD Red is designed for NAS, but is there any reason not to use something like this?

As newkie said above, the WD Red is a good bit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

kazzer wrote: »

Obviously the WD Red is designed for NAS, but is there any reason not to use something like this?

Have one of these 3TB seagates in a Nas. Running no problems, but i previously had a 3TB WD Green series in the Nas and it failed within a month.

The seagate would be fine (i think i paid €114 delivered from scan uk about 6 months ago) but always have a non raid backup on another 3TB drive that you do a full backup of the drive at least once a month... (i learned the hard way :mad:).

Its a great price for a 3TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

kazzer wrote: »

I've bought the Seagate for my NAS.

From what I understand the WD Reds are slightly tweaked for 24hr a day use resulting in a 30% increase in life. But then again, the point of a RAID is redundancy allowing you to replace a drive without affecting data. So this will be an interesting experiment: 2 new 3TB drives - will the Seagate fail before the WD Red? Will report back in 3-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Shield wrote: »
    It's an even bigger bargain if you can get it delivered to someone you know who lives in Northern Ireland because they're only £86.99, which according to www.xe.com converts into €101.52 with free delivery.

i ordered this last week and just get it delivered to your normal address and pay in STG?

TheDriver wrote: »
    i ordered this last week and just get it delivered to your normal address and pay in STG?
    You will still have to pay Irish VAT plus whatever commission your bank charges for Sterling transactions so you still won't be getting it for STG 86.99.

• Advertisement

true but the trouble of getting it delivered to a relative would be more expensive than most for an extra 2-3 euro?

true but the trouble of getting it delivered to a relative would be more expensive than most for an extra 2-3 euro?

More like 5-6 but I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Just be aware that the warranty is only 1 year on these!

For reference, WD blue and green drives are 2 years and WD Red have 3 years warranty.

1 year is too low, in my opinion, especially given that they were 3 years a while back and 5 years before that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Monotype wrote: »

For reference, WD blue and green drives are 2 years and WD Red have 3 years warranty.

1 year is too low, in my opinion, especially given that they were 3 years a while back and 5 years before that!

I bought two during the week assuming the warranty was one year but when I entered the serials on Seagate's site it said both had two year warranties.

That's interesting. I must see if I can find a list of the drives that have 2 years. I trawled their website a few months ago and all the evidence pointed to the bulk of their drives having only 1 year (hybrid drives etc. excepted). They keep the warranty information so well hidden that it's near impossible to find without the serials on the drives.

Edit: As far as I can make out, their current generation has 2 years for the 1TB, 2TB, 3TB and 4TB drives. Smaller capacities and older drives still sold are just the single year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sephiroth_vg

It says it cannot be delievered to my selected destination : ( in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I put in a demand on flubit. Lets see what they come back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

WD Green Red & Blue purchased as retail drives have three year warranty. Green & Red sold as components (ie. "Non-Kitted Hard Drive sold to Authorized WD Distributors" ) have two years. You're entitled to a like for like (ie. refurbished if old) replacement if it qualifies.

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp

Best run a serial number check and register the drive as part of the RMA process - pack for return as directed.

One to look out for - I tried to register a new WD 3TB Green bought through Komplett last week but the WD site kicks back on the SN:
    "no limited warranty ... Product was originally sold to a system manufacturer. Please contact the system manufacturer or the place of purchase for warranty service."

got this 3Tb drive from amazon, its a heavy yoke I thought.....Fitted into an NAS and shows up as 2.7Tb

styron wrote: »
    WD Green Red & Blue purchased as retail drives have three year warranty. Green & Red sold as components (ie. "Non-Kitted Hard Drive sold to Authorized WD Distributors" ) have two years. You're entitled to a like for like (ie. refurbished if old) replacement if it qualifies.

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp
    "no limited warranty ... Product was originally sold to a system manufacturer. Please contact the system manufacturer or the place of purchase for warranty service."

The only thing is that you don't really see the retail drives anywhere online, but it's interesting to know that there's a longer warranty.
    Regarding the komplett issue: I haven't come across that before. Komplett must have got a discount for those. I hope that they offer you a warranty themselves for the correct time period.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about warranty beyond one year anyway.

Most electronics if faulty will die in the first month or two, if they survive beyond that they should work for years assuming kept in the right conditions.

Great if they give longer warranty for free, but I certainly wouldn't pay more for that.

Having said that when it comes to data, also remember to have backups. Ideally you should have three copies of your data on three separate drives, with one of them being in a different location (external hdd kepts at friends/family house or online cloud backup services).

BTW in Ireland, we have very strong consumer laws which state that a product most last what people expect the average lifetime of such products to be. What this means is that even if they only give 1 year warranty and it breaks after 13 months, they still have to replace it because most people would expect a HDD to last a few years. Now their support might argue against this and claim just 1 year warranty, but if you persist and threaten them with small claims court, they will usually relent.

In fact I know one case of a Sony TV that broke after 5 years, went to small claims court and the person won and got a replacement TV.

Companies only give one or two year warranties, hopping that most people aren't aware of their rights under consumer law.

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

bk wrote: »

In fact I know one case of a Sony TV that broke after 5 years, went to small claims court and the person won and got a replacement TV.

Companies only give one or two year warranties, hopping that most people aren't aware of their rights under consumer law.
    Small claims after a repair failed?

Or was tv stupid money?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Small claims after a repair failed?

Or was tv stupid money?

presumably after 5 years both sony and retailer had washed their hands of any obligation.

The only thing is that you don't really see the retail drives anywhere online, but it's interesting to know that there's a longer warranty.

By 'retail' WD don't just mean those flashy boxed drives exotic folk buy in the likes of Maplins or Currys. The 2TB I posted back to them last week - bought through Elara two and a half years ago - came in the standard plain brown cardboard box. The SN warranty checker governs the three year since manufacture warranty - you need to print off and attach the authorised bar code address label before WD will entertain any RMA directly.

It makes sense to habitually print off or keep on line any invoices (with SN attached) to cover the full three year period after purchase - I assume it's more convenient to go through the retailer first where purchased within three years of failing but showing expired on the SN checker.
    Regarding the komplett issue: I haven't come across that before. Komplett must have got a discount for those. I hope that they offer you a warranty themselves for the correct time period.

Discounts may be part of it - but I suspect it's more to avoid undermining Komplett's policy of denying warranty to commerial as distinct from consumers/personal users:
    "9.3.4 - Business customers are not automatically entitled to warranty and any warranty must be agreed by us in writing as part of a Confirmed Order."

http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/site/service_and_help/terms_and_conditions/cms.aspx#

On the face of it a 3TB WD Green (consumer) owner should have three years warranty - but given the WD "Computer Says NO" ... what does this mean?

"All hardware and software in our catalog is covered by the manufacturer's warranties. This means you are entitled to the warranty that the manufacturer has determined for that product. The warranty is specific to each individual product. The warranty time is available either from the manufacturer's website or on the product page at Komplett. In the grey bar directly below the product image you will find exactly how many months warranty are offered for that product."

http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/site/service_and_help/support_and_returns/cms.aspx#Coolingoff

But Komplett appear to have stripped warranty info from specs for most if not all items, presumably to segregate and avoid "mixed messaging" commerial/business users.

I'm assuming three years and have emailed Komplett to make sure and will update if this is not officially the case - but either way I'm holding on to the invoice for sure!

Edit - Komplett's position: "We deliver 3 years of warranty when WD doesn’t accept it. So regarding this case, yes we will honor this request"

got this 3Tb drive from amazon, its a heavy yoke I thought.....Fitted into an NAS and shows up as 2.7Tb

That's about right - most of the discrepancy is due to the different units of measurement HD manufacturers and Operating Systems have for the same hard drive capacity. Manufacturer's use metric/decimal - 1000MB = 1GB, 1TB = 1000GB. The OS measures the same space on a slightly different binary basis: 1GB = 1024MB, 1TB = 1024GB: as such a manufacturer's TB (1,000,000 MB) shows up in the OS as around 931GB - around 7% under reported. (Some relatively much small space can also be consumed in OS "overhead" - system files, directories,MFT, system restore etc.)

Off the network/NAS, in a traditional *windows* 32bit OS MBR partitioned system the 3TB drive can only utilise 2TB and shows up initially in most of my USB enclosures as 746GB!

Flubit came back with £52.05+£2.45 =£54.50. Add to that PM,say £2.50 TOTAL £57 APPROX against £59.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Flubit came back with £52.05+£2.45 =£54.50. Add to that PM,say £2.50 TOTAL £57 APPROX against £59.99

I assume you mean the 2tb drive not this 3tb one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I got this for £82.43 from flubit last month, and another from amazon for £86.99.

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Seagate-7200RPM-Cache-SATA3-Drive/product/B006KCX0UE

paddyp wrote: »
    I assume you mean the 2tb drive not this 3tb one?

I'd be interested to know that too. Cheapest Flubit cameback to me with was Stg 57.59 for the 2gb with free delivery to PM.

• Advertisement

bmaxi wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know that too. Cheapest Flubit cameback to me with was Stg 57.59 for the 2gb with free delivery to PM.

It was the 2 TB ..maybe they like me :D

I didn't order. Couldn't afford to order any more this month:mad:

Advertisement