Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS connection gone terrible since moving house

Options
  • 16-04-2013 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy,

Recently having a problem with my long serving NAS box, and feel it's a network issue.

So I moved into an apartment last month and got Magnet Broadband in, unfortunately a bit stuck as the area doesn't have fibre optic. However this is rather irrelevant considering the issue I'm having is internal.

So my setup is the following

Magnet Router - I believe a Thompson brand
    WIFI activated
    4 Ethernet ports connect to
    1) Sky for on demand
    2) Ethernet to my PC in spare room
    3) NAS

The fourth is free at present but I plan to use.

So I had been using powerline adaptors as a trial, they were cheap and they worked really well. However I noticed that there was an issue with the data transfer internally. When I try to open my NAS, it takes an eternity to open, and when I eventually get to a file ( we are talking 20 minutes for it to open), windows explorer just freezes and crashes.

This NAS worked fine in my old house, snappy speeds, like opening a HDD in your own PC.

So I ran ethernet cable, Cat5e, from the router to the spare room. I'm always a fan of cable over anything else. I don't think distance is the problem, as its about the same distance I had cable run previously in my old house.

Anyone have any ideas? I've a feeling it might be the router. It is a new router Magnet have taken onboard and it is the only thing I can think of that I can't actively change.

I'm already maxing out the ethernet ports. I want to run a few more Raspberry Pi's so have been tempted to get my own Router with more then 4 ports.

Any adivce or help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Bring the NAS to the Router, use a known working cable and retest

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Xantia wrote: »
    Bring the NAS to the Router, use a known working cable and retest

The NAS sits right beside the Router, less then a foot away cabled. Ethernet cable in it is definitly working alright.

I can see the NAS when I'm on my PC so it is being recognised, seems to be just a data speed issue, horrendously slow.

I guess a test I havn't tried is plugging a laptop into the router, and run some tests. That was everything is travelling less then a foot in distance.

However as I said my previous setup had a 25m Ethernet from my PC in my room to the router in another room ( remember old setup, old house) with the NAS right beside the router.

My new setup is ethernet from PC to router, about 16m, and NAS again right beside router.

I've tried pinging the NAS aswell and the response times seem pretty low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ethernet is fine up to 100m. Try another cable, could be faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭wandererz

Check the speed/duplex on the port.
    Its probably the duplex set to half.

I'll try another cable when I get home so.

And checking the port, that's not a bad idea. The internet connection itself is ADSL, but would assume the ethernet ports wouldnt be set to half?

Looking in the router though there is no settings to deal with ethernet ports.

Assume there is a way to check this via PC?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I had Magnet for quite a while (and was very happy with them, but have switched to UPC for faster tubes), but their router didn't do local DHCP - every IP assigned to it (wired or wireless) was from Magnet directly, so when I got a NAS it wouldn't work as it was trying to route through Magnet's own network rather than my own internal one.

I got my own Linksys router and attached that to my Magnet and everything else to the Linksys and Robert was my father's brother.

Shiminay wrote: »
    I had Magnet for quite a while (and was very happy with them, but have switched to UPC for faster tubes), but their router didn't do local DHCP - every IP assigned to it (wired or wireless) was from Magnet directly, so when I got a NAS it wouldn't work as it was trying to route through Magnet's own network rather than my own internal one.

I got my own Linksys router and attached that to my Magnet and everything else to the Linksys and Robert was my father's brother.

Hmm well according to Magnet its a new router that was only with them a week or so before I got it. I'm chuffed with Magnet at the moment in terms of service and speeds, but they have some unusual policies and practices alright : /

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Shiminay wrote: »

I had the same issues, I did the same and essential setup a LAN inside their MAN that they provide. Its a messy setup to give to customers, but easily fixed (by binning the equipment they supply for 1)

Cheers guys,

It's weird as I can see the NAS, I can select it and I can map it to a drive. I can go into the NAS via FTP or just normal windows, and I can see the folders and files. It is just horrendously slow, taking 20 minutes to get from selecting the NAS to the eventual end file, and then it just crashes : /

Why in gods name would they provide such a setup, sounds crazy.

Well I just fired a messaged to magnet via Twitter, a technical team lead was onto me in less then 20 mins via telephone, and we are going to look into the issue via email over the week.

Have to say impressed with Magnet big time, any issue I've had they have been right onto me to sort it sharpish and I'm getting good strong knowledgeable techs on the line.

Will give this a bang before I go splash cash on a new router.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,176 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The Magnet modems tended to be little more than bridges, with no routing capacity to speak of. As mentioned already, they don't give their own DHCP response, so the DHCP answer gives your internal devices public IPs. I suspect your traffic is being router out over the internet for what should go on your local network.

Spear wrote: »
    The Magnet modems tended to be little more than bridges, with no routing capacity to speak of. As mentioned already, they don't give their own DHCP response, so the DHCP answer gives your internal devices public IPs. I suspect your traffic is being router out over the internet for what should go on your local network.

Weird one alright. Got a callback from one of their tech team leads who indicated this is not the case, and it would be highly inefficent if this was the case.

He did acknowledge that previous routers did have poor capability however, but the new one should be keeping my internal traffic internal, rather then firing it outbound.

Is there a way I can check this?

I have an alternative router on hold via a second hand sale, want to give the tech guy a chance to troubleshoot as they have been pretty effective in issues I've had with the service so far, in restoring back to full capacity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,176 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Are the devices receiving private IP or public IPs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What IP is the NAS? Try giving it a static IP outside the DHCP pool assigned by the router. What are your ping times to it?

Will try the previous two suggestions when I get home, guy from Magnet mailed back this morning

I have run numerous line tests and did a factory reset of your router this morning…I cannot see any issues with your line whatsoever…

I have changed the DSL profile on your line that should go through this morning, can you monitor this evening and let me know?

Thanks

So the NAS is getting an inhouse IP, 192.168.1.xx

When I ping the NAS I see plenty of timeouts though. And I think there lies the problem. I have someone holding a decent second hand router that can take DRT so tbh have been thinking about picking that up.
    Pinging 192.168.1.78 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.78: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

I'm still having trouble with this.

Magnet cant assist any further, they are insisting all the equipment and setup is fine.

Any suggestions? Just short of buying a new router to try it out

New router on route, hopefully resolves the problem.

Advertisement