Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

29 and being gay in Dublin

Options
  • 17-04-2013 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm aged 29 and have only in the last few months admitted to myself that I am gay (which I am fine about). I am not out. I lived in a small village down the country and had to get out of there as everybody knows everybody elses business. So I moved to Dublin 6, so I could "explore my sexuality and be comfortable in my own skin.

The reason I moved to Dublin was I thought it would be easy to make gay friends etc. But I am struggling big time. I have used one or 2 online sites to try meet guys but they all seem to want sex meets.

is there any other lads in a similar position? Any advice will be appreciated. Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

I was in a similar situation to you. My recommendations would be

Look at DIGS (Dublin gay group on meetup.com). They are having an under 30s meetup soonish.

Join an activity club like Wet and Wild, Out and About, Front Runners, Gloria etc. Think these are stickied on here.

I completely get where you coming from. When you finish college and don't have an LGBT soc to help. At the least with groups you don't have the problem that every guy you talk to just thinks you're trying to chat them up :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cx85

Two points just to add to the above , sometimes just expanding your circle of friends in general can bring more gay friends into the fold.

Also, this might sound odd but are you openly gay in your workplace / college wherever? I was working with another gay for 6 months , neither of us knew the other one was gay until it sort of came up one day. Anyhoo she is a good friend now , and I know her friends now.

Stay positive, you are only out a few months and you probably already know a few gay people you just don’t know it yet 

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

chargerman wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm aged 29 and have only in the last few months admitted to myself that I am gay (which I am fine about). I am not out. I lived in a small village down the country and had to get out of there as everybody knows everybody elses business. So I moved to Dublin 6, so I could "explore my sexuality and be comfortable in my own skin.

The reason I moved to Dublin was I thought it would be easy to make gay friends etc. But I am struggling big time. I have used one or 2 online sites to try meet guys but they all seem to want sex meets.

is there any other lads in a similar position? Any advice will be appreciated. Cheers

Not everyone though.
    I;ve only been out about 14 months and I've signed up to various gay social sites, in all that time I've met about a handful of people who were genuinely interested in chatting whilst genuinely not interested in sex meet ups.

the "normal" guys are few and far between but they are there, and everybody knows your pain only too well!

also it may be a hollow point, but Dublin is a great place to be if you're gay, I live in Mayo and can go no where and do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

OP have to say im in EXACTLy your situation, moved from a small town in ireland to one of the cities, cant manage to get into the gay thing on my own at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Hmm, just wondering how many other people are? Could organize something here for a coffee or some pints?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

First it was the 26 year olds, now it's the 29 year olds, or are they just the 26 years olds from 3 years ago back complaining again? :D

Every age group has people in them that feel like they don't belong, are inexperienced or whatever. That's why there are the Boards meet-ups, to help everyone get out there and find new friends and get them out of the ruts they feel they are in. I would suggest at the very least that anyone on this thread, or any other where they say they are feeling lonely or wanting to enhance their gay lives, start out by going to one of the Boards meet ups and see how much of a difference even going once can make. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paddylast24

Have to agree there, the boards meet ups are unreal. Only went to one but it, with a combination of other things, has made things a lot easier. I wouldn't have been able to go into a gay club by myself but being with the others made all the difference. Feel so much more comfortable in myself after going to the meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cnn27

I'm 27 in Dublin, and don't know any gay people here so if there's any meet-up being organized, that would be great!

Advertisement