Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek fashion

Options
  • 18-04-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

Why is it in the 24th century people wear pants up to their chests, clothes coloured solely by earth tones and undignified onesies? I think TNG was responsible for this the most, TOS was just tripped out funky, Ent is probably closest to our era.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

hah I just watched 'the inner light' and I had a good laugh at picard's pantaloons! :)

some trivia I red somewhere...apparently the red tng uniforms are actually maroon but the light shows them up as red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

24th century fashion does look ridiculous to us, I would say that the designers deliberately went to the extreme with their designs so as to create a very noticeable distance from fashion in the present day.

Look at fashions in the Victorian era, the 18th century, or Renaissance England.. to any of them our fashions today (hoodies, tracksuits, jeans, suits etc etc) would look ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Don't forget the 60's style all in one dresses the men wore in TNG, those were really bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Don't forget the 60's style all in one dresses the men wore in TNG, those were really bad.

What were that at there? Trying to show that discrimination wasn't a factor in the 24th century or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

EnterNow wrote: »
    What were that at there? Trying to show that discrimination wasn't a factor in the 24th century or something?

I've no idea but it's a good an answer as any, and quite funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I've no idea but it's a good an answer as any, and quite funny.

My god, that took me back to the days of MySpace where a randomer called 'Secret Asian Man' added me.

Looks like his profile is still there:
    http://www.myspace.com/secret_asianman

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

They seem to be wearing skinny jeans in the new movie, based on the screen captions I've seen... And it's part of the uniform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Trousers are relatively new (in a global term)

Imagine... you were at war with the federation and Picard hails you for negotiations and he's standing there in a 60s style mini :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

johnmryan wrote: »
    Imagine... you were at war with the federation and Picard hails you for negotiations and he's stating there in a 60s style mini :eek:

Ohhh man that'd certainly be a fantasy of mine realised! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

They seem to be wearing skinny jeans in the new movie, based on the screen captions I've seen... And it's part of the uniform

WHAT?! Fck that! I'm boycotting this film! Skinny jeans are an insult against nature!!!!!!!! I'll take chest pants, onesies and earth tones anyday over skinny jeans!!!!!! What are they playing at!? Why are these still in fashion!!! They've been around forever, just kill it with fire already!!!! rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,nnnnnnnnnnnnnnrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

WHAT?! Fck that! I'm boycotting this film! Skinny jeans are an insult against nature!!!!!!!! I'll take chest pants, onesies and earth tones anyday over skinny jeans!!!!!! What are they playing at!? Why are these still in fashion!!! They've been around forever, just kill it with fire already!!!! rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,nnnnnnnnnnnnnnrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Well they looked like skinny jeans to me, but I could be wrong.Also if I am correct... as a Star Trek fan you are now obliged to buy and wear a pair! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Imagine... you were at war with the federation and Picard hails you for negotiations and he's standing there in a 60s style mini :eek:

Not half as bad as Locutus in a cybernetic Borg minidress

Loved the org of that era... came with a black polo neck vest thing and lots of rubber...
    http://borgdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/locutus.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Space trannies, all of them! :D

Advertisement