Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (£144.18 on Amazon.co.uk)(Also €17 Cashback from Samsung)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,683 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Says £185 on the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭wallaby72

Looks like the Amazon stock is gone, sorry. Now only available from GKS Tech fulfilled by Amazon.
    It was at that price earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I was literally looking at this yesterday. Even at £185 it's still a better price than Dabs.ie. However, it would have been nice to get a bargain.

Damn you have to be fast to get ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Damn would have picked this up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I got the non-pro version of the 840 that was in a BA thread a while back and it's been excellent so far, can't fault it. would definitely be worth keeping an eye out for the price to drop again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

vibe666 wrote: »
    I got the non-pro version of the 840 that was in a BA thread a while back and it's been excellent so far, can't fault it. would definitely be worth keeping an eye out for the price to drop again. :)

I paid €40 for 60GB OCZ half year ago and I wonder if we get this prices back any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

Ive been the lookout for one at a nice price. I replaced laptop drive with one last year. They speed it up so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭varuka

I got the 500gb 849 non pro from amazon for 300 euro...great ssd/super fast compared to a hdd....but be aware that installation is not as simple as 1-2-3 as they say on their website and Samsung Customer Service is not helpful at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

PCWorld in Galway had the 120 Gb non-pro Samsung 840 for €99.99 at the weekend. Not a bad price for brick and mortar store

varuka wrote: »
    I got the 500gb 849 non pro from amazon for 300 euro...great ssd/super fast compared to a hdd....but be aware that installation is not as simple as 1-2-3 as they say on their website and Samsung Customer Service is not helpful at all.
    what isn't simple? you just plug it in and install your OS of choice. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

what isn't simple? you just plug it in and install your OS of choice. :confused:

Depends on the motherboard you may have to change bios settings in some,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

cgc5483 wrote: »
    PCWorld in Galway had the 120 Gb non-pro Samsung 840 for €99.99 at the weekend. Not a bad price for brick and mortar store

Would this be suitable to put into a Macbook Pro 13 from last year? Anyone know?

It's not easy to migrate/clone your hdd to the ssd.

and

Yes bios settings have to be changed in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

People should also note that to benefit the pro version over the stock 840 that your SATA adapter needs to support 6gb. My laptop is two years old and only goes to 3gb/sec so the more expensive pro is off no use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

It's as easy as migrating from HDD to HDD.

What settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

This one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSSDP-256G-G25-256GB-Pulse-Internal/dp/B0093HMLJ4 is £115.97

Its a SanDisk SDSSDP-256G-G25 256GB Pulse SATA 6GB/s 2.5 Inch Internal SSD

The hard-drive went in my laptop yesterday, so I've very tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

and

TBi wrote: »
    What settings?

If you are installing a fresh OS then there should be no issues, its just like installing onto any other drive.
    If you want to migrate you existing OS (if its on a HDD) then there are a few hoops to jump through, namely defragging/aligning the sectors etc on your old HDD before attempting to clone the HDD to the new SSD. If you are on windows you will probably need some 3rd party programs for this.
    Also very possible you may need to shrink the partition size too. There are a million tutorials you will find within 5 seconds of googling for all of this so its not a big deal.

You also might need to enable AHCI in the BIOS.

There are a few other OS level settings that should be changed for SSDs over HDDs too, some people might argue them, but things like disable indexing, scheduled defragging, etc.

Overall though, it is definitely worth it. I have the 512gig 840pro version and its worth every penny.

• Advertisement

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    If you want to migrate you existing OS (if its on a HDD) then there are a few hoops to jump through, namely defragging/aligning the sectors etc on your old HDD before attempting to clone the HDD to the new SSD. If you are on windows you will probably need some 3rd party programs for this.

You don't 'NEED' to do this, it's only recommended. The HDD will work just as well without this, albeit possibly a little slower.
    Also very possible you may need to shrink the partition size too. There are a million tutorials you will find within 5 seconds of googling for all of this so its not a big deal.
    Normal when moving from a bigger HDD to smaller HDD, not specific to SDD
    You also might need to enable AHCI in the BIOS.

If AHCI is disabled before you copy the OS then it won't boot when it is enabled, you'll have to do a full reinstall. (Although you can get it to boot if you are very techy minded and know what you are doing.)
    There are a few other OS level settings that should be changed for SSDs over HDDs too, some people might argue them, but things like disable indexing, scheduled defragging, etc.

Only recommendations, not necessarily needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Migrating from HD to SSD is actually quiet easy assuming you OS is on a sata drive to begin with. It can be done using MS's built in software.

Assuming Windows 7 and your HD is larger than the SSD , shrink it to a size below that of you SSD.

Then create a System Image and bootable recovery CD/DVD. I'd backup the image to an external usb hard hard.

Install new SSD, Boot the computer using the recovery CD/DVD and restore the system image from the external usb.

Once the process is complete, boot to windows and disable defrag

bottom line, if you are technically competent enough migrate your system from one HDD to another then migrating to an SSD is not going to be any more difficult. if you aren't technically competent enough to do the former then why would you assume you could do the latter? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've installed a fresh copy of windows 8 on my new ssd and I'm getting regular shutdowns, being a bit concerned that the ssd might be faulty as I had no issues with the previous HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

People should also note that to benefit the pro version over the stock 840 that your SATA adapter needs to support 6gb. My laptop is two years old and only goes to 3gb/sec so the more expensive pro is off no use.

they are both SATA 6Gb I'm pretty sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

cgc5483 wrote: »
    they are both SATA 6Gb I'm pretty sure

i dont think the sata 3g will take advantage of the pro version's better speeds though

TBi wrote: »
    It's as easy as migrating from HDD to HDD.

It's not as easy as Samsung say it is.

What settings?

AHCI was enabled and secure boot disabled.

AHCI drivers had to be downloaded from manufacturers website first.

AHCI was enabled and secure boot disabled.

AHCI drivers had to be downloaded from manufacturers website first.

Same procedure would need to be followed with any HDD with AHCI enabled. Nothing special to SSD's (or Samsung SSD).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That's a misleading statement. There is difference to be had with the pro drive in random read + writes as well as reads even when limited by 3Gbps. The 840 Pro is a higher quality drive in several ways. Both drives would, of course, benefit on a 6Gbps connection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement