Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expansion tank query

Options
  • 17-04-2013 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Pretext: I'm ignorant to all things plumbing so excuse me if my question is daft but I have to ask just to save my sanity.

I get it that when the water in our central heating system heats up it expands and goes into the expansion tank. I get it that there is an overflow from the expansion tank in case it overfills. But, my question is: Why is there an 'in' pipe (from the mains?) going into the expansion tank? Occasionally i see the overflow dripping when I'm in the garden and so I go into the loft and scoop a few jugs of water from the expansion tank and this dripping stops. Then, after a week or so it starts again presumably because the 'in' pipe (as I wonderfully call it!) fills the expansion tank back up but, from what I can see through that murky water in the tank it's not as if it's recycling it back through the heating system.

Am I making sense or am I making an eejit out of myself? I have the horrible feeling it's the latter!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Knowledge is no load to carry, and there is no such thing as a stupid question only a stupid person who is afraid to ask a question.

a heating system is designed to allow for expansion when the Water heats as you already know. To allow for the expansion you have to have extra Water in the system which is provided by the header tank.
    The filler pipe is to make sure that the header tank is full at all times to provide the Water to the heating system. As if it went Dry is could lead to the Water Boiling and being very dangerous. There are of course other controls on the system to prevent this happening but there is no point in confusing you any further. What I outlined is the basics of a system.

In your case it sounds as if your Ball Valve may need replacing which will stop it filling unnecessarily.
    I hope it's a little clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Yes, thanks for the response, I 'discovered' a third pipe which does recycle the water back into the system, but I rushed to ask my question before investigating fully!! Yes, further reading suggests (nearly every time!) that it is the ball float valve that may be at fault.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Danpad wrote: »
    Yes, thanks for the response, I 'discovered' a third pipe which does recycle the water back into the system, but I rushed to ask my question before investigating fully!! Yes, further reading suggests (nearly every time!) that it is the ball float valve that may be at fault.

Thanks again.

If your ballcock is letting water into your header tank it usually indicates a leak on your system. Not sure what this third pipe is you're on about. No water should be recycling in your tank though

Advertisement