Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to learn testing

Options
  • 19-04-2013 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

dont know, if I m placing the thread in right place, mods move the thread if you feel to do so.

ya so basically I dont have IT background, but would like to enter IT sector. newbee to it, I consider doing testing first rather than developing. what would be the best approach to it according to you guys? manual or automated depending on job prospects? :) For manual I wont have to learn any language, correct? For automated where to start with? Any free tutorials or short course recommendations for the same may be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lover_of_life

Hi Simply simple,
    im currently a tester in the IT industry. from my experience its very hard to get into the testing sector without some sort of IT education. ie. a degree in computer science or a HDIP in IT for example. im doing manual testing at the minute and I have found that I have needed alot of the information I learned in my degree and masters to test proficiently. there will be times as a tester that you will need to understand java HTML CSS and SQL for starters. If your not going to go the education route I would definitely suggest that you learn some basics on the programming languages. a good site I have found is code academy. Good luck in the future and hope it all works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Hi Simply simple,
    . im doing manual testing at the minute and I have found that I have needed alot of the information I learned in my degree and masters to test proficiently. there will be times as a tester that you will need to understand java HTML CSS and SQL for starters.

Do you ? If your doing straight up manual testing (i.e compiling test cases from requirements,executing them and documenting results) how would say knowing java help? In my opinion having a good knowledge of the SDLC, the various methodologies (v model,agile... etc), the ISEB/ISTB foundation cert and knowledge of the domain being tested would be more beneficial then learning a particular language such as java because as a manual tester you won't really see a line of code.

@donegal11
    Im just giving Simply simple my personal opinion (that he has requested) on my experience with manual testing. Its no problem not knowing java sql etc if you want to just be writing and executing test cases for the rest of your life and not develop in your career. Not knowing how things work in the background you will just be doing end user testing. What will happen if you want to develop into automation testing with no background knowledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

thank you both for helpful inputs
    so what I get from this is I dont need to learn any language if I want to go for manual- end user testing, but for better prospects and career advancement this wont do.
    Is selenium easy to start with? can I learn it without any other testing, coding language knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

@donegal11
    Im just giving Simply simple my personal opinion (that he has requested) on my experience with manual testing. Its no problem not knowing java sql etc if you want to just be writing and executing test cases for the rest of your life and not develop in your career. Not knowing how things work in the background you will just be doing end user testing. What will happen if you want to develop into automation testing with no background knowledge?

Fair enough but it's important to know what's required when going looking for a job as tester. Someone reading this could spend a substantial amount of time learning java and go looking for a job as a manual tester for which java, html etc are largely irrelevant as you'll just be writing and executing test cases.

• Advertisement

to learn selenium, you need to have basic knowledge of loops, arrays, and exception handling to name a few which are all java based , if you want to use the java client driver of selenium.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

to learn selenium, you need to have basic knowledge of loops, arrays, and exception handling to name a few which are all java based , if you want to use the java client driver of selenium.

The driver is written in java, but you can use java, python, ruby, c#, perl, php, plus others to write your scripts. If you want to really use selenium you will need a good understanding of xpath and CSS selectors.

jester77 wrote: »
    The driver is written in java, but you can use java, python, ruby, c#, perl, php, plus others to write your scripts. If you want to really use selenium you will need a good understanding of xpath and CSS selectors.

So all in all simply simple maybe selenium isn't the best place to start. As donegal11 said earlier and I agree the foundation in istqb is a good place to start

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

Oh! okay. so I will try to learn the foundation stuff for ISTQB, may be online, some free tutorials and see how I go with it. As I saw the requirements, one dont have to attend any courses to give the exam for ISTQB. I am studying as well so joining another course would not be a good idea maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You could also try FAS to see if you could get onto a City and Guilds Software Testing course in your area. ISTQB is also worth taking as a lot of employers will look for that as a standard requirement when hiring.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

A lot of open source project suffer from lack of good testing and would welcome volunteers.

Testers often need to be able to set up dev & build environments, so a base level of system admin would be very useful.

Trojan wrote: »
    A lot of open source project suffer from lack of good testing and would welcome volunteers.

Testers often need to be able to set up dev & build environments, so a base level of system admin would be very useful.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I have a very similar question. I am currently starting second year in a part-time IT degree through Oscail/DCU.

I have some self taught experience in Java, Android, and selenium webdriver as well as some experience in web development and php from college. I know my way around eclipse and netbeans, as well as windows and Linux. I plan on doing the ISTQB foundation exam in the next few weeks and the java certified associate soon after.

Basically my question is would this be enough to get my foot in the door as a junior tester or would I have to wait until I get my degree?

Advertisement