Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vmware - seperate networking connection

Options
  • 18-04-2013 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

HI Guys

Im looking to set up a VM on my laptop that will use the wireless network card to connect to the net and have my laptop use the LAN. Can anyone tell me if this is possible before I go spending a few hours trying to figure it out.

I have some software that I want to run that might infringe on my companies IT policy so Im afraid they are going to ask me to remove it from my laptop. Its a betfair trading app so Im looking to use my iphone as a personal hotspot and have the VM connect to the net through that so I can get pricing information during the day but have the rest of my laptop use the internal network.

So is it possible with VM's or am I going about this arseways?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Best option is to use a USB Wifi adapter or USB tether to your phone.

Also has a side note, what you are planning on doing if more them likely a bigger breach of the IT Security Policy!!!
    Since you bridging your Corporate Network to the Interflex.
    Yes I know it's in a "isolated" VM but nothing is every fully "isolated" except for using an air gap.

So you are using Corporate assets for personal use which is prob another breach of both IT & HR policies.
    HI Guys

Im looking to set up a VM on my laptop that will use the wireless network card to connect to the net and have my laptop use the LAN. Can anyone tell me if this is possible before I go spending a few hours trying to figure it out.

I have some software that I want to run that might infringe on my companies IT policy so Im afraid they are going to ask me to remove it from my laptop. Its a betfair trading app so Im looking to use my iphone as a personal hotspot and have the VM connect to the net through that so I can get pricing information during the day but have the rest of my laptop use the internal network.

So is it possible with VM's or am I going about this arseways?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

IT departments nightmare right there! :)

This is why we don't give you admin rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blindasfcuk

Our IT policy allows personal usage but up to a point but its the level of usage Im concerned about so with the application constantly updating betfair pricing in real time for 3-4 hours a day. I would rather keep this traffic separate so that Im not asked to stop. So as long as im not clogging the network with data traffic I should be ok! I work with a lot of VMs and need to tether through my phone a lot when Im off site so i figure I should be able to combine these and not piss off the gatekeepers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

The truth is, it's not going to clog up any sort of decent network.

Most policies say gambling sites/software are a no no.. because it means you're looking at those and not doing work.

Its very unlikely they're going to see any sort of high network usage on your computer from a bet fair website, or application.

If your IT people are using something like SCCM, they'll be able to see what you've installed on your machine and may even get a report when an application they flagged as disallowed is installed.

My advice, do your betting on your phone.

Advertisement