Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap night out at the Abbey theatre

Options
  • 17-04-2013 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

New show in the Abbey - Drum Belly - some good reviews. I haven't seen it myself so cant be held responsible but have the seats booked before all you bargain hounds.

10 euro on Mon, Tue and Wed nights for any seat in the house. Can't be bad for a cheap cultural night out - is that an oxymoron I see before me:eek:

http://http://www.abbeytheatre.ie/whats_on/performances/drum-belly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

www.abbeytheatre.ie/wh...ces/drum-belly

This is a great offer, thanks OP, tickets to the Abbey are usually between €25 and €35 and this is getting good reviews. It's probably not selling as well as hoped!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

Thanks OP, I'm happy to give that a go for a tenner. Tickets bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

Went to see this yesterday evening. An excellent piece of theatre. Thoroughly recommended. Quite bloody and violent so not for the squeamish. Smacks of Tarantino. Best value entertainment around for only a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

MadamX wrote: »
    Went to see this yesterday evening. An excellent piece of theatre. Thoroughly recommended. Quite bloody and violent so not for the squeamish. Smacks of Tarantino. Best value entertainment around for only a tenner.

+1

Really enjoyed it, great writing and the cast were teriffic.

As you say, it's edgier than what you might traditionally expect from the Abbey, which is quite refreshing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

Cheers OP, great offer. Went with the other half tonight and really really enjoyed it. Quite gruesome and violet with plenty of swearing... highly recommended!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Thanks to the OP. Went along last night and have to echo sentiments above. Great value entertainment for a tenner, highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    Thanks to the OP. Went along last night and have to echo sentiments above. Great value entertainment for a tenner, highly recommended.

Coud you tell me what time did it finished up at??

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Great offer I am getting error message though....the selected seats could not be reserved....tried a few

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

gmisk wrote: »
    Great offer I am getting error message though....the selected seats could not be reserved....tried a few

That happened to me last week. I think its an issue with their server. It worked a few hours later so try again in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah cheers for that!
    I could just pop over to them its only round the corner....I presume they would be able to do it in the box office?

• Advertisement

ccull123 wrote: »
    Coud you tell me what time did it finished up at??

We were out the door just after 9.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So you just choose any of the tenner options when it is there? But they still give you an option to pay more? :confused:

So you just choose any of the tenner options when it is there? But they still give you an option to pay more? :confused:

Yeah it seems quite a basic website. Just choose the seat you want and then the tenner option. I did have to do a bit of to-ing and fro-ing to get mine sorted, but all seats should be available for that price (mine had premium on them and were the middle of row K).

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

clevtrev wrote: »
    New show in the Abbey - Drum Belly - some good reviews. I haven't seen it myself so cant be held responsible but have the seats booked before all you bargain hounds.

10 euro on Mon, Tue and Wed nights for any seat in the house. Can't be bad for a cheap cultural night out - is that an oxymoron I see before me:eek:

http://http://www.abbeytheatre.ie/whats_on/performances/drum-belly

even for premium seats?!

Lunaarli wrote: »
    even for premium seats?!

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    Yes

Wow, how cheap. Def booking some tickets. Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭elmicko

I'm a lurker; I never post but I have to on this occasion. I saw this play tonight and it is pure quality. I got the premium seats for 10 quid. Thanks OP. I can't recommend this enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

I too have to thank the OP. Got premium tickets for tonight for the tenner deal. Cracking show, great acting and I agree with the earlier poster - edgier than you'd expect. Will be passing this show along to friends.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just booked tickets thanks! Looks great. Didn't know where to sit with all this choice, never been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

I cant really understand all the empty seats at this - maybe its the venue. I suppose the play is not typical fare for the abbey and the core supporters of the abbey probably wouldnt be interested in the play.

I thought it was very innovative in its use of set / props / music etc.

Hopefully it will fill up for the last few weeks so the producers dont loose their shirts although I would say they already have....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

clevtrev wrote: »
    I cant really understand all the empty seats at this - maybe its the venue. I suppose the play is not typical fare for the abbey and the core supporters of the abbey probably wouldnt be interested in the play.

I think that could be the crux of it tbh.

It's the kinda production that might find a more natural home among a younger demographic, but I'm not sure the show was marketed through channels that'd reach those particular folks. I went again last night with a pal and the audience were predominantly 20's - 40's, but I'd wager word of mouth had as much to do with that as any advertising from the Abbey itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

i also saw this play. I really enjoyed it. very unabbey like but its well worth attending. It has an edge to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Thanks for the tip, picked some up for next week, good bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭terencemc

Great play, 9/10...Tarantino-esque...but above all great bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah went last night, really entertaining play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Went to this last night as well, really enjoyed it, a bargain for €10, thanks OP!

Anyone know if this is a regular thing they do in the abbey or was it just for this play?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

I've never seen the Abbey do this before, probably wasn't selling too well, wouldn't attract a normal Abbey audience I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Anyone know if this is a regular thing they do in the abbey or was it just for this play?

I've heard that it's going to be a regular thing, independent of the type of play being shown or crowds being drawn.

Not 100% on that though..

Advertisement