Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant after recurrent miscarriages

Options
  • 18-04-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, but maybe somebody can give me some advice anyway.

Over the last few years, I've had 5 miscarriages ranging from 8 weeks to 16 weeks. We had lots of tests, etc, but they didn't find any reason for why it was happening. 'Just one of those things' is now officially my least favourite expression!

Anyway, my husband and I decided to try once more....and I'm now almost 8 weeks pregnant again (but absolutely terrified) No matter how much I tell myself to calm down and try not to think about it, there's always a little part of me that's worrying about it all going wrong again.

So yesterday, I had a gp appointment. I expected her to suggest a special diet or something...anything that we could try to help get the pregnancy to full term. But, she had nothing to offer.

She just said to wait and see what the consultant suggests when I see her (but that's not for another 10 days).

So here's where I need some help....is there anything that I should be doing (or not doing) to increase our chances? Otherwise, my mind will be over-thinking everything until we see our consultant.

Thanks a mil for any suggestions you have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I have absolutely no suggestions sorry but just wanted to wish you all the best, you and your husband are incredibly brave and I hope all works out for you and your little baba! Mind yourself and put the feet up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I know you're going to hate hearing this but just try to relax as much as possible! Do things that you enjoy, read, listen to music, go to your favourite coffee shop, pamper yourself, have cuddles...I know it's incredibly hard, but just try to stay calm.

Wishing you all the very best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Yeah doctors aren't really great with what to do in those area's really I was told gettin pregnant would be impossible and if it happened I am at risk of miscarriage but there was nothin they could suggest to prevent this. However I was told to take up swimming. It's relaxing.

What I'd suggest is have some time for you and your hubby like dinner and cinema things like that make date nights somethin you can look forward to.

Lucyfur is right reading and music so on can help find your best way of relaxing and try concentrate on just that. Although that been said it's really hard when you have fears of somethin happening and no one can fault you for it I just hope that somethin suggested works for you

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

What sort of tests did you get?

Did your dr check your hormone levels? It's possible you could have PCOS, thyroid problems or something similar. Are you a healthy weight for your height? Have you been taking prenatal vitamins?

Maca can be very helpful for people trying to boost natural fertility. As others have said, try and relax as much as possible, keep your feet up as much as you can, no lifting heavy things...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

Hi ScaredToHope
    Firstly congrats on your pregnancy and I hope all is still well with you as I note it's nearly 2 weeks since you posted.
    I suffer from PCOS and went through fertility treatment on my 3 kids. AS part of this I had to use progesterone pessaries during the first trimester to prevent miscarriage.
    Also I'm sure I read somewhere that low dose aspirin was proven successful to prevent miscarriage in some women.
    As far as I'm aware neither of these have any adverse affect on the baby.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I have a friend who was in a similar position and - this is going to sound very hippyish - but she was told to visualise the baby with a strong beating heartbeat and to meditate on that every day. I know it might not be for everyone but it really helped her.She also went for a few scans as her doctor informed her that when you see your baby you release some kind of chemical that helps the baby/pregnancy. I guess it's just basic positive thinking.

It could be pure rubbish but she's 20 weeks now after numerous miscarriages last year so I figure it cant to any harm.

Fingers and toes crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

Hi Scared to hope, It must be so hard for you - I can understand thinking that if you went on a special diet ect... you would have some control over the situation.

The risk of miscarriage is actually very small after 10 weeks so if your at 10 weeks now you are already through the most perilous time.

i hope you can take everyone else's advice to relax. Stress is so incredibly bad for you.

Good luck - crossing everything for you as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 czipownik

Unusual in Ireland but routine in Poland where I come from. Progesterone hormone tablets are the norm in early stages of pregnancy. Obviously subject to doctor's decision and prescription. Low progesterone level is a quite common cause of early miscarriages. There are reference level norms against which blood samples should be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am so sorry for your losses, and congratulations on your new pregnancy. I am on my third pregnancy in the past 12 months and I know that desperate fear and dread mingled with daring-to-hope. I am surprised your GP didn't refer you to a consultant or early pregnancy unit. If your previous tests dis not show hormone or blood clotting issues, then medically there is little they can do. However some research in the leading recurrent miscarriage unit in Britain has shown evidence that even being offered close medical supervision can have a direct positive impact on outcomes, regardless of other factors or even if no actual treatment is offered.

For your mental and emotional health, I recommend referring your self to the medical social work team or psychiatric support midwife in your hospital. I find both services invaluable. The fear, and the related sleepless nights, panic attacks, loss of appetite, concentration issues etc can be crippling. I wish I had the magic answer for you. Some of the tips above will help. I also find journaling / writing down my feelings helpful to have an outlet when I feel overwhelmed. Best wishes trying to find what works for you. The Miscarriage Association might suit you too.

And best wishes for this pregnancy, I will say a prayer for you and your baby.

Advertisement