Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary negligence?

Options
  • 18-04-2013 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    I had a cat. She started to lose weight so I took her to a vet who did some blood test (including sugar level) and said that there was nothing wrong with her.The vet told me to come back after a month if she hasn't improved, but as I was really concerned about my cat's health I went to look for a second opinion. The next vet told that he'd get a blood tests results from the first vet so he didn't have to repeat the tests that had already been done. The cat was getting worse, the vet didn't know what's wrong with her, he did multiple tests and finally he suggested a surgery to check what was going on. The cat was too weak to survive the surgery at that stage so I seeked a third opinion. After five minutes' visit at the third vet she got a diagnosis - cat was diabetic, with ketoacidosis at that stage. It appeared that the second vet got only the first vet's opinion on the phone, stating that blood tests for sugar were OK (I have a 2nd vet's written statement), while they showed hugely increased sugar level (normal result is 8, she had 22, I've got the results, too). The first vet misinterpreted the results and instead of faxing the results when asked she just gave her interpretation of them on the phone. Is there any chance to do anything with that? I know that I can't get my cat back, but I don't want the incompetent vet to get away with it. Besides, it costed me over 1700 Eur to try to save my cat, while everything that had to be done was to set up an insulin level at the very beginning. I lost my cat and I just can't get over it, especially that she might have survived if diagnosed and treated properly.
    Best regards,
    Joanna
    Tagged:

Advertisement