Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Position of rad

Options
  • 16-04-2013 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I'm getting a storage heater from a friend as I have just moved into a very old house. I know there are pros and cons to this typeof heating, but I have a question on its position.

I have a very small hallway at the bottom of the stairs which bridges the kitchen and living room. This hallway is always Freezing, as is the landing at the top of the stairs. The stairwell is fully enclosed with no banisters.

My question is, do I place the rad at the bottom of the stairs which hopefully would allow the heat to rise up to the landing. Or do do I place the rad on the landing where it would hear quicker and we would benefit from it more? There are doors to 3 bedrooms and a bathroom on the small landing.

Hope I'm making sense!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭b318isp

What are you trying to heat?

Putting the rad in the hall will heat there and convection will bring the warmth to the landing too.

It is a waste of energy to try and get halls/landing really warm. I'd advise keeping all the upstairs doors closed and taking the worst of the chill out of the hall/landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

b318isp wrote: »
    What are you trying to heat?

Putting the rad in the hall will heat there and convection will bring the warmth to the landing too.

It is a waste of energy to try and get halls/landing really warm. I'd advise keeping all the upstairs doors closed and taking the worst of the chill out of the hall/landing.

Thanks for the reply. I think the main thing I'm trying to achieve is to keep the uncomfortable chill out of the hall and landing. The house is known as one-and-a-half story, or dormer, so the ceiling in the landing is pitched with little insulation between the ceiling and roof tiles. This is probably adding to the chill but I plan to insulate the pitched ceiling to help keep heat in. I expect that this is the cause of the extremely cold hall and landing. The bedrooms aren't too difficult to heat and all windows are double glazed.

Advertisement