Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Aldi Stores

Options
  • 18-04-2013 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Anyone know if any new of the Aldi stores announced today are Limerick bound - Newcastle West possibly?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Anyone know if any new of the Aldi stores announced today are Limerick bound - Newcastle West possibly?

This is all that is being mentioned on Newstalk.ie:
    Aldi is to create 300 new jobs in Ireland within the next three years.

It's part of an expansion programme of its Irish store network, which will see the company open 20 new stores, with each employing 15 people.

The new stores will include East Wall Road in Dublin, Greystones in Co. Wicklow, Tralee in Co. Kerry, Ballybofey in Co. Donegal and Charleville in Co. Cork.

Aldi opens it's 100th Irish store today in Callan, Co. Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

They had tried to get permission to build one on the outskirts of the Dooradoyle/Raheen area, but there were objections from various councillors and as a result planning permission for the size store Aldi wanted to build was refused.

There was some talk after that that Aldi would just by pass Limerick as part of their 20 new store plan and build elsewhere instead, but I do know that they have not fully given up on the idea of another Limerick store yet (or at least they had not the last time I spoke with someone with Aldi)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

Kess73 wrote: »
    They had tried to get permission to build one on the outskirts of the Dooradoyle/Raheen area, but there were objections from various councillors and as a result planning permission for the size store Aldi wanted to build was refused.

There was some talk after that that Aldi would just by pass Limerick as part of their 20 new store plan and build elsewhere instead, but I do know that they have not fully given up on the idea of another Limerick store yet (or at least they had not the last time I spoke with someone with Aldi)

God they'd have to be very childish to do that. Surely if they thought a big store would make sense there, a smaller store would also make sense.

pigtown wrote: »
    God they'd have to be very childish to do that. Surely if they thought a big store would make sense there, a smaller store would also make sense.

Was in the local papers not too long ago, complete with comments that a large Aldi on the outskirts would be damaging to shops in the county and would be damaging to the city and county as an Aldi would, in the opinion of business savvy councillors, go towards creating a doughnut effect. Was lots of waffle also about how it would not comply with the mid western business strategy that is in place.

If memory serves right there have now been a number of businesses refused planning permission over the past 12 -24 months that would have brought new jobs to the city and count. Guess having headlines in the Leader of Post about massive job boosts that never happen is more important than actual jobs being created.

Funny how large centras or Spars can be built or expanded on the outskirts though, with no such uproar about them creating doughnut effects or damaging shops in the county....

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/5238-council-shoots-down-aldi-plans-.html

• Advertisement

Was in the local papers not too long ago, complete with comments that a large Aldi on the outskirts would be damaging to shops in the county and would be damaging to the city and county as an Aldi would, in the opinion of business savvy councillors, go towards creating a doughnut effect. Was lots of waffle also about how it would not comply with the mid western business strategy that is in place.

If memory serves right there have now been a number of businesses refused planning permission over the past 12 -24 months that would have brought new jobs to the city and count. Guess having headlines in the Leader of Post about massive job boosts that never happen is more important than actual jobs being created.

Funny how large centras or Spars can be built or expanded on the outskirts though, with no such uproar about them creating doughnut effects or damaging shops in the county....

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/5238-council-shoots-down-aldi-plans-.html

Ya I remember having an argument about it on here somewhere. The councillors were quite right to oppose it. Aldi want(ed) to build a store that was bigger than is allowed in the retail strategy. They are quite welcome to build a store of that size within the city bounds, or alternatively build a store that doesn't breach the guidelines. If they thought there was demand for the large store they want to build then I'm sure they wouldn't be too quick to throw a tantrum and abandon the city altogether if they don't get their way.

pigtown wrote: »
    Ya I remember having an argument about it on here somewhere. The councillors were quite right to oppose it. Aldi want(ed) to build a store that was bigger than is allowed in the retail strategy. They are quite welcome to build a store of that size within the city bounds, or alternatively build a store that doesn't breach the guidelines. If they thought there was demand for the large store they want to build then I'm sure they wouldn't be too quick to throw a tantrum and abandon the city altogether if they don't get their way.

They have tried a number of times afaik over a period of a couple of years to get permission for a store that size, so it is not a case of them having a tantrum. It is a case of them imo not having the time to waste on councillors who are trying to play parish pump politics. Don't imagine they will be too worried though as they will still open 20 new stores in the coming three years, and unlike the made up massive job boost claims that get ran in the Limerick papers every few months, the20 Aldi stores will open and will be up and running whilst the mid western retail "strategy" is still releasing statements about all the jobs it is about to help encourage to Limerick and the surrounding environs.

The 1400 square metre stores are flagship stores and they wanted to have one in Limerick. It would also create more jobs than a standard sized Aldi store.

One of the problems with building one within the city limits is the lack of available sites and also objections from certain parties to Aldi getting a large store within the city limits just as Tesco had objections to them bringing one of their small express stores to the city centre.

The retail strategy is nothing more than a joke, and will cost Limerick (city and county) to miss out on more employment bringers than it will bring in. People will still be whinging in one, two, five and ten years that Limerick is being overlooked by companies when a lot of the blame for that lies at the door of decision makers with no background at all in business be it retail, commercial or otherwise.

Then again when Limerick has a councillor who publicly states to a local paper that in his opinion the city has twice as many retail/commercial businesses than it needs and he would be happy to see half of what is currently in the city shut, it gives a good indication as to why Limerick is much closer to being a town rather than a true city in business terms.

I guess we will have to put up with the usual run of paper articles regarding massive job boosts for the city and county. Story after story about how companies are falling over themselves to come to Limerick and the usual tales about the Opera Centre being on the cusp of becoming the heartbeat of the city. The same Opera centre that has now being acknowledged as not being fit for purpose to be a major retail centre in the city despite all the rubbish spouted before about the major retailers wanting to go there.

They have tried a number of times afaik over a period of a couple of years to get permission for a store that size, so it is not a case of them having a tantrum. It is a case of them imo not having the time to waste on councillors who are trying to play parish pump politics. Don't imagine they will be too worried though as they will still open 20 new stores in the coming three years,

What I was trying to say is that if Aldi think they would have the customer base for a flagship store in Raheen, surely they would also have enough customers to have a successful average sized store that didn't contravene the retail strategy.
    One of the problems with building one within the city limits is the lack of available sites and also objections from certain parties to Aldi getting a large store within the city limits just as Tesco had objections to them bringing one of their small express stores to the city centre.

There is plenty of room for an Aldi store in the city if they put in a bit of effort, as we're all aware the city isn't exactly full. I think i read somewhere on here that Tesco didn't open because they couldn't fit their delivery trucks into the site.
    The retail strategy is nothing more than a joke, and will cost Limerick (city and county) to miss out on more employment bringers than it will bring in. People will still be whinging in one, two, five and ten years that Limerick is being overlooked by companies when a lot of the blame for that lies at the door of decision makers with no background at all in business be it retail, commercial or otherwise.

Maybe you're right but I mean surely if a company identifies Limerick as a location for a new store, it doesn't really matter if they have to open in the centre if they want a large store? If this strategy was in place a decade ago, what are the chances that TkMaxx, Next, Heatons/Sportsworld et al would now be trading from the city centre, just like they do in Dublin, Cork, and Galway? Or would they have decided that because they couldn't open in the suburbs then they wouldn't open at all?
    Then again when Limerick has a councillor who publicly states to a local paper that in his opinion the city has twice as many retail/commercial businesses than it needs and he would be happy to see half of what is currently in the city shut, it gives a good indication as to why Limerick is much closer to being a town rather than a true city in business terms.

I don't know who you're talking about but he may have a point. Castletroy SC, Coonagh Cross SC, EastPoint RP, ParkPoint RP, are all pretty much empty and god help us if Parkway Valley SC ever gets finished.
    I guess we will have to put up with the usual run of paper articles regarding massive job boosts for the city and county. Story after story about how companies are falling over themselves to come to Limerick and the usual tales about the Opera Centre being on the cusp of becoming the heartbeat of the city. The same Opera centre that has now being acknowledged as not being fit for purpose to be a major retail centre in the city despite all the rubbish spouted before about the major retailers wanting to go there.

I think you should stop believing the local papers unless they quote an actual person involved and not just 'sources' and councillors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I hate Aldi and Lidl but would love to see one open in the heart of the city centre (pipedream) it would bring more people into the city centre and there are plenty of vacant sites, like the old dunnes that they could use as it doesn't seem like the museum will be going in there (another pipedream)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

I have heard that the aldi in rebogue is the busiest in Ireland, Anyone conform this. Any time i'm there the shop is packed. I cant see why they wouldnt put another one in limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    I have heard that the aldi in rebogue is the busiest in Ireland, Anyone conform this. Any time i'm there the shop is packed. I cant see why they wouldnt put another one in limerick.

Yes, second busiest in the country apparently. My friend's husband is a manager there and he's said it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Do wish we could have an Aldi and Dunnes nearer to Newcastlewest - really need something extra here - The Tescos we have is too small and the two SuperValu stores are getting there, but tend to cater for large families who eat processed food. A Marks & Sparks would draw a lot of extra business out this way, but probably a non-runner given the current state of the nation!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pokethebear

So agree iora rua.
    There have been stories doing the rounds about a site off the Square hosting an Aldi but I have yet to see a planning application. It is much needed. Dunnes and Marks are non runners, Tesco is a disaster and the SV's are over priced. Lidl is ok but Aldi's range and quality is much better. It would clean up if opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They've built on a big chunk onto the one in Roxboro, think its closed for the next few weeks.
    Looks to be a fair size now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 djmeerkat

Aldi Raheen store is just one signature away now -http: //live95fm.ie/news/city-and-county-manager-ignored-as-councillors-plough-ahead-with-plan-for-aldi/18466

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Looks like we are finally getting our Aldi here in NCW!!!! :-)
    https://www.facebook.com/limerickslive95?fref=nf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Is it this week or next that Aldi is opening it's doors.

Is it this week or next that Aldi is opening it's doors.

This week I think but can't find an exact date. I think I heard the 10th somewhere

This week I think but can't find an exact date. I think I heard the 10th somewhere

Never mind that. Just read NCW and knocknacarra are both opening on the 19th

Advertisement