Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'This track relates to the previous track in a rather interesting way thread!!

Options
  • 17-04-2013 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

A similar thread to the successful music thread running at the minute but with a few restrictions..
    1) Lets try not match based solely on word matching..investigate the previous post and find a interesting link to the video you wish to post.Sometimes this may be nesscary but hopefully not to often.
    2) Try to post a video that we may not have seen have before even if the band might be familiar and don't be afraid to post links or further information about the band if they are below the radar.We will all benefit by doing this and discover great new music.
    3) Explain the link..assume nothing

4) Mod Edit: You have to wait until 10 other posters have posted before you can contribute again.

OK lets kick it off and see how it goes.

This a cover of the Pixies 'Where is my Mind' by L.A trio UNA.

This is their Latest EP and more info about them for anyone interested.

http://soundcloudmusicreviews.com/the-music-of-una-the-laughing-man-ep/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bowie's surprisingly good cover of "Cactus", also off Surfer Rosa
    (on his following album he absolutely murdered Jonathon Richman's "Pablo Picasso")

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I'm not sure the added restrictions makes it better, I kind of liked the loose 'relates to in some way' of the other thread, allows for a bit more freedom.

Also 'interesting' is kind of subjective. e.g. the link of someone playing in two different bands might seem to have a bit more substance than just word-play, but to me, those links weren't really that interesting. Often the two songs had nothing in common, and the fact that someone played on both records was more of a piece of historical trivia.

Bowie & the Pixies seem a long way from the stuff I'm listening to these days. I can't think of an interesting link to the stuff I'm excited about right now, so I think I'd be less inclined to post. Someone who was a big fan of them might have a number of ways to go with it, but for someone who isn't, there's not much to latch on to.

So I say lose the 'interesting' restriction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

padraig_f wrote: »
    I'm not sure the added restrictions makes it better, I kind of liked the loose 'relates to in some way' of the other thread, allows for a bit more freedom.

Also 'interesting' is kind of subjective. e.g. the link of someone playing in two different bands might seem to have a bit more substance than just word-play, but to me, those links weren't really that interesting. Often the two songs had nothing in common, and the fact that someone played on both records was more of a piece of historical trivia.

Bowie & the Pixies seem a long way from the stuff I'm listening to these days. I can't think of an interesting link to the stuff I'm excited about right now, so I think I'd be less inclined to post. Someone who was a big fan of them might have a number of ways to go with it, but for someone who isn't, there's not much to latch on to.

So I say lose the 'interesting' restriction :)

The Thread is live now and it is what is. Prehaps interesting was the wrong word to use in the title.However I think the essence of the 'restrictions' are still valid and are still loose enough if required.I wont hunt you down and murder your family is the link is not 'interesting enough':)

'to me, those links weren't really that interesting'.

Ok well as you say interesting is subjective..I found both videos interesting so..?
    Loyatemu thanks for your contribution!
    Can we please keep the thread free of dissenting comment,use indie chitter/chatter for feedback.

Now back to the music..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

David Bowies son Duncan directed the acclaimed film 'The Moon'. Clint Mansell provided the score for that film.As we all know Clint was in the legendery 80's alt act PWEI and they reformed in 2011 without Clint though.

The single 'Disguise' was featured as Radio 6 Breakfast Show 'Single of the Week' and an instrumental 'Back To Business' was used on Top Gear.
    Link QED

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Soap&Skins cover of Clint Mansells Breakdown (from Requiem for a Dream) has been a staple of her live set for the past few years (a must see imo).

Sugarbread off her most recent EP is probably the closest she's come to matching the intensity of when she performs that piece of music.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement