Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car or a used 2012 car

Options
  • 15-04-2013 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Looking to change my car - thinking of going for a Saloon type. I've been test driving a lot of cars. Was looking at a 2012 Volkswagon Passat but at weekend got a test drive in a new Opel Astra (saloon version). The Passat comes with 1 years warranty but I can get the Opel Astra (same price) with 5 years warranty. The opel is 1.3 Diesel engine and the Passat is 2.0 Diesel. My main requirement is economy - not too worried about power or 0 to 60 in what ever seconds!!
    I did look at the Jetta but do not like the dashboard.

Any advice. Would you go for a new car with 5 years warranty or a used 2012 car. And does a 2.0 engine use more diesal than a 1.3 engine?

Thanks for any help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No way I'd buy a 2012 car with 1 year warranty.
    Most passats in 2012 were 1.6 TDI

You need to look at more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Personally, i'd opt for the Astra with the 1.3 Cdti and 5 year warranty.

I own a VW and everytime I go to the VW garage I nearly fall over from the prices they quote for simple services or parts. They charge a premium for everything.

The Astra will potentially save you more money with it's 5 year warranty (note, you'll need to have the astra serviced by Opel on a strict regime whereas you can do what you like with the VW)

In terms of fuel economy, do a bit of research on google.

look at and compare the fuel consumption and the CO2 outputs (for tax).

Consider that into your decision; and your overriding preference aswell. which is nicer to drive, prettier to look at, more comfortable, more practical, etc? your call.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

New Vw cars come with a 3 years waranty according to their web site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

New Vw cars come with a 3 years waranty according to their web site.

The warranty prob started on Jan 2012, so a year an a half is esentially used up, with the same remaining. They wont advertise "1.5 years warranty" I don't think. They just stuck 1 years warranty in the advert to play it safe. just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

3 year warranty was only announced in October 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Consider a Hyundai i40 or Kia Optima, OP. Both very nice and comparable to European equivalent on recent test drives (in terms of materials and drive)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Dont know much about them, but seen Mitsubishi offer 8 years warranty now.

Advertisement