Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Burner: Open Vented or Closed System

Options
  • 17-04-2013 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I'm considering installing a log burner as the primary means of heating our house.

It'll be heating about 25 mixes rads in a house approx 5400sq ft.

Plumber A told me that the burner MUST be plumbed into a open vented system.

Plumber B told me that a sealed/closed system is fine with the correct safety valves.

I'm thoroghly confused at this stage. I'm not putting in a buffer tank at this time as I simply can't afford it this year but will do it next year.

What is the general rule of thumb with these burners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Solid fuels = open system is the usual situation.

However there are buners out there specifically designed to be connected to sealed system with certain valves and safety features, dont know much about them and im unsure if i would fit one myself as its getting into dodgy territory. Others may have knowledge on issues with these regarding irish building regs or insurance issues.

Personally i would fit an open system,

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭310

system link ,,, heat genie,,,Heat Genie

The Solution to the most difficult of Solid Fuel Installations

Advertisement