Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Curran wants your spondoolicks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rte-to-start-charging-for-online-content-29194707.html
    Well would you pay? Is Mr. Curran right, will future access cost us, or is he talking through his poopshoot? It seems misguided, but sure what do I know.

:confused:

Don't watch RTE online so couldn't give a toss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

justryan wrote: »
    Don't what RTE online so couldn't give a toss :)

Neither do I, but I would not put anything past these backstards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Hows about RTE move all their broadcasting online (as it should be anyway, to save money), make it a subscription service for the Irish as well, and then scrap the TV license (soon to become Internet tax) so people can decide if they want to pay for it or not, and see how long that lasts?

What RTE material could anyone outside of Ireland be interested in anyway? I'd rather they not waste the money setting up such a paywall, when it's not likely to even pay for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Does that mean they'll start paying boards when they lift stuff from here wholemeal?.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

What RTE material could anyone outside of Ireland be interested in anyway? I'd rather they not waste the money setting up such a paywall, when it's not likely to even pay for itself.

I check their website about once a week. Not for the quality of reporting, but for the generic regional Irish news.

Not a hope in hell will I ever pay for online news. They make their money like the others from adverts I presume. Same as TV progs, make money from adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

just stop paying their staff 200k+ and they won't need to charge for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Hows about RTE move all their broadcasting online (as it should be anyway, to save money), make it a subscription service for the Irish as well, and then scrap the TV license (soon to become Internet tax) so people can decide if they want to pay for it or not, and see how long that lasts?

You are obviously au -fait with such situations, but perhaps a recent exile may differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

"We won't be doing that in the Irish audience because people in Ireland pay their licence fee and we are not going to be putting up a general paywall, but we are going to be looking at premium content packages in the international market over the next six months," Mr Curran said.

Massive boom of Irish proxy services and Tor exit nodes in 5, 4, 3...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

12 months behind TV3 then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

RTE One and Two are absolutely terrible stations. Those Irish produced 'dramas' and 'comedies' are some of the most excruciatingly bad things I've ever seen. Fair City combines the misery of Eastenders with even higher levels of bad acting. The comedies they produce are about as funny as genital warts.

Why anyone would go online to watch any nonsense RTE produces is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

RTE One and Two are absolutely terrible stations. Those Irish produced 'dramas' and 'comedies' are some of the most excruciatingly bad things I've ever seen. Fair City combines the misery of Eastenders with even higher levels of bad acting. The comedies they produce are about as funny as genital warts.

Why anyone would go online to watch any nonsense RTE produces is beyond me.

Yet we all have to pay for it. I'd be ok if they charged for online content and I could just get blocked. Then they'd have no excuse to charge me. I don't have a TV or radio, all my entertainment is net based. So I wouldn't mind opting out of the whole thing.

Not that they'll ever give anyone that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Actually RTE drama is world class. It's the best thing they do (although most of it is produced externally), I'm not including Fair City in that as its a soap & is in its own genre.

Their comedies though are so, so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rte-to-start-charging-for-online-content-29194707.html
    Well would you pay? Is Mr. Curran right, will future access cost us, or is he talking through his poopshoot? It seems misguided, but sure what do I know.

:confused:
    "We won't be doing that in the Irish audience because people in Ireland pay their licence fee and we are not going to be putting up a general paywall, but we are going to be looking at premium content packages in the international market over the next six months," Mr Curran said''.

People living in Ireland will not be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

HondaSami wrote: »
    People living in Ireland will not be paying anymore than they already are.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

People in Ireland won't be expected to pay as they pay for TV licence.

People outside of Ireland will be expected to pay since they don't pay TV Licence as can't expect to access the content for free.

Don't really understand see problem here.

No doubt someone will come out with the usual argument that it is the first step to charging us all and the price will quadruple every war...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Rabble Rabble Rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I don't see the issue , the Beeb charge for example ( if you are not in the UK or have a UK VPN )

I live abroad, he can suck my bellend if he wants me to pay for online content. Irish proxy, here we come.

Go for it, but there's no reason why I should subsidise you.

Unfortunately many people have gotten so used to stealing online content such as music and films that they are outraged when someone even suggests they should have to pay for any online content.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I thought that was the point of the Public Service Broadcast Tax.

Edit: Didn't read the article, it's for overseas users. Still, they should just give all license payers login credentials to the site and charge everyone else, that would probably be the best solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If Rte.ie, Rte radio and Rte television disappeared over night I wouldn't miss it. I never use any of it. Used to listen to liveline for comedy reasons, but don't even do that now.
    The fact that I'm forced to pay €170 a year for this, when I see tubrity and finance on half a million a year each is genuinely sickening

Uriel. wrote: »
    ??? I am sure you're a nice chap and all but i wasn't talking to you :p

I was just agreeing with you...and wondering why the username was accepted.

Cienciano wrote: »
    If Rte.ie, Rte radio and Rte television disappeared over night I wouldn't miss it. I never use any of it. Used to listen to liveline for comedy reasons, but don't even do that now.
    The fact that I'm forced to pay €170 a year for this, when I see tubrity and finance on half a million a year each is genuinely sickening

Is it not €160 still?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Is it not €160 still?

No idea, I never pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭jasonbourne.cs

I thought they were bringing in some sort of Media licence to cover both TV and Computers accessing RTE anyway . ( which i still think is BS )

cant stand RTE ! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

To be honest, I know plenty of people living abroad who would have no problem paying the cost of the TV licence if it meant that they were able to log in and stream GAA and rugby matches live without having to Go and search for unreliable streams.

It's a proper moneyspinner and have no idea why RTE haven't offered it before now. In theory it would be grand, they will probably fup up the implementation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Is this not standard stuff, really? Charging those from overseas to access their content when citizens here are expected to cough up for the TV License?

For the likes of GAA or other sports and providing steady streaming, it should be a nice money-spinner on it's own.

Nothing a VPN wouldn't sort out, anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So hes just suggesting a standard model in use by most other national broadcasters? Dont see the big deal but also cant see many paying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Is this not standard stuff, really? Charging those from overseas to access their content when citizens here are expected to cough up for the TV License?

For the likes of GAA or other sports and providing steady streaming, it should be a nice money-spinner on it's own.

Nothing a VPN wouldn't sort out, anyways.

Friend of mine in Switzerland has his own Irish VPN to watch GAA but said that RTE started blocking access to video content from it.

This was last April or thereabouts, not sure what the story is now though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

RTE.
    This should be in the paleontology forum.

Advertisement