Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Book on Geography/Geology

• 17-04-2013 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking to get a book on the geology of Ireland (it doesn't have to be Ireland either). Can anyone recommend a good book, looking to get it as a present for someone.as they have always had an interest in this topic but never decided to get a book on it.

Thanks
    Ron

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Are you looking for popular science or something more serious?

Richard Fortey's The Earth is a popular history of the geological history of the planet. He is a very good writing, though I will admit that I never actually finished it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

A short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson is very good. 3/4 of the book is essentially geology and the big debates in geology (age of the earth determinations etc...). I would also say the Geology of Ireland by Holland, it's a little dry and more for an academic audience but otherwise a good book. There's an older one also called the Review of the geology of Ireland, by J.K. Charlesworth, it's actually very good, it's an old book printed back in the 1950s but as geology was still in that Victorian-Edwardian "gentleman's pursuit" it's written almost like a novel, very easy to understand and kind of a classic (albeit not really taught anymore to undergrads but still good craic to read).

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Thanks for the replies. The person receiving this book has only a general interest . So something not so academic based would be best suited at the moment.
    Would this book be any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Thanks for the replies. The person receiving this book has only a general interest . So something not so academic based would be best suited at the moment.
    Would this book be any good?

That's Griffith's book, as in the first actual formal publication on the geology of Ireland. It's good in the sense it's a primary historical perspective on geology as in it'd be like reading something from Lyell but I don't think I'd recommend it for someone with only a general interest in geology as it'd be too heavy (i.e. it's the kind of book you'd buy if studying the history of science or for a retired geologist). Probably better off sticking with the Richard Fortey or Bill Bryson side of things given what you'd just described.

Advertisement