Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest Subjects

Options
  • 18-04-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey guys, just here to see what people think are the 'easiest' subjects to achieve an A1 in! I think business - really straight forward and easy to achieve marks in. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Personally i think nothing! no subject is any easier to do well in than others i think it is how easy one person finds a subject theirself.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Claire1456

I agree! Just wondering what people think is easier to gain marks in than others :)

Claire1456 wrote: »
    I agree! Just wondering what people think is easier to gain marks in than others :)

yea :) i see what you mean about business because i always found it easy enough to get marks but i have seen alot of people struggle to do well in it! or they say they find it easy enough and are shocked when they get the results back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Personally i think nothing! no subject is any easier to do well in than others i think it is how easy one person finds a subject theirself.

Totally agree with this poster!
    But here's a recent article which answers your question in the technical sense:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/what-are-the-easiest-leaving-cert-subjects-1.1251684?page=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Everyone has their own preferences, but I honestly think the subject Physics & Chemistry is the easiest.

6 questions on physics, 6 on chemistry, pick 3 from each section. Pretty short subject too. All short questions, no long ones.

Downside of it is there's on official book for it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Business is very dependent on what marker you get, I've heard too many stories about inconsistencies in the marking to have any faith in it, and I say that having got an A in the mocks.

I don't really think there are any easy A's due to the bell curve tbh.

dee_mc wrote: »
    Totally agree with this poster!
    But here's a recent article which answers your question in the technical sense:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/what-are-the-easiest-leaving-cert-subjects-1.1251684?page=1

Yea that article is interesting , it does make sense and the stats are there but i still wouldn't look into it too much , you could be completely different to the average student/norm , you may have a maths brain and find that really easy while someone struggles on end at it.

The reason I found that article interesting is because it proves your original point: the subjects which require the most 'flair' are the ones which award the most A grades, therefore students perform better in subjects they choose because they love/like them, e.g. music, as opposed to subjects chosen because they are widely seen as an easy option, e.g. home economics.

The bell curve. WHY must you exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I don't think there is an 'easiest' subject tbh! I think for anyone there easiest subject will be the one they enjoy the most! :)

• Advertisement

I agree :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

The easiest ones are those in which you can learn the material and recite it.

There are no excuses for poor results in business, geography,biology for example, you either know the material or you don't. You don't need to understand things (such as maths, chemistry), anyone that does poorly in those three as an example need to really take a look at themselves.

Business is very dependent on what marker you get, I've heard too many stories about inconsistencies in the marking to have any faith in it, and I say that having got an A in the mocks.

I don't really think there are any easy A's due to the bell curve tbh.

Stories from people that didn't get what they wanted. I did the leaving twice, A2 business both times. Was disappointed I didn't get about 97 the second time around and was sure the marker had been stingy. Nope, viewed my script and it just wasn't good enough, my answers were very good but the marking scheme was quite strict. No inconsistencies in marking, people are probably being graded a tad easily all year compared to the official scheme.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    The easiest ones are those in which you can learn the material and recite it.

There are no excuses for poor results in business, geography,biology for example, you either know the material or you don't. You don't need to understand things (such as maths, chemistry), anyone that does poorly in those three as an example need to really take a look at themselves.

There are several excuses for poor results in business, geography, biology for example: not everybody is capable of learning off material by rote without necessarily understanding it. Anyone who does poorly in those subjects and others like them need to take a look at alternative subjects which might suit them better, or perhaps need to discuss study techniques with their teachers, but the advice to 'take a look at themselves' is so incredibly unhelpful to someone who genuinely struggles with a particular subject.

Rant over, thanks.

dee_mc wrote: »
    There are several excuses for poor results in business, geography, biology for example: not everybody is capable of learning off material by rote without necessarily understanding it. Anyone who does poorly in those subjects and others like them need to take a look at alternative subjects which might suit them better, or perhaps need to discuss study techniques with their teachers, but the advice to 'take a look at themselves' is so incredibly unhelpful to someone who genuinely struggles with a particular subject.

Rant over, thanks.

Okay then, what is there in business or geography for example that's difficult to understand? Ratios perhaps, what else?

No need to thank me, I bring impartial advice for the benefit of others with no need or want for acknowledgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Technical Drawing

Okay then, what is there in business or geography for example that's difficult to understand? Ratios perhaps, what else?

No need to thank me, I bring impartial advice for the benefit of others with no need or want for acknowledgement.

The point I'm making is that different people understand things at different levels: I didn't study Geography for the Leaving Cert because I found it difficult to understand the more scientific aspects of the course at Junior Cert level; however I elected to study Business for the Leaving because I found it logical as well as interesting: some people find it easier to understand things, and of course to motivate themselves to learn, if they have an interest in and an affinity to the particular subject.
    The reason I quoted your post was because I disagreed with your point: people do have different learning styles and interests, and so in my opinion there is an 'excuse' for certain people performing badly in certain subjects despite making an effort to learn. I stand by my point that for some people, the option to 'just learn it off' doesn't exist. The reason the tone of my previous post was sharp is that, as a teacher, I have seen students feel demeaned by their peers who assume that everyone can learn in the same way as one another, and I'd hate for others reading your post to feel that way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I shouldn't have phrased my message in such a way as to say 'you are wrong', I should have phrased it to say 'in my opinion, your opinion is wrong'.

Ah don't mind me it was tongue in cheek.

Let me rephrase it: If you can learn it off and are willing to learn a subject as per the notes, business and geography are two which stand out.

Cheers for the rephrase, I had a nightmare of a time choosing subjects for my own Leaving Cert and so can empathise with those having a hard time now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Urban Sea, our teacher told us after viewing scripts one year that most of the class should have gotten one/two grades higher. It was the first year in a long time that there were no A's despite the class being of equal standard to previous years, which would suggest that the marker you get makes a difference.

In regard to you saying that all Geography and Business involve is learning stuff off, I would agree with you to an extent. However, due to the bell curve the chance of getting an A are pretty much the same as in most other subjects.

Also, you might want to quit the dogmatic attitude, it's really irritating.

• Advertisement

Ah don't mind me it was tongue in cheek.

Let me rephrase it: If you can learn it off and are willing to learn a subject as per the notes, business and geography are two which stand out.
    Urban Sea, our teacher told us after viewing scripts one year that most of the class should have gotten one/two grades higher. It was the first year in a long time that there were no A's despite the class being of equal standard to previous years, which would suggest that the marker you get makes a difference.

In regard to you saying that all Geography and Business involve is learning stuff off, I would agree with you to an extent. However, due to the bell curve the chance of getting an A are pretty much the same as in most other subjects.

Also, you might want to quit the dogmatic attitude, it's really irritating.

:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,168 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Claire1456 wrote: »
    Guys, just here for a friendly discussion. Cool it :D
    Anyways back to my point, people think geography is an 'easy A' but due to the volume of people doing it, the bell curve kicks in. Imagine a corrector receiving 100 scripts with the same essays from each student, they're natural instinct is to downgrade the ones that are not as detailed as others. Anyone agree?

No, they mark according to the marking scheme. The bell curve applies in all subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

The bell curve only exists because of the natural spread of ability that exists among the students themselves. It's not planned ahead that only a certain % of students can get an A/B/C etc in a given subject. If that were the case, roughly same % would get a C1 or an A1 in every single subject. That's not how it is -- in 2012 1% got an A1 in HL Art, 7.3% got an A1 in HL Irish, and 18% got an A1 in HL Applied Maths. And it makes sense that a ridiculous proportion of those taking Ap Maths would do well -- students generally only take it on (as an extra subject, usually) if they're good at it.

*Edit: the reason it "only kicks in" where a large number are taking a subject is that the more popular a subject is, the greater variety of ability you'll find in the students taking it. Like I said, Applied Maths is taken up mostly by very able students with a particular interest in Maths/Physics, whereas a subject like Geography or Business is generally taken by every type of student. The marking schemes are adjusted where the examiners feel that a question on the paper was too easy or too difficult than the marks as indicated on the paper should warrant, but once the official marking scheme is decided, an individual examiner must mark according to it. Individual examiners, marking 100 scripts, are not told "ok, in this batch you must only have 2 A1s, 3 A2s...".

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

All depends on the person. I found maths, physics and applied maths nice subjects but found the languages impossible.

Advertisement