Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberries €1 Dunnes Stores - Friday 19th April only

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'd be interested to see where they're from

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

I'd be interested to see where they're from

Why? They're hardly going to be Irish with the weather we've been having.

Nice one OP. I'll be in like Flynn later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

They'll be those ones that taste of.......wet. I'd also like to know where they are from, given that the further they have to travel the less ripe they were when harvested, and the less ripe they were, the less flavour they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Anyone else remember when strawberries.... tasted like strawberries.

Most of the ones I eat now-a-days tast of water.

Hopefully these ones will be the former!

mitosis wrote: »
    They'll be those ones that taste of.......wet. I'd also like to know where they are from, given that the further they have to travel the less ripe they were when harvested, and the less ripe they were, the less flavour they have.

yeah, like the Dutch ones they have in Lidl, they're so small you don't know if they're strawberries or raspberries.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭LowOdour

500g of Strawberrys cost me 5e in Tesco yesterday. Using them for drinks so would have saved a few euro if I had known

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

LowOdour wrote: »
    500g of Strawberrys cost me 5e in Tesco yesterday. Using them for drinks so would have saved a few euro if I had known

If you are using them for drinks the 750g bag from Lidl for €2 would be better again. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

They're from Spain. Just picked up a punnet in Rathmines. I had to rummage for a decent one. Yet to be tasted :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Anyone else remember when strawberries.... tasted like strawberries.

Most of the ones I eat now-a-days tast of water.

Hopefully these ones will be the former!

The traditional strawberries that we all remember from when we were kids- were varieties such as 'Cambridge Favourite', 'Cambridge Vigour' and the jam ones would have been 'Happle' etc. They are a lot smaller and infinitely tastier than the ubiquitous Elsanta that you'll get in supermarkets these days. The reason supermarkets refuse to sell our traditional fruit- is while the taste is amazing- the shelf life is quite poor. Elsanta on the other hand- look good, have a remarkable shelflife- but taste like, well, they don't really taste......

Lidl, Aldi, Atlantic Homecare and a few other places, have good selections of old varieties of strawberry plants- your best bet is to grow a few window boxes of them- of plant a row in the garden. You won't regret it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Leave at room temp for at least an hour to get the best of any flavour, though best stored in the fridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

smccarrick wrote: »
    The traditional strawberries that we all remember from when we were kids- were varieties such as 'Cambridge Favourite', 'Cambridge Vigour' and the jam ones would have been 'Happle' etc. They are a lot smaller and infinitely tastier than the ubiquitous Elsanta that you'll get in supermarkets these days. The reason supermarkets refuse to sell our traditional fruit- is while the taste is amazing- the shelf life is quite poor. Elsanta on the other hand- look good, have a remarkable shelflife- but taste like, well, they don't really taste......

Lidl, Aldi, Atlantic Homecare and a few other places, have good selections of old varieties of strawberry plants- your best bet is to grow a few window boxes of them- of plant a row in the garden. You won't regret it!

Jesus that is some knowledge you have of strawberries there :D

I grew some in window boxes last year on the balcony and they were delicious. Only problem was I liked them so much they were gone in no time. More plantations needed this year ;)

vicwatson wrote: »
    Leave at room temp for at least an hour to get the best of any flavour, though best stored in the fridge

yeah too many people eat them straight out of the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

I was right!
    Went into Dunnes on Saturday morning and saw a sign for the strawberries for €1 (I didn't see this thread).....checked my receipt and they scanned through at €1.50. Went back to check the price before complaining and noticed the signs had been taken down. Out of principle I went back to Customer Service and asked for a refund. She scoffed at me and told me that the strawberries were NEVER a euro. I began to second guess myself so didn't argue the point and just left.

Advertisement