Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia Vrs Advice

Options
  • 18-04-2013 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

First time poster looking for your opinions. I am viewing a 2008 Octavia VRS 170 tdi over the next couple of days, though a private seller (friend of a friend). The car is not advertised.

It has 85k miles on the clock. It needs 2 new tyres and new brake pads...there is also a slight dent over the rear wheel arch (difficult to notice I am told).

The seller is looking for €12900 with tyres, dent fixed and new brake pads all done though the main dealer. Car has been serviced through the main dealer all along.

The seller will however take €11000 for the car as it is.

What do you think? Get my own mechanic to do the work himself and take it for 11k? Thats what I am leaning towards. How competitive is 11k for one of these anyways?

All advice appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

If you are any way mechanical you could change the pads yourself, they should only cost about 80 euro ish (im estimating this by the fact that I got 2 pads for an astra last week for 32)

The two tires... I'd estimate about 130 euro each, depending on the size and quality you go for.

As for the dent, could you live with it? I think it would be an excellent price at 11,000 plus 350 for the parts. He seems to be estimating quite a lot for the dent repair, but obviously as I havent seen it I cant comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

How bad is the dent, as tyres and pads can't be more than 400 ish for a dealer to do and getting very good quality tyres? That leaves 1500 which for a small dent seems excessive. I think you should check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Could you just go onto various websites, search for the same car with the same criteria and see what price they are going for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

€11000 is a good deal for a diesel one.

Just best get a mechanic to do a one over on it just to be safe.
    I have a petrol one and love the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 northmall12

Thanks guys.

wandatowell....yep i have done that and estimated the cost of bringing one in from the UK etc. But I am no expert and always like to get a second opinion from those who may know more.

I think the dent is minimal...so I am told...but I won't know til I go and see the car...I think I will go with it and get my mechanic to do the work himself.

Worst case scenario the car is on the road for 11,700 without the dent fixed which is not the end of the world for me. That's not a bad price for the car fixed as I'd say it would fetch closer to 13k with work done.

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A main dealer will charge top dollar for tyres and brake pads and chances are they will buy the tyres locally and then add their cut to the price. I'd price them independantly yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Tyres can be got for priobably half price from camskill in the uk, Oem brake pads can't be that expensive, just depends on how bad the dent is really and if it's a pure PDR job or if it requires paint correction or worst case scenareo a panel resprayed and paint matched up

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

May help in bargaining.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4663486

Any pics of the car you are looking at? What colour is it? Note that UK vrs's usually have a lower spec than the irish ones. Check to see does it have the MFD (multifunction display) as shown in the ad I posted.

Briskoda is a good site to check out.

Advertisement