Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need help - colour mod a PS1 - SCPH-1002

Options
  • 16-04-2013 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭

After 30min of searching, I'm giving up :)

Anyone know a guide how to 'colour fix' a PAL PS1 (SCPH-1002) to display NTSC games in colour on a PAL TV?

I remember doing this mod before to an early PS1 'back in the day' but from what I remembered it was just a trace cut and jumper wire mod.

Any help would be great, going mad at the mo - starting to doubt myself :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    After 30min of searching, I'm giving up :)

Anyone know a guide how to 'colour fix' a PAL PS1 (SCPH-1002) to display NTSC games in colour on a PAL TV?

I remember doing this mod before to an early PS1 'back in the day' but from what I remembered it was just a trace cut and jumper wire mod.

Any help would be great, going mad at the mo - starting to doubt myself :D

Yeah I remember this alright, seems to differ according to model though?
    For PSX Models SCPH5502 and SCPH1002 a crystal needs to be installed in order
    to play NTSC games in colour on a PAL TV. This Conversion will not Convert the
    NTSC 60Hz to PAL 50Hz. So if flickering occurs adjust V-HOLD on older TV's.

http://www.angelfire.com/sk3/modzone/id_ntsctopal.htm

102pm41(2)_cf.jpg

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?37319-PlayStation-1-PSone-Colour-Correction-Modification

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Umm, now to try and find a QXO-1100 5V 4.433M Crystal Oscillator - seems you can't get them anymore :(

Umm, now to try and find a QXO-1100 5V 4.433M Crystal Oscillator - seems you can't get them anymore :(

Surely be easier to get another PS1, one that the wire mod works on?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Surely be easier to get another PS1, one that the wire mod works on?

True, but that wouldn't be a challenge :D Will keep looking for the oscillator

True, but that wouldn't be a challenge :D Will keep looking for the oscillator

Thats the spirit...you should post here more often! :)

• Advertisement

Had another look inside the SCART connector of the PSX-RGB->SCART cable I had, while the RGB cabling is there pin 16 doesn't have anything on it and from SCART Standards that needs to be 1~3V+ to tell the screen to accept an RGB signal. Ummm. Anyone else have a RGB->SCART cable for any other system which they can check if pin 16 on the SCART end is wired and being supplied power?

Just checked mine there, it has pin 16 connected to pin 8 via a 15 Ohm resister {I think - it has a brownish purple, then green then black colour code}

Just checked mine there, it has pin 16 connected to pin 8 via a 15 Ohm resister {I think - it has a brownish purple, then green then black colour code}

I know very little in terms of voltage reduction with resistors - I will check more cables to see what value they are using

I know very little in terms of voltage reduction with resistors - I will check more cables to see what value they are using

There's definitely a feed to that pin anyway, & its a decent RGB cable from consolegoods

There's definitely a feed to that pin anyway, & its a decent RGB cable from consolegoods

Fixed - turned out that the pin 16 (used to signal that your using a RGB source) wasn't connected at all! Good old cheapo eBay cable.
    I used the +5v that was already connected from the PS1 to pin 8 on the SCART connector (one which makes the TV switch to that SCART input) and connected it to pin 16 with a 220ohm I had and BAM! All sorted :) Crisp'n'clear RGB and colour for NTSC games!
    Cheers for the info

• Advertisement
Advertisement