Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stock or Soup in a stew?

Options
  • 19-04-2013 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

I'm kinda new to making my own stew and i use oxtail soup and some bisto aah and recently came across knorr beef stock cubes (i think Thats what its called). but anyway i have been checking online for recipes and tips but on everything i have come across, none mention oxtail soup or any soup at all its all just Stock, beef chicken vegetable and lamb stock. I am a bit confused by this as i always thought you Had to use soup. Some recipes i saw dont even mention using water (like putting water in the pot and putting everything in) and also on some videos the stock looks to watery and am puzzled as to how the stew looks thick. Can somebody put me out of my misery please and explain this stock/oxtail conspiracy
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

you dont need stock either

your own water will become stock when you boil your meat veg and spuds in it

water meat carrot onion thyme and spuds is all you need

the spuds and onion will thicken it too,

just let it simmer for ages and give it a shake around every now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You don't have to use soup at all. As for stew recipes - you'll probably find that there are as many recipies as there are people who make stew. :)

My own preference is for Oxo stock cubes, as that is what I grew up with & I still love the flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'd also use oxo cubes or stock.A lovely addition to a beef stew is some red wine as well OP!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I use Knorr stock pots all the time with stews. I find they give a nice boost of flavour and aren't too salty

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use Oxo cubes too, plus a squirt of tomato puree and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Most decent stew recipes will have some stock in them - either homemade or made up from cubes/pots.
    Beer and/or wine can add good flavour and make up the liquid volume.
    Most stews, if thickened, are thickened with flour.
    Some people will say to use corn flour - I strongly disagree with them - it gives the stew a gloopy texture - a bit like packet soup will!

I don't see the point in going to the trouble of making a homemade stew to have it end up tasting like packet oxtail soup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

OP if you do a search for stew in this forum lots of threads come up - and there are plenty of recipes in them if you're looking for one: http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=610&query=stew

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

you dont need stock either

your own water will become stock when you boil your meat veg and spuds in it

water meat carrot onion thyme and spuds is all you need

the spuds and onion will thicken it too,

just let it simmer for ages and give it a shake around every now and again

I be making my next one this way.
    You don't have to use soup at all. As for stew recipes - you'll probably find that there are as many recipies as there are people who make stew.

My own preference is for Oxo stock cubes, as that is what I grew up with & I still love the flavour.

yes most recipes i came across had different ingredients in them but i be making a stew a week for the foreseeable future til i master one :)
    I'd also use oxo cubes or stock.A lovely addition to a beef stew is some red wine as well OP!!

Thank you, i'll add wine to the next shopping list, i had a guinness stew abroad before, very nice, so was all the other alcohol related products i had too :D
    I use Knorr stock pots all the time with stews. I find they give a nice boost of flavour and aren't too salty

I think there the ones i already used, they also come for gravy, beautiful taste and not to salty as you said.
    I use Oxo cubes too, plus a squirt of tomato puree and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.

hmm interesting:cool:
    Most decent stew recipes will have some stock in them - either homemade or made up from cubes/pots.
    Beer and/or wine can add good flavour and make up the liquid volume.
    Most stews, if thickened, are thickened with flour.
    Some people will say to use corn flour - I strongly disagree with them - it gives the stew a gloopy texture - a bit like packet soup will!

I don't see the point in going to the trouble of making a homemade stew to have it end up tasting like packet oxtail soup.

What type of beer and how much?
    OP if you do a search for stew in this forum lots of threads come up - and there are plenty of recipes in them if you're looking for one: http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?...610&query=stew

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kilograms wrote: »
    What type of beer and how much?

thanks

In a beef stew, any dark or red ale.
    Belgian bruin is especially nice.
    I'd throw 33-50cl in a stew with 1KG of meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I use 1 oxo cube and the knorr one as well!

Definitely use about 2 tablespoons of tomato puree, some fresh rosemary and thyme also makes a big difference.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

kilograms wrote: »
    I be making my next one this way.

meat in water first

then add thyme onion and carrot

give spuds about 25 mins

dont let it boil,just keep it simmering,shake the pot around every now and again after you put the spuds in ;)

salt and pepper if ya want

try to get good floury spuds if ya can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

If you find your struggling for depth of flavour at the end worchester sauce (not too much mind, just add an taste, cos its a make/break addition) and tomato puree-as DizzyBlonde said. Maybe add a splash of your light soy sauce.

No tomato puree at hand? Horse in a wee bit of ketchup or brown sauce/yr sauce-whatever you have sitting on the shelf. Just dont let the puritans see ya at that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 breen_og

Agree with most of whats said above, ultimately its down to personal preferance. As has already been said loads of threads/info available. Only thing I can add is use whatever liquid stock/base you like, and to thicken:

Use 1oz roux per pint
    Meaning 1oz butter, 1oz flour, 1pint stock.

In metric approx:
    28g flour
    28g butter
    580 stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Mr Simpson wrote: »

I worked it out once, they contain more salt than dry stock cubes. Nothing wrong with that, just that I wouldn't advise people to add salt in addition to them.

Me personally? I love Kallo stock cubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

you can always thicken it with a bit of cornflour and water mixed together... Wine is nice in it, NEVER had beer and not brave enough to try cos I don't drink it. One tip is to coat the cubes of meat in flour and brown in batches in butter and olive oil- should give a lovely rich colour. Stews are the business"

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

breen_og wrote: »
    Agree with most of whats said above, ultimately its down to personal preferance. As has already been said loads of threads/info available. Only thing I can add is use whatever liquid stock/base you like, and to thicken:

Use 1oz roux per pint
    Meaning 1oz butter, 1oz flour, 1pint stock.

In metric approx:
    28g flour
    28g butter
    580 stock

Can you clarify this ? This works out at 2oz roux per pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I never add water. Only a can of guinness and a few splashes of red wine.

I usually add a teaspoon of veg bouillon and two knorr stock cubes. I avoid oxo as I don't like the idea of MSGs in my stews

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

A can of red ale and a beef stock cube for me.

Now I want a stew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Finely chopping and single stick of Celery into the stew also gives it a great flavor. ;)

Advertisement