Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mitigating Circumstance in Murder Cases

Options
  • 15-04-2013 10:27am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-19-remanded-in-custody-after-murder-charge-29195876.html

Just having a quick browse this morning and I'm wondering should mitigating circumstances be taken into account in a Murder trial or in any other case, in which a serious crime has been committed.

I don't think for one second that someone on the dole should receive any preferential treatment or under any other circumstance (but in extreme cases only, i.e. proven to be self defence) receive any form of reduction in sentence for good behaviour. If I commit murder, I expect to be thrown away for a good long stretch, I don't see why the rest of the general public should be any different.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Murder, no, but I'd believe in mitigating circumstances in the case of manslaughter. Murder is premeditated; manslaughter could be accidental or provoked. As the wise old Chris Rock once said : "I'm not saying he should have killed the bitch...... but I understand."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Of course, is it not already?

What's needed is stronger sentencing. This is obvious. Life does not equal 14 years. Life is life, no matter what the cost to the state.

Advertisement