Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice

Options
  • 16-04-2013 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I posted this in PI but someone suggested I repost it here. Ok bare with me this'll be a long one !
    I met a lovely lady at the end of last year and we got on great. Her husband had been a bit of a lazy fecker and also had been to thai massage parlours, so she ended the relationship. He stayed in the house but in another room while he waited to be made redundant. He said when he got his redundancy he'd find a place and move out. I knew this would happen and he found a place in the new year. I've been staying the odd night and have been supporting her while she went to the hospital for some medical tests.

Anyway her ex has been told his redundancy payment is going to be a hell of a lot less than they said originally due to him not being taxed correctly, but that's not the problem. She has been told the SWO won't pay her any form of benefit, he has to support her 'until every penny of redundancy has dried up' (CWO's words) Now she is unable to work due to medical reasons, she has 4 children (7 boy,10 girl,18 boy,22 boy) and has to pay rent etc. She is now saying she's going to have to have him move back in just because she can't afford to pay the bills on her own.

Obviously this creates problems for me as I can't really carry on our relationship. I am also on disabilty and as they are still married - but separated, I don't think I could live with her and claim for us both as a couple. Maybe someone can clarify ? I'm renting a room so there's no way she can live with me (we'd need at least 4 bedrooms as the girl needs her own room)

The things I'd like to know is was the CWO right telling them she can't get benefit ? (he can get dole even though he has been paid redundancy) the rent officer told her to apply for rent allowance, so why is the CWO saying she won't get it ? she's sent off the medical card forms as well as disability allowance. Is there any way we can claim as a couple even though she's still married ?

We've done so much crying and soul searching the last couple of days it's starting to take it's toll. I want to carry on our relationship, but she says it can't happen. She said she's going to have to have him move back in which she doesn't want. So anyone give us any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Hi

Did he get redundancy and if he did - did she get half and is there proof of this.
    you can claim for her and the kids on your disability allowance claim until hers comes through - you would be paid faster - depending on where you are living you go to the local Cwo and they will top you up to the family rate.
    As you are aware disability allowance is hard to get so it could take a year or so before she gets paid.
    Also are you getting rent allowance - if so get a bigger house for all of her as a family - problem solved.
    Hope that answers someof your questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

Hi maryk123, thanks for your reply. The thing is I've applied for disabilty and I'm waiting to hear the result of my claim. I'm getting SWA at the moment but been told to apply for Illness benefit. He's waiting to get his redundancy payment but should be in few weeks. He got some of it just before Xmas. I can't get rent allowance as I haven't been living here for 6 months, before living here I was with my ex partner and I didn't pay any rent/mortgage payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Well then she should apply for swa if she has applied for disability and maybe she can apply for rent allowance and when she is up and running you could join your payments together or if she qualifies go that route instead. Is she renting now or is she paying a mortgage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

She needs to sort out a separation agreement with her ex, including maintenance for the younger children, She then needs to assess if she wants to make a claim for one parent family payment (she cannot get this if you live with her) or Disability Allowance in her own right. She should go to Citizens Information who will advise her.

Advertisement