Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint a model kit before/after gluing together?

Options
  • 19-04-2013 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    In your experience would it be easier to paint the parts separately before gluing and assembly ??

Its a general question I know,lets take a model tank airfix kit as an example.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Depending on the model normally aircraft i paint then assemble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

I mainly do planes .Glue then paint at anything other than beginner level .Main reason being that you will want to fill and smoothly sand away the 'joint lines' as most planes , tanks etc didnt actually have them there.Of course you will need to paint the interior (of a plane anyway) first .Tank specific advice (current build is armour)-if youre brush painting it may actually be hard to reach the insides of things like wheels after buildingI think youve really got to sit than and plan/think it out .Nearly all paints need to be thinned (average 15-20% thinner?)after a mega shake and stir of the tin / pot .Three thin layers (and a bit of patience) will beat one rushed thick layer hands down every time .If you have brush marks VERY fine wet and dry (they are named like P400, P100,P2000 etc with the bigger number being smoother and the smaller ones rougher.Paint smoothing for repainting is prob best done with no rougher than ,maybe,P600 and some may even 'sand' (more like polish) with ultra fine before varnishing etc .
    At the very least if you paint then glue you will need to 'touch up' where you cut parts from sprue.(An unecessary inconvenience)

Advertisement