Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 - barely any training so far!!

Options
  • 18-04-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Having a dilemma whether to go ahead to do Wicklow 200 (doing 100km) event with barely any training so far mostly due to the ****ty weather & strong winds we've been having..

An amateur cyclist and the most I've done is 60km on mostly flat surfaces & one attempt up Howth Head.. Heading to Greystones next week.

So seeking advice from experienced cyclists! Would you say one month of training from now is too late or I'm going to die on the day..!? :(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

U still have time if you get out on the bike regularly. That is 2-3 days a week. Starting this weekend, head over to Wicklow and do plenty of hills. You need to get your body used to being on the bike fot 5 or 6 hours. Go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

...the most I've done is 60km on mostly flat surfaces & one attempt up Howth Head...

That's fairly similar my position heading into my first Wicklow 100. I did that on a hybrid and even though I was wrecked at the end, I made it. It was a great feeling.

See if you can do some more 60km cycles at weekends or even up it a small bit. If you can get some hills in, that will stand you in good stead as you will start to learn how to pace yourself on them. Keep some cycling going during the week to keep your fitness up and you'll be fine.

The weather has been crap, but put yourself in a determined frame of mind, know that you have over a month to go - that should be four 60+ km spins. You'll find by then that you can do 60km easy enough and then it's just a bit of a stretch on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭leecurlywurly

I cycle daily to work although it's 4-10km depending on the route I take. This week 4km.. Rubbish I know! :D When I'm around, I tend to aim for a long spin on Sunday which is the plan in the next couple weeks. This Sunday, couple laps on Howth head if its not too windy.. wind & coast = Hell. Greystones/Wicklow next week.

I want to enjoy the wicklow cycle rather beating myself up!

Have youse been training much??

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

Having a dilemma whether to go ahead to do Wicklow 200 (doing 100km) event with barely any training so far mostly due to the ****ty weather & strong winds we've been having..

An amateur cyclist and the most I've done is 60km on mostly flat surfaces & one attempt up Howth Head.. Heading to Greystones next week.

So seeking advice from experienced cyclists! Would you say one month of training from now is too late or I'm going to die on the day..!? :(

Thanks
    Should be easily doable, I done the 80km Tour de Picnic cycle after 2 and a half weeks of training, was going for 20km spins 3 evenings during the week and a longer one at the weekends. Got through it grand and made decent time but the next morning it took a while to get the legs working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I cycle daily to work although it's 4-10km depending on the route I take. This week 4km.. Rubbish I know! :D

Start taking the long route every day. That gets you a base of 100km per week. Now start an extended commute once or twice a week (leave an hour earlier or get home an hour later). That'll get you plenty of 'free' training time and you can then build on that base...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

You're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Get out and get some hills in those legs at least once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I would'nt attempt it if I was you, judging by youre miles ridden so far.Plus youre comment about the bad weather tells me you have'nt the mental edge to push yourself.If you don't start putting in serious miles around Wicklow starting this weekend don't enter the WW.You'll end up in a whole world of trouble,and be a unnecessary burden to the broom crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I would'nt attempt it if I was you, judging by youre miles ridden so far.Plus youre comment about the bad weather tells me you have'nt the mental edge to push yourself.If you don't start putting in serious miles around Wicklow starting this weekend don't enter the WW.You'll end up in a whole world of trouble,and be a unnecessary burden to the broom crew.

Wow - that's pretty amazing! Is that an attempt to shame OP into training or do you really think that their 100 will be slower than the slow guys on the 200?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

with barely any training so far mostly due to the ****ty weather & strong winds we've been having..

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Rule 5

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Rubbish! The Wicklow 100k is well within the ability of most people with a modest level of fitness and a couple of months training. First year I did it without doing more than 65k beforehand, and about two months training with 1-2 spins per weekend, albeit mostly in the hills. You wont be a burden on anyone, and wont be last person back. There'll be loads of people there, with a wide range of ability, and you'll have plenty of company going at a relaxed pace.

Get some hours in the saddle and some hills under the wheels and you should have no bother. Something like Rathfarnham - Cruagh - Glencree - Enniskerry and back is a good starting point at about 40k, and if you can extend it to include the Sallygap and back via Roundwood or Kilbride you'll have no difficulty whatsoever with the WW100. FWIW, first time I did the WW100 three years ago, I only started training early April and was puffing and panting going up the hills for the first couple of weeks. Having done the 200 for the last couple of years, I'm still puffing an panting going up the hills, still coming in with terrible times, and still really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

I don't agree, I think op would be able for 100 if he gets out and gets plenty of hills in every week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaka wrote: »
    if he gets out and gets plenty of hills in every week.

I think this is the issue, he's not...........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

RobFowl wrote: »
    I think this is the issue, he's not...........

Yeah, but the question was is it too late? My answer, nope, it's not too late. Question then becomes Do you really want to? Funny enough, these same questions and answers pop up for pretty much every sporting endeavour. Can I do it? Yes, if you want to. Will I do it? Maybe, get your ass off the sofa and give it a go, you might just surprise yourself. And don't panic, the sofa is very forgiving, and will happily take you back if it all goes tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Yep I would think it's too late. You want to get back to the shoreline in a reasonable state and with 6 weeks of training left I think it would make for a miserable and long day.

It's supposed to be challenge and it is for even the very fittest and experienced riders, but with 6 weeks train it would be torture.

The 100 route is well doable within your timeframes. Maybe you could then sign up for a longer and tougher event later in the year like the Tour of Waterford 160.

Advertisement