Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird call, is it a scam?

Options
  • 19-04-2013 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

Phone rang with a 01 Dublin number (so it seemed)...voice said "good morning can I speak to..." and cut off....

I could not disconnect the call and 4 minutes later I switched off the phone , which cleared it.

Number/ call did not show on my received calls.

(No charges shown on my Vodafone account )

Is it that they hope I will ring back on some sort of Premium Rate or what?

Can't recall the number, although I did try googling it (hence the 4 minutes it took to switch off the phone :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If you phone an 01 XXXXXXX number you are charged the normal rate for a Dublin number. So if you call that back your charged for a Dublin number regardless.

Be careful though. If you phone 001... You are calling the US and are charged accordingly.

15XX are premium rate numbers, as are the directory enquiry services (118XX).

The fact that the call didn't disconnect should be the same if you call from a mobile to that landline and you will find that if you try to hangup from the landline it won't disconnect, the mobile will only disconnect. Its an issue with the phone you have.

That call I wouldn't be suspecious about, it sounds as is the line got cut. These things happen sometimes for a number of reasons.

Advertisement