Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Work..UCD or Trinity or DIT?

Options
  • 17-04-2013 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I'm in three minds about doing social work in Dublin. Just wondering if anyone has done either the social care course in DIT, the Social Science course in UCD or the Social Work course in Trinity? I know DIT and UCD course have to be followed by a masters but I hear a masters is almost impossible to get into? But I haven't considered Trinity at all until today. I'm only in leaving cert so just tryna way up my options... does anyone have any experience in any of these courses? Or any advise on what's the better course? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Roberta88

Hi, I'm in three minds about doing social work in Dublin. Just wondering if anyone has done either the social care course in DIT, the Social Science course in UCD or the Social Work course in Trinity? I know DIT and UCD course have to be followed by a masters but I hear a masters is almost impossible to get into? But I haven't considered Trinity at all until today. I'm only in leaving cert so just tryna way up my options... does anyone have any experience in any of these courses? Or any advise on what's the better course? :)

Hey best advice I can give is go for Ucd because of you do the prep work for the interview for the masters in social work you will get in because they leave a good amoun of places for their own thats if u want to get into social work also it's not that hard I done my undergrad in social care in tallaght part time an took a year out to concentrate on preparing for the interview for m masters and I got in this year with may social work masters you practically have to apply twice it's not always the case because I got into galway on the first try although I got into Ucd on the second so all depends what u want and how willing you are to put the work in,although if u want to get into social work would u not apply for the undergrad in social work in trinity,

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Hi Caroline,

I did my undergrad in UCD, followed by the Masters in UCD, so I'm unfamiliar with DIT and Trinity's requirements and courses.

Whichever course you choose to do, please make sure you complete Social Policy modules, as this is what the Master's is looking for. (if you plan on doing Social Work).

The undergrad in UCD was awesome, loved it. Masters was also awesome. Lots of work, but totally worth it in the end. If you have any specific questions, Il do my best to answer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Caroline1227

Roberta88 wrote: »
    Hey best advice I can give is go for Ucd because of you do the prep work for the interview for the masters in social work you will get in because they leave a good amoun of places for their own thats if u want to get into social work also it's not that hard I done my undergrad in social care in tallaght part time an took a year out to concentrate on preparing for the interview for m masters and I got in this year with may social work masters you practically have to apply twice it's not always the case because I got into galway on the first try although I got into Ucd on the second so all depends what u want and how willing you are to put the work in,although if u want to get into social work would u not apply for the undergrad in social work in trinity,

Okay thanks for the feedback! UCD was my top choice! Just not too sure about trinity as it has a 'posh' reputation...but I'm sure it is a lovely college! Just not sure I'd fit into it, and the main reason is because the points are a lot higher than UCD and DIT, thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Caroline1227

triseke wrote: »
    Hi Caroline,

I did my undergrad in UCD, followed by the Masters in UCD, so I'm unfamiliar with DIT and Trinity's requirements and courses.

Whichever course you choose to do, please make sure you complete Social Policy modules, as this is what the Master's is looking for. (if you plan on doing Social Work).

The undergrad in UCD was awesome, loved it. Masters was also awesome. Lots of work, but totally worth it in the end. If you have any specific questions, Il do my best to answer them.
    Okay thanks a million :) Getting an inside opinion reply helps! I have UCD down first anyways but still wasn't to sure so thanks for the help!

Advertisement