Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay per shower after your commute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

bbolger wrote: »
    Came across this today, might be of interest to some out there, not live yet though...

http://cityshower.launchrock.com/

I'm fortunate to have a shower in the office but can remember the days when I didn't.
    Interesting. I can imagine, this can only work in a city close environment. I do not have a shower in my place, it does not bother me at this stage anymore and I would not be in a position to do it a couple of km from my destination. The work places in this country are horribly under designed in terms of welfare facilities. However, I would appreciate lockers / change room more than a shower. I may end up getting a camper van some day and park it outside of my work place if I am stuck for space ;). That may be an expensive solution though :).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I get changed in a disabled toilet.

Yes, where I am, cycling to work is viewed as some form of disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    So is in my place. And it is because cycling is viewed as very dangerous activity. Should not be taken on public roads and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

In the last 2 organisations that I have been employed by showers were provide and I cycled to work inwould say 85-90% of the time.
    Prior to that I rarely if ever cycled as they were not provided.

Where I am working presently we will be moving to a new pilurpose built premises in a few years ago. There has been regular communication with staff regarding facilities.
    There will be an official bias toward incentivising staff to cycle to work.
    We have been promised plenty of bike spaces and showers. I have suggested lockers.
    Fwiw there will be more bike spaces than car spaces in the car park.
    The firm are also lobbying to have a Dublin Bike depot outside of the office block.
    Very progressive aspirations.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

ROK ON wrote: »
    In the last 2 organisations that I have been employed by showers were provide and I cycled to work inwould say 85-90% of the time.

Where I am working presently we will be moving to a new pilurpose built premises in a few years ago. There has been regular communication with staff regarding facilities.
    We have been promised plenty of bike spaces and showers. I have suggested lockers.
    The firm are also lobbying to have a Dublin Bike depot outside of the office block.

Sounds epic, where do we apply :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sending my CV onto you now. Do I need to attach a photo of me in lycra? No? Well I'll send one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I have a locker but that's no use if your stuff is wet. Drying space is very very important. Thankfully I get to treat the shower in my work place as my own personal space. So I just hang everything on the door as there is nowhere else appropriate. A bit of space to leave a cheap clothes rail would be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I get changed in a disabled toilet.

I also get the thing where i'm gonna be killed cycling home at night because cycling is soooo dangerous, whereas AFAIK statistics prove i'm safer cycling home than driving. (i'm sure someone here will tell me if i'm wrong).

Anyway just glad i have a nice warm shower to look forward to when i get to work :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Last year I cycled to work a couple of times a week, I joined the cheapest gym in Carlow so I could use a shower. I've not bothered with the cycling to work thing this year.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Zorba wrote: »
    I also get the thing where i'm gonna be killed cycling home at night because cycling is soooo dangerous, whereas AFAIK statistics prove i'm safer cycling home than driving. (i'm sure someone here will tell me if i'm wrong).

The place at work where I park my bike is right next to the staff smoking area, where it's inhabitants daily inform me about how dangerous cycling at night is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Good little App, though instead of gym deals like this etc there really should be a push to require all business employing more than say 6-8 people to legally be required to provide showers and secure storage facilities. One can dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Good little App, though instead of gym deals like this etc there really should be a push to require all business employing more than say 6-8 people to legally be required to provide showers and secure storage facilities. One can dream...

In fairness, a power shower, tray and surround would set you back all of €200, it does require adding a new fuse to the board usually and so some firms will need to hire someone to fit it, add in 16 sheets of plasterboard, 6m2 of tiles ... if it can't be done for under €500 you shouldn't be in charge of your company's budget ;)

Advertisement