Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Process - how do you pronounce it?

Options
  • 16-04-2013 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭

In British English it's pro-cess. In American English it's prah/praw-cess. Though, in Ireland, it can go either way as you often hear both. It's always been prah/praw-cess for me. Being a computer nerd as of the age of 9, the word processor (prah/praw-cessor) was used quite a lot by my friends and I.

Process - how do you pronounce it? 1 vote

Prah/Praw-cess
    0%
    Pro-cess
    100%
    DECEiFER 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

You're missing "both" / Atari Jaguar in your poll!

I say "pro-cess" for the noun ("this process needs to be changed") and "prah-cess" for the verb ("the computer processed a million records").
    Come to think of it, record is another word I pronounce differently depending on whether it's a noun (rec-ord) or verb (re-cord).

There are a good few examples of words being stressed differently in English depending their role in a particular sentence:
    Present
    Address
    Wind
    Bow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Pro-cess
    Yakuza wrote: »
    You're missing "both" / Atari Jaguar in your poll!

I say "pro-cess" for the noun ("this process needs to be changed") and "prah-cess" for the verb ("the computer processed a million records").
    Come to think of it, record is another word I pronounce differently depending on whether it's a noun (rec-ord) or verb (re-cord).

There are a good few examples of words being stressed differently in English depending their role in a particular sentence:
    Present
    Address
    Wind
    Bow
    Fair point but I can't do anything about it now. My time to edit the post is expired.

Elsewhere, in the case of "process," it's generally one or the other across both the noun and verb. I rarely hear an English accent pronounce "prah-cess." It's more likely to hear an American accent say "pro-cess" but then it could actually be Canadian as they're likely to go with the British pronunciation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pro-cess, I only ever hear Prah/Praw-cess on TV.

Pro-cess
    Pro-cess, I only ever hear Prah/Praw-cess on TV.
    Really? It's very common in Ireland to hear it either way with people of all ages. Maybe it's the area I'm in, I don't know.

I find that "pro-cess" sounds natural to an English accent. Most of our accents, apart from the extremely well-to-do posh accents that have an English twang, sound more natural with "prah-cess." At least, that's my opinion. It's like hearing a Canadian say "pro-cess." It just doesn't suit their accents at all. However, any American will use "prah-cess," with few exceptions, so I take it that you don't know anyone in the U.S because it's definitely not just something you'd hear on the TV? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nope, don't know any Americans. I can imagine it varies, I don't know everybody or hear most people I do know even say process. :pac:

• Advertisement

Pro-cess
    Nope, don't know any Americans. I can imagine it varies, I don't know everybody or hear most people I do know even say process. :pac:
    I'm really not making it up when I say that it does vary in Ireland. Does it lean in one particular direction? That's why I started this thread, after not being able to find one already about "process," to attempt to gauge a favorite of the two.

Advertisement