Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry: Expectations

Options
  • 19-04-2013 6:00pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've agreed to help out a family member who is doing Chemistry (HL) this year. Only thing is that I'm a postgrad, so I'm out of touch with what is the trend for the questions to come up and the level of detail necessary for LC level.

I know the structure of the paper and that equilibrium comes up as does the history of the atom etc.

What is expected for LC level in terms of the calculations, - the v1 m1 n1 formula style or the first principles style. Can anyone help or point me in the direction that could help?

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

-Basic Hess' law calculation given heats of formation etc
    -Finding percentage of water of crystallisation in Sodium Carbonate and finding the value of X in the formula for water
    -Equilibrium calculations
    -Some basic stoichiometry calculations, limiting reagent type of thing
    -Equation of state for an ideal gas calculations
    -V1 M1 N1 for all of the titrations, usually finding the moles, then grams per litre, but most of the experiments have some specifics to them (Like the Iron Tablets expt)
    -Basic mass spectrometer calculations
    -Converting grams to moles to molecules to atoms and vice versa
    -Instantaneous Rate of Reaction calculation from a graph (slope formula)

... that's all I can think of at the moment, there may be more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

yeah along with Ph and indicator calculation that comes up frequantly

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

Titrations, Organic Experiments, Organic in the long quesions, pH, Inorganic/Physical Chem... stuff like ionization energy, trends in the periodic table. And question 4 which is a range of topics. They are nearly all 8 questions every year. The experiments are always a titration and one organic.

I got a BSc in Chemistry but going back to do LC chemistry is a challenge! Personally speaking chemistry is simple, even when I done it 10 years ago during my original LC. Once you know organic, the experiments and some theory you'll fly it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

All helpful replies :)
    yoppo wrote: »
    I got a BSc in Chemistry but going back to do LC chemistry is a challenge! Personally speaking chemistry is simple, even when I done it 10 years ago during my original LC. Once you know organic, the experiments and some theory you'll fly it!

It is a challenge alright. I did the exam back in 2003 as well. I get the feeling that there's a bit of exam panic. I supervise 1st year undergrad labs and lectures so have no trouble with the subject, but it's the confines of the LC exam/marking system that will be the challenge I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

• Advertisement
Advertisement