Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Skyrim more challenging

Options
  • 16-04-2013 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

I had been finding the game a tad easy, so I decided to change it and set personal limits.

For example, once out of Helgen and at Riverwood I set difficulty to master. Then I take all possessions and toss them in the river, leaving only rags to wear. The local blacksmith helps you make a hide helmet and iron dagger. Since wooden bows cannot be made, I allow myself to keep one from the Helgen scene.

From that point forward, I can only use what I make, no purchasing raw materials. If I want armour, I have to go out, kill animal for hide. I allow myself to collect magic items, but only for disenchanting purposes. No hoarding of items for sale.

I must say it has enriched gameplay. I find I am much more cautious in my use of materials and the game is more challenging. I never liked the way you could have so many weapons and armour available so quickly. Now, I must work for them, it all happens incrementally. Also, gold is harder to come by, because you can't sell collected weapons, etc.

Anyone try something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The "one death and the game is over" is something I've seen a couple of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

The "one death and the game is over" is something I've seen a couple of times.

emm, too hard... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

There was a blog someone linked to on the Skyrim thread in the main forum. It was a guy who instead of playing through the game normally, doing quests etc, played as if he was just a normal NPC. The only weapons and armor he had was whatever he found and he earned money selling potions he made. The absolute kicker for me though is he walked everywhere - no running, sprinting or fast travel. I think he ended up being killed by a bear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Adyx wrote: »
    There was a blog someone linked to on the Skyrim thread in the main forum. It was a guy who instead of playing through the game normally, doing quests etc, played as if he was just a normal NPC. The only weapons and armor he had was whatever he found and he earned money selling potions he made. The absolute kicker for me though is he walked everywhere - no running, sprinting or fast travel. I think he ended up being killed by a bear.

I tried banning fast travel, but the map is too big. I think they dropped the ball when it came to horses. Red Dead Redemption nailed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The Skyrim Survivor series of mods are worth a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement