Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your setup like? (at work and at home)

Options
  • 16-04-2013 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Work
    We use Windows 7 Enterprise on our laptops and desktops. Each member of my team has a laptop and a desktop. Desktops are useful for remoting from as I hate losing my SSH sessions when moving around.

Most of our systems are Red Hat Enterprise/Windows Server 2003 with the occasional Solaris server which we are migrating from (to RedHat).

Home
    I no longer have a laptop. I use an iPad for most things these days and it works surprisingly well, easy to carry around, etc. I have a FreeBSD server with OVH (ovh.ie) which I maintain. I use it for IRC, run an IRC server on there, along with mail, apache, and so on.

When I move into a house I will build a beast of a desktop and get a huge 30 inch LCD monitor.

So what is your setup like? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Work: Lubuntu 12.04. Encrypted to the max, baby! (wont boot without a USB key containing the decryption key - I mostly did this for fun. It was good learning.)

Home:
    Mythbuntu on a self-built HTPC hooked up to the TV.
    Xubuntu 10.04 on an *ancient* laptop that I bought second hand for 50 euro. Perfect for browsing and what not.
    Lubuntu 12.04 self-built desktop upstairs in the youngfella's room (Q6600, 4G ram, 3 hard drives in a raid 5 array) doubles as my work from home computer when he's in school.

Yes, I am fully linux'd. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Home PC - Windows 8, purely for gaming reasons. I use Windows XP on this in a virtual machine for college work etc.

Laptop - got two laptops, one old one with Xubuntu 12.04 on it for browsing and email. Other has Linux Mint with Unity desktop (strange maybe, but i like the Unity interface. I like the way it reduces clutter on the desktop).

Family home computer - old desktop with Xubuntu 12.04 on it. Got Wine on this for some basic Windows gaming such as World of Warcraft.

Also looking to get a tablet to replace my old laptop. Thinking of getting a Nexus 10, might sell one of my laptops to fund this.

Slowly changing over to Linux as much as I can. If there was support for more games through Linux Steam, I'd be completely Linux-ified by now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Im in the process of moving from the Czech Republic to Ireland, and for the next 3 months Im in a flat temporarily but will hopefully be moving into a house where I can set up my network again properly.

I work as a pen tester and security researcher so surprise surprise I have numerous machines, most of which are now in storage.

At the moment I just have my laptop, a Lenovo x220 running Fedora 17 but on it I have a number of VMs.

In work we have the usual mix of RHEL, Windows, and a Sun Solaris monstrosity. My intern uses Ubuntu on her machine. I also have an Arduino and a Raspberry Pi on my desk for various projects.

Once I am properly installed home wise, I want to build a beast of a rig for gaming and VMs. Now that steam is on Linux, I want to get back into a bit of gaming, plus I need power for virtualisation. At home, everything is Linux, mostly Fedora apart from my girlfriends gaming rig which is XP.

Also, looking to get a tablet, probably a Kindle Fire HD, for reading comics, reference books and magazines.

Edit: Btw everything with a GUI runs KDE.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

WORK:

I am the de facto GoTo guy for four (soon to be five) Red Hat servers. Purely by virtue of the fact I can use crontab and know the difference between "su" and "su -".

HOME:

Ubuntu on the PC connected to the tv running xbmc. Currently getting a Raspberry Pi working to replace it. Netbook running Lubuntu, main laptop back to Windows purely for the fact I have to use iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Work - One Arch Linux i7 Desktop - 16GB ram - One Windows 7 Core2duo (Outlook and visual studio) - 6GB ram - Synergy between. One Arch Linux i7 Thinkpad - 12GB ram

Home - Core 2 Quad core - 4GB, Hackintosh - Mountain Lion. Although my work laptop is my main machine at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Either as an extension of this thread or as a new thread we should post pictures of our workspaces / desk / where we do our computing.

Note to self: tidy desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

syklops wrote: »
    Either as an extension of this thread or as a new thread we should post pictures of our workspaces / desk / where we do our computing.

Note to self: tidy desk.

Great idea. I took this earlier today. I'll take a better one once I clean up the desk so I can show more of my cubicle. :)

Not Working:

Home:
    Netbook - Dual Boot with Crunchbang & Kali
    Macbook Pro - Dual Boot with OSX10.8 & Kubuntu 12.10
    Self Built Desktop - 3 OS's (sometimes more) - Kubuntu 12.10, OpenSuse 12.3 & FreeBSD 9.1 (All KDE)
    2 Headless Servers (One Normal Desktop and a HP Pavillion ML115) Both running Debian which provide services such as CCTV (Zoneminder), LEMP, Rosetta@home, Subsonic, openVPN, phpVirtualBox,KVM,Backup, etc, etc.

Another fully linux'd here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Work: windows everywhere :mad: and some VM running fedora where I can do it.
    Home: main laptop - fedora-18, another one: ubuntu and a raspberry pi running debian (uptime 65 days, owncloud, apache, ssh gate to the home network). Linux on everything except washing machine - it's not flashable :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

Have Fedora 17 on the desk at work with the VMPlayer to access XP as needed. Will probably start testing F18 in the next few weeks for roll-out.

Windows 7 at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Work: none

Home: Acer 5535 laptop dual booting Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit and Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 32 bit

HP Pavilliion DV5 laptop (broken useless screen) vga plugged into flatcreen monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse dual boot Linux Mint Debian Edition Cinnamon 64 bit and Ubuntu 12.04.2 32 bit.

A Raspberry Pi running Debian Wheezy / OpenELEC HDMI into tv.

my wife has a Versus 10.1" Android tablet.

A Freesat Foxsat HDR satellite pvr, Raydon modded firmware.

All networked.

I never use Windows now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Work : 2 x i3 running Ubuntu Studio 10.04 (only thing that works with my build of OSS.

3 x Mac Pro dual boot with Ubuntu 12.04 and our own distro version of Mint
    About 16gig RAM in each. Machines used for development, Video and music.
    Hoping to push this version out to maybe 200 machines next year.

1 x iMac dual boot currently trying different flavors of Linux

Been having problems with Mac EFI installing different OS' on different internal harddrives.

Home: Toshiba Netbook for me dad running Mint.
    MacMini G4 running XFCE can't remember the Kernel version! Use it for watching DVDs and playing with photos. (Gimp etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Work: Windows 7 - and while it is much better than windows XP it just isn't linux!

Home: A laptop with Linux Mint :) Nothing too complicated - but it works perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

work: n/a

home:

tosh laptop, with some version of Win which is never booted, uses PCLinuxOS 32 bit KDE

my PC has PCLinuxOS 32 bit, plus a 64 bit test install which will become the main OS shortly.
    Lots of VBox VMs for playing about

HTPC with PCLinuxOS, dual Sat card and DTT dongle ... presently using Kaffeine for live tv and video as I have not been satisfied with openelec last release - it failed to work properly with the DTT dongle. Have yet to try the newest release. The previous release worked fairly well. Openelec uses XBMC and I used TVheadend with it.

R-Pi as a Squeezebox server for audio distribution ..... using a separate wifi router for this .... for the Logitech Squeezebox Boom, Radio and other PCs.

Nearly a dozen or so other PCs in various states for playing about with different Linux distros .... most of them rather old gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

At work it's all xp machines.

At home we've a Win7 Sony vaio netbook for the wife,

I'm using a HP probook 4510s with Ubuntu 12.10 and I have an Amazon kindle fire, nice machine, still have to root it and put the play store on it.

Advertisement