Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to College and Getting a Grant - Already have a Degree and a Masters

Options
  • 17-04-2013 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You'll have to pay full fees if you already have a degree. Also you won't get much of a grant if you're working part time. And you will loose JSA as you're not seeking a job if you're in college.

The government is changing things as they only want to pay for your frist degree and nothing after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

GarIT wrote: »
    You'll have to pay full fees if you already have a degree. Also you won't get much of a grant if you're working part time. And you will loose JSA as you're not seeking a job if you're in college.

The government is changing things as they only want to pay for your frist degree and nothing after that.

^^^^ this as far as I know. A friend of mine went back last year absolute gets NOTHING from state. They also stopped her job seekers to €0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Aces018

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Aces018 wrote: »

If you have already gotten a grant for your first degree you will not get one for any other degrees. This includes payment of fees.

• Advertisement

you may be able to get back to education allowance. I am not 100% on that though as you are only on casual jobseekers.

This allows you 188 per week during the college year. It doesn't pay your fees however.

Full fees start at around 7,500 and go up from there depending on what price the college put on the course. Most hons bachelor degrees would would be around the 7500, but a phd could be 10 to 30 thousand (per year).

At the moment the government subsidises your first degree. You pay 3,000 (in 2013) and they pay the rest irrelevant of any grant. In the late 2011 or early 2012 the gov decided that they will only subsidise the fees for your first degree only.

If you get the grant they pay all your fees, I have heard of one case where someone was awarded a grant for a second degree where their fees of 7500 were paid by the grant.

EDIT: If your unemployed when you start you should get BTEA equal to the ammount of social welfare payments you were getting when you started.

the 2,500 euro is a student contribution to the full amount. Most would cost circa 7,500 euro if you cannot avail of government payment, which you cannot.

The top up at the start of the year on BTEA is gone since the last budget.

You can't get a grant and BTEA. Its either or. If you are awarded a 100% grant they will pay 100% of your fees (its capped though) and then pay you a monthly grant.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

I don't want to come across as rude because I'm really not trying to be, but have you thought about working for a few years in your field and then going back once you have saved some money?

The government have paid for your first degree (as they did mine) and I don't think we can expect them to pay for another one each time you feel you want to study more. Regarding hibernia, that's very expensive as well. I would be nearly sure its over €7k. And while it is a 'part time' course, it is extremely intense and requires a lot of work experience that you don't get paid for.

Best of luck in what ever you decide to do.

In a nutshell, yes.

It would be 7.5k unless you get a grant and they pay your fees. Its less likely you will get it for a postgrad but its possible.

What you can't get is the subsidised fees. You can get the SUSI grant but it appears to be more difficult to get for a postgrad. Your right about how the fees are paid and even if they pay up to the cap for your fers you will still get a monthly grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi All,

One of the conditions of a student being found eligible to receive a grant is he/she must be progressing his/her education.

A student cannot receive funding for a level of course they have already previously completed.

I hope this helps clear things up.

If anyone has any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me directly via PM or alternatively myself and my colleagues can be contacted on Facebook and Twitter via the following links:

http://www.facebook.com/susisupport

https://twitter.com/Susihelpdesk

Kind regards,

Robbie
    SuSi Support

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would SERIOUSLY look at the job prospects in teaching before committing a large amount of money to fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

If you study part time, my experience in checking has found that the fees are usually cheaper than studying full time and you can claim tax back on your fees also (up to 20%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

As far as I know if you move up a level on the FETAC scale you can still qualify for the grant. So if you got a grant for your level 8 you could get one for a level 9 now. But you have said you have a masters already so you'd only get the grant if you do a PhD. And even with a grant a PhD ain't cheap. Source; I'm a broke as **** PhD student.

• Advertisement

Advertisement